Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2006, 16:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

800 Consuming coolant

Hey guys have a 1998 800(i guess everyone knows it by now for the amount of problems my car is giving).Run 63800 km carburated.Since around 3000 km i have been noticing that every 700 to 800 km the coolant container which is present in the bonnet becomes empty and i have keep refilling it again and again.There is no coolant in the oil nor any oil in the coolant.There is no visible smoke from behind too.
Opened the bonnet and got it checked with the mechanic.There was no visible leaks anywhere.He was thinking that maybe the tube which carries water from the coolant container to the radiator must be leaking and cut the pipe and fixed it tightly.
But still the coolant consumption continues.I have one more doubt.Whenever i open the bonnet to check the coolant level in the coolant container the coolant container cap is always open and i always close it back and everytime i check again its open.Can all the coolant just evaporate from the container if the cap is open?chances of the coolant spilling out are nill as maybe even if it spills than half of it will be gone and not the entire coolant

Last edited by humyum : 8th July 2006 at 16:19.
Old 8th July 2006, 16:51   #2
BHPian

Humyum, I too have an 800, a 2002 5 speed, run 49000 km. I too have been noticing a slightly increased consumption of coolant. Till now I have never had to even top up coolant in my car. The six-seven monthly service routine I adopt is the time it has always been topped up. But since my last service in May, I am already almost reaching the low level marker on the coolant overflow container. It could be partly because the traffic has for the past month has been heavy and slow (I take the Western highway and go upto Kandivili West) and I have the AC on most of the time. However, that has been the case for the past two years. So, something might be the matter. There is no leakage under the car, no smoke or FE issues. Just this. Like you, I too am a little confused about this. Can anybody help. Humyum, if I find a solution, I shall let you know. Please do likewise. Thanks.
Old 8th July 2006, 17:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

prabhu i dont think it can be because of traffic.as both of us have been using the car normally all these years without any coolant consumption complaints same as for u as for me the coolant consumption problem cropped up after i got my car from service.Hmm for me the ac is off most of the time but the car iis run at considerably speeds say 80 to 100.But i dont think that has got anything to do with excessive coolant consumption.Prabhu i am going to the service station on monday afternoon maybe or tuesday.I will let u know happens.Guys give us suggestion regarding this problem before i go to the service station.
Old 8th July 2006, 21:00   #4
BHPian

since u say theres no smoke coming of the exhaust and all seems well otherwise, i come to zeroing on a leak in the connection from coolant reservoir to radiator.

keep the engine started, open up hood, WITH CAUTION hope u know the basics (dont let loose garments and ur hands get into moving parts) Wear some eye protection now get to where the throttle cable meets carb. and give a bit of throttle pull release pull release and observe the coonection from coolant reservoir to radiator. u will be able to spot some leak which will be visible only when throttled.

if u still find there is no such leak then i feel coolant may be getting into the engine and being burnt. Open the Engine Oil Inlet Cover and observe the Cover if u see some whitish mayonaise kind of stuff around the cover it means coolant is getting into engine. if thats the find then its head gasket work.

btw did u smell ur CAR exhaust at the rear. dont get me wrong!! if its sweet smell then u have a blown gasket.

Another check is to fill the cooling system to the brim and remove the radiator cap. Do this when the engine is cool. Start the engine and race it. If there is a compression leak and the gasses are going into the cooling jacket then the gasses will displace the coolant. Since the cap is off the coolant will be pushed out of the radiator. You probably have a blown head gasket

Last edited by 2fast4u : 8th July 2006 at 21:04.
Old 8th July 2006, 21:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

2fast4u.Yes sir i have been checking the engine oil since 3000 km.There is no coolant in the engine oil and no oil in the coolant.So we can rule that out.There is no visible leak from anywhere:(.Makes me wonder can the coolant enter the engine oil without showing traces of it in the engine oil?I think if coolant were to even mix with the engine oil it would get burnt but if it is getting burnt than smoke should come out from tail piple.
Also when i lock the container lid in the coolant reservoir after filling with water.The container lid gets locked properly but when i check it again after a few days its always open.Has it got something to do with some pressure built up or something?
As u said about the coolant leaking from the reservoir the mechanic suspected this sometime back and cut the tube and fixed it again and told me 99% the problem should be solved but when i open it again after around 800 km the coolant reservoir is full empty
Hey about the head gasket work.This would happen only if the car gets overheated right the headgasket would go but my car in its entire life has never overheated

Last edited by humyum : 8th July 2006 at 21:11.
Old 8th July 2006, 21:34   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum
2fast4u.Yes sir i have been checking the engine oil since 3000 km.There is no coolant in the engine oil and no oil in the coolant.So we can rule that out.There is no visible leak from anywhere:(.Makes me wonder can the coolant enter the engine oil without showing traces of it in the engine oil?I think if coolant were to even mix with the engine oil it would get burnt but if it is getting burnt than smoke should come out from tail piple.
Also when i lock the container lid in the coolant reservoir after filling with water.The container lid gets locked properly but when i check it again after a few days its always open.Has it got something to do with some pressure built up or something?
As u said about the coolant leaking from the reservoir the mechanic suspected this sometime back and cut the tube and fixed it again and told me 99% the problem should be solved but when i open it again after around 800 km the coolant reservoir is full empty
Hey about the head gasket work.This would happen only if the car gets overheated right the headgasket would go but my car in its entire life has never overheated
not necessarily the HG can go off if it has some weak sealing at some point.

SINCE u say ur mech has done some job on the hose do as i told opening the hood and pulling at the throttle should get u to see some leak which could be so small but could let out a lot of coolant in form of mist / spray. Take care of ur eyes.

btw did u note the smell of the exhaust, if its sweet smell its the HG.

check oil when engine is warm (NOT HOT). If it looks like chocolate creamy then you "probably" have a blown head gasket.

also look at the condition of the spark plugs. Any plug that looks different from the rest should be suspect. if plug looks cleaner than the rest or has a white powder on it then suspect that one
Old 9th July 2006, 14:26   #7
BHPian

Bhai...I think its time you chose another steed..! Or if thats not an option which usually never is when you get attached to your car...Send it to a Good MASS or Service Masters for a complete overhaul..It will cost you a small bomb..however everything will be checked, replaced,repaired..repainted..re-upholstered etc...the works..! At least..she will get more life..and you will be free from these issues which keep occuring...!

Last edited by wolfinstein : 9th July 2006 at 14:27.
Old 9th July 2006, 15:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wolfinstein i have been thinking about a new car since sometime but till i have this babe i want to keep it in a good condition up and workingeven the though of not seeing this 800 of mine in the parking lot gives me shivers.
Old 10th July 2006, 15:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Guys gave the to spectra motors today.The actual amount they are refunding is Rs650.The Head manager there tried to talk me out into giving me free service and all i said NO.I told him that coolant was gettin depleted from my car and so he better check everything.He said they will change the lower hose,elbow,remove all the coolant and fill in new coolant.Pressure test the entire system.
2fast4u.He checked the engine oil cap and he said that if coolant was leaking into the engine than cap pe jaag hota.Did not understand what he meant by that.Everything seemed fine and said he could not understand where the leak was but then he will check everything with the pressure testing machine.He gave me an estimate of 1000 to 1500 bucks.Is this ok?
Old 11th July 2006, 20:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Guys got the car today from the service station.Got a bill of 75 rupees.The other all amount was adjusted as compensation which they had to refund me for the braking issues which i discussed in the other thread.
The problem turned out to be the hose which connects the cylinder block to the elbow joint was leaking coolant.It was going to burst anytime as it had worn out a lot.Got the problem sorted out.They flushed the entire system as well as filled in new coolant+water.
prabuddhadg=i hope u get your car checked too and sort out the problem.Sometimes minor precaution will stop a major disaster from happening
Old 11th July 2006, 21:56   #11
BHPian

Quote:
2fast4u.He checked the engine oil cap and he said that if coolant was leaking into the engine than cap pe jaag hota.
it usually develops a creamy sort of stuff under the cap, something like mayonaise or yogurt.

btw i did till u to pull the throttle cable near carb which would show u where the leak is. this leak will show when the car is throttled as then the pressure builds up and the leak will be visible under normal idling u wont be able to see any leak.

also now note the date when u have flushed the system and do this every 2yrs if ur cooling system is in good condition and if u doubt it get it done yearly or every 100K kms.
also when u start car first thing in morning just check the Heater, move switch (if ones there in the 800) move it to HOT and check to feel a hot blast at idle. if u get real hot air it means ur system has been flushed and the cooling system is in top condition.

thanks and keep us posted on all future issues and the results.
Old 13th July 2006, 15:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
prabuddhadg=i hope u get your car checked too and sort out the problem.Sometimes minor precaution will stop a major disaster from happening
Thanks Humyum. I read your post and checked all the hoses in my car. They were all right. So, I hope I will not get stranded with a leaking- or even worst- burst hose. But still, I shall get my car checked this Sunday. I too go to Spectra Malad, but till now I have not had reason to complain. In fact, while filling up the response form they give with the bill, I had given them a low rating for the quality of washing of the car, and for making me wait for service. Within a week I got a call from someone in Gurgaon, who wanted to know whether the Spectra guys were any good. Then they sent me some gift to appease me.
Old 13th July 2006, 16:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Prabhu even i though that there is no leak in the hoses after checking them.But there was this one hose which was not visible and was leaking coolant only when the engine was running and pressure developed in the hoses.The condition of the hose was so bad the service station guy told me that it would have burst anytime.
I go to spectra motors(ghatkopar)and after the brake problem ka incident i had with them i had been to them this time because i had to collect a refund and get the coolant problem sorted out as i had to collect cash(labour charges)they were giving me back for the sad work they did on my brakes.
Now as all Len den is over.I would never ever go to spectra motors(ghatkopar)again after my experience with them.Its gonna ravi automobiles near somaiya coll which is a MASS.The guy there Mr shashank who is the service advisor as well as the relative of the owner of the service station actually listens to the problem.Checks it out himself.Opens everything up right in front of u and then shows u exactly what is wrong.Its going to be ravi automobiles for my this babe as well as the new babe when she comes
Old 13th July 2006, 18:46   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Prabhu even i though that there is no leak in the hoses after checking them.But there was this one hose which was not visible and was leaking coolant only when the engine was running and pressure developed in the hoses.The condition of the hose was so bad the service station guy told me that it would have burst anytime.
Thanks Humyum. I shall take a risk till Sunday. Or perhaps I shall check for the leak at the end of either of my drives to or from office, which is over 30 km, i.e. long enough to heat up and create enough pressure in the hoses.
Thanks once again.
Old 16th July 2006, 00:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
Thanks Humyum. I shall take a risk till Sunday. Or perhaps I shall check for the leak at the end of either of my drives to or from office, which is over 30 km, i.e. long enough to heat up and create enough pressure in the hoses.
Thanks once again.
the leak cant be seen this way.

get the engine on idle, open the hood and pull the throttle cable i.e. increasing idle (BE CAREFUL OF MOVING OBJECTS AND UR TIE, SLEEVES ETC) USE GOGS for UR EYES now u will be able to see the leak if any it will be kind of mist or spray or small ooze in pressure.
cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks