Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2014, 11:58   #31
BHPian

Re: Brakes - A few tips that could help

I own a GT TSi that has done 12k Kms. With normal city driving the brakes are just fine. However once the brakes heat up even slight pressure on the brake pedal causes sever juddering (usually at speeds above 110 kmph). Whats weird is even if I break at 140 kmph there is no juddering if the brake temperature is normal. Its only when the temperature increases this occurs. The VW center guys say that even skimming wont help..not sure what to do now
Old 28th December 2014, 19:08   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
I own a GT TSi that has done 12k Kms. With normal city driving the brakes are just fine. However once the brakes heat up even slight pressure on the brake pedal causes sever juddering (usually at speeds above 110 kmph). Whats weird is even if I break at 140 kmph there is no juddering if the brake temperature is normal. Its only when the temperature increases this occurs. The VW center guys say that even skimming wont help..not sure what to do now
I guess the thing that you are encountering is brake fade where the brakes won't be effective once they get hot but on normal temperature they work normally.

Anurag.
Old 28th December 2014, 19:56   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats not something to do with brake fade. I face the same issue in my SX4 and the characteristics are the same. Upon spirited driving on the highway and after a round of few hard braking cycles, the brake disc heats up and the pedal judders like crazy even with the slightest braking. If driven sedately on the highway, with less brake usage there is no issue at any speed.

The service centre owner whom I spoke about this issue told that this is due to minute imperfection caused when only a few areas of the brake disc will rust. This minor imperfection becomes more prominent as the brake disc heats up since the metal may expand. He told skimming wouldnt work unless its done in a real precise manner. Hence I decided to change the brake discs this service since it doesnt cost much at all. A set of brake disc and pad will solve the problem I am told.

Moreover, another issue with us is since the car isnt driven daily, the discs will undergo irregular rusting on places exposed to air while the part of the disc covered by the caliper would rust less. Hence these days I use the car for a bit after its washed to get rid of moisture from the brakes.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2014, 21:41   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You can try bleeding the brake lines and replacing the brake fluid. Brake fluid over time absorbs moisture which reduces its boiling point as a result it vaporizes and doesn't provide the pressure that it ought to. I had experienced a sort of grinding noise while braking, only when the brakes were hot with my Laura. Brake fluid replacement completely solved the problem. Of course I also replaced pads at the same time. Its worth a shot before you try anything else as shot as brake fluid is quite cheap.
Old 2nd January 2015, 19:28   #35
BANNED

Quote:
1. Repace your pads and rotors.

2. Read the OP again as it covers the very same issues you are facing and are also likely to face even after you change the rotors and pads.

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 2nd January 2015 at 19:30.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 19:50   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had the same problem. You can find my post in the very first page of this thread. At that time, this was the reply i got from - VeyronSuperSprt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
This is something that most ASS's do. However, Insist that you want the rotors and pads replaced under warranty and that the car is not comfortable to drive at 120 kmph. Depending on the amount of pressure you put on them, they will agree to replace your pads. It is certainly not advisable to continue with the current level of judder as it will gradually increase with time.
That time my cars odo reading was at 31,000kms. At 34,000 kms i changed the brake pads and both the rotors. My problem is 100% solved now. At any speed i apply the brakes there is absolutely no judder. I have tested applying the brakes nearing the cars top speed too but its absolutly fine.

So from my experience i will suggest you to replace the brake pads and rotors.

VeyronSuperSprt, i should have replied to this thread after i changed the parts but i totally forgot to do so. My bad. But now i want to thank you for your valuable suggestion, it helped me.

Last edited by Samba : 2nd January 2015 at 19:53.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed