Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2016, 12:45   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Buying a Towing Rope

No... Because then you get DIY rear ending (my expression might catch on!) using a hard narrow object, which would be much worse.
Old 5th November 2016, 17:42   #32
Senior - BHPian

The rope on both sides could prevent that, couldn't it? Maybe a foot and a half on either side...

Reminds me of a joke we used to tell each other:
Upon seeing two trucks, one towing the other using a piece of rope, Santa said to Santa: Look at those idiots! Two trucks to carry a small piece of rope!

And on a road trip to Solapur many years ago when we drove past two trucks parked by the roadside, my brother could not help but quip: See, they are busy searching for a piece of rope to carry!
Old 5th November 2016, 20:22   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The rope on both sides could prevent that, couldn't it? Maybe a foot and a half on either side...
A new guy moves into the village. Whenever he goes out, he takes a piece of string with him, and drags it on the ground behind him. Everybody notices, but for a while, nobody actually says anything.

Eventually, the curiosity gets too much for one youngster, who asks the guy, straight out. "Why do you always pull a piece of string?"

The guy replies, "Have you ever tried pushing one?"
And there, in one of my favourite jokes, is your answer. Adding a steel tube to the string just adds danger. Visualise what happens when the towing vehicle brakes sharply.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 20:33   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah, so for the 1st time ever in my driving life I bought an "El-Cheapo" towing rope/cable from Amazon. I don't expect too much from those hooks but heck if in a sticky situation this towing cable can be tied with a knot to pull a car or LMV in trouble.

Here's the product:

http://www.amazon.in/Romic-Heavy-Dut...862088&sr=1-29

Costs a measly 300 bucks. So don't expect it to pull a SUV or larger vehicle. In which case you may need two of these things.
Old 23rd February 2017, 20:41   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Yeah, so for the 1st time ever in my driving life I bought an "El-Cheapo" towing rope/cable from Amazon. I don't expect too much from those hooks but heck if in a sticky situation this towing cable can be tied with a knot to pull a car or LMV in trouble.
Please don't use such cheap cables, they are not really rated. It is very dangerous for the users.

Here is an example of what happens when cheap tow cables are used. The next post shows how people died due to cable break.

A good 3T cable will cost 1500 bucks.

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd February 2017 at 20:44.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 21:12   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Please don't use such cheap cables, they are not really rated. It is very dangerous for the users.

Here is an example of what happens when cheap tow cables are used. The next post shows how people died due to cable break.

A good 3T cable will cost 1500 bucks.
Thanks Samurai.

No kidding, but now where do I get a good quality tow cable? I'll use this POS I purchased from Amazon as a bungee cord
Old 23rd February 2017, 22:05   #37
Team-BHP Support

We have a thread on that: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...4x4-india.html (Places to buy stuff for Off-Roading/4x4 in India)
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 20:17   #38
BHPian

Can anyone recommend me a good Tow Cable / Strap for Innova Crysta? Kerb Weight is 1.8 - 1.9 ton.

The ones I am seeing on Amazon India even for the 3 Ton grades are having mixed reactions. I believe this is one area where we need to have a higher quality assurance as it will need to perform once in a blue moon but that might be the most critical moment, so it better be the right one.
Old 23rd October 2020, 18:48   #39
BHPian

This one seems to be rated for 8 tonnes

https://www.amazon.in/Breewell-Emerg...6Z/ref=sr_1_3?

The user reviews seem to be good.
With Amazon you do have the option of returning it if you do not find it upto par.
Fernang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 00:40   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernang View Post
This one seems to be rated for 8 tonnes

https://www.amazon.in/Breewell-Emerg...6Z/ref=sr_1_3?
This is my response as a one-time hobby sailor...

1. Mainly: I wouldn't favour steel/wire rope for a tow line. Zero elasticity; every little jerk will be savagely transmitted.

And

2. I wouldn't want to put eight tons on those crimped loops. I'd want a proper splice.

3. They aren't done neatly. One can see a whisker of wire sticking out.

4. Those eye "splices" should have thimbles. That's the steel bit that goes in the middle.

Corrections welcome from real seamen!

I'd favour nylon, as it has a little bit of stretch, which is why it is used for mooring lines (as opposed to polyester for rigging). Trouble is that here, "nylon rope" is used as a synonym for "artificial fibre" rope of all sorts sorts, including that stuff from hell, polypropylene (often blue or orange, used for fishing nets and washing lines).
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 05:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Can anyone recommend me a good Tow Cable / Strap for Innova Crysta? Kerb Weight is 1.8 - 1.9 ton.

The ones I am seeing on Amazon India even for the 3 Ton grades are having mixed reactions. I believe this is one area where we need to have a higher quality assurance as it will need to perform once in a blue moon but that might be the most critical moment, so it better be the right one.
This is what I have kept in the boot and used it once to pull out a stuck Xylo in soft sand. It has good reviews as well.

Romic Heavy Duty 3T Car Towing Rope https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01EAEJK84/...ing=UTF8&psc=1
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks