Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2014, 20:25   #31
BHPian

Re: Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
There's a dichotomy of opinions as to whether to change the O-rings and hoses to HNBR during R12>R134a conversion. Some consider the HNBR material to be more leak-resistant and less porous than those used with R12 systems, and thus leakages from the system are eliminated. Others say old hoses and O-rings can leak anyway - it has nothing to do with the material - so why change hoses and O-rings unless refrigerant leakage is a major problem.

I wanted to know which opinion your AC mechanic agrees with.
You are right friend. I actually checked my system for leakage with nitrogen, overnight and then only decided to not replace the hose and 'O' rings. This is what my A/c guy suggests too. And more over I have done the same process in two other vehicle of mine. I have absolutely no issues in other vehicles for more than 5 years, not even replaced a single hose or 'O' ring.

Thank you.
ashvar87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 00:02   #32
BHPian

The car looks so sweet after the restoration work.
I understand its difficult, but try to source the original ORVM,that way it makes it perfect.
Thanks for sharing the photographs.
CaliforniaKnight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 10:49   #33
BHPian

Wow ashwin. !! it has come out really wonderful. thanks for almost daily update , I enjoyed watching it .

I am sure you will have lot of curious people to answer when ever you take her out !!

Convey all Team BHPian's wishes to the team who made this happen to you with their heart in.

also if possible, could you share the Coimbatore shop address where you sourced paint products ( filler, polish, laquer etc...)

Ananth

Last edited by Ananth_shukti : 24th March 2014 at 10:49. Reason: typo error
Ananth_shukti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 11:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

Excellent restoration Ashwin ! The SS80 is always a favorite and especially when it is Red. Kudos ! One request I have is would you be able to suggest any quality paint booths in Chennai, considering you are in the automobile line? Thanks.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 12:42   #35
Senior - BHPian

excellent job. The right side headlight needs to leveled. Looks like it is pushed in slightly.
kutlee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 11:16   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight View Post
The car looks so sweet after the restoration work.
I understand its difficult, but try to source the original ORVM,that way it makes it perfect.
Thanks for sharing the photographs.
Thank you for your wishes friend. I am already on a hunt for the ORVM, soon will get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananth_shukti View Post
Wow ashwin. !! it has come out really wonderful. thanks for almost daily update , I enjoyed watching it .

I am sure you will have lot of curious people to answer when ever you take her out !!

Convey all Team BHPian's wishes to the team who made this happen to you with their heart in.

also if possible, could you share the Coimbatore shop address where you sourced paint products ( filler, polish, laquer etc...)

Ananth
Thank you for your wishes Ananth, of course many curious people every time, to know what I have done. It is really a privilege. I conveyed your wishes to my team and they were all surprised to see these many supporters for the restoration.

Regarding the spares, i sourced most of them from Dhanam & Rajkrishna from Coimbatore. Fillers I bought it from my place, paints were all purchased from Bangalore, not sure about the shop name but somewhere near BTM layout, Putty alone purchased from Coimbatore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Excellent restoration Ashwin ! The SS80 is always a favorite and especially when it is Red. Kudos ! One request I have is would you be able to suggest any quality paint booths in Chennai, considering you are in the automobile line? Thanks.
Thank you for your wishes friend. You are very right, SS80's are always beautiful and with German red, they look more beautiful. I am not very sure about Chennai paint booths friend, any-ways will enquire for you and let you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
excellent job. The right side headlight needs to leveled. Looks like it is pushed in slightly.
Thank you Kutlee, I actually checked the focussing, I don't have any issue as yet.
Old 8th April 2014, 05:46   #37
BHPian

Do you have any updates/recent pictures of the restoration process? Were you able to source rest of the replacement parts?

When are you planning to gift the car to your dad?
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2014, 14:13   #38
BHPian

Sorry for the delayed updates friends. The car is already gifted to my dad and he is enjoying driving it everyday. I could see him driving with pride, when lot of curious faces keeps looking, till he passes by in his SS80, hope he has got lot of fans

Meanwhile I have completed the upholstery work, some how I have replicated the original Stanley Seat covers to act as a over cover and also to protect the original Stanley Seats present in the car and I have replicated the floor carpet also. Here are some pictures for you all.

My Dad with his pride
Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad-img_2960.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad-imag1520.jpg  

Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad-imag1519.jpg  

Tasteful Maruti SS80 Restoration, my gift to Dad-imag1515.jpg  

Last edited by ashvar87 : 8th May 2014 at 14:17.
ashvar87 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 09:23   #39

Hi,
I am looking for weather strips and runner beadings for my SS80. Can you guide me where can I get or can I use it from Type 1 model
Old 16th July 2014, 10:03   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent restoration Ashwin! I have no words to explain how much I adore your restored car. However I would like to suggest a few things from my side.
1. Please get the monograms fixed on the boot and the front grill in the same original way.
2. Please get that chrome beading fixed on the rear hatch gate and the window line.

Your replicated seat looks awesome BTW.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 12:38   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujitknaik View Post
Hi,
I am looking for weather strips and runner beadings for my SS80. Can you guide me where can I get or can I use it from Type 1 model
Dear Sujitknaik, Weather strips are the toughest parts to find. Actually the weather strips in my SS80 are still as good as new, so I didn't have a chance to replace it, any ways I am still on a hunt for one.

I would suggest you an easy, cost effective and practical alternative for the OE weather strips. Get two pairs of weather strips of Maruti Omnie / Gypsy, cut the weather strip to desired level and fix it. With this weather strip you can still retain the aluminium channels. Hope this clarifies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Excellent restoration Ashwin! I have no words to explain how much I adore your restored car. However I would like to suggest a few things from my side.
1. Please get the monograms fixed on the boot and the front grill in the same original way.
2. Please get that chrome beading fixed on the rear hatch gate and the window line.

Your replicated seat looks awesome BTW.
Thank you so much bro. Really feeling great and happy with your comments.

1. I am still on a hunt for the monograms
2. I am still unable to get the water channel chrome beading

Let me know if you come across any of theses stuffs.

Thank you.
Old 16th July 2014, 13:04   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvar87 View Post

Thank you so much bro. Really feeling great and happy with your comments.

1. I am still on a hunt for the monograms
2. I am still unable to get the water channel chrome beading

Let me know if you come across any of theses stuffs.

Thank you.
Sure. Will ask my local spare parts shop. Last time I checked, he had good stock of SS80 spares and told me that off late they have again been in demand. So let's hope I can find them for you.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 12:51   #43

Hi Ashwin, do we Rear Tail lamps, if yes let me know the shops I can check.
Old 17th July 2014, 21:28   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujitknaik View Post
Hi Ashwin, do we Rear Tail lamps, if yes let me know the shops I can check.
Hi Ashwin, where do we get Rear Tail lamps, if yes let me know the shops I can check.
Old 18th July 2014, 01:48   #45
NKN
BHPian

Fantastic work and painstakingly done up. Congrats....
Noted in the Pics that the wipers & the antenna on the front were not fixed- has it been completed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks