Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 15:15   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Reasons why AC Cooling gets very poor with time

Models earlier to K-Series (Equipped with F10D Engines) are not compatible with the AC filters and I have tried fitting the AC filter but in Vain.

Instead, these cars accumulate duct near the blower unit (Behind the glovebox) that needs periodic cleaning using high pressure air.

That's it - You don't need anything else apart from this for the AC to keep running like new.

I must mention that in the last 220k Kms, except for replacing the Water Pump and ALternator belt on periodic intervals (Twice till now), I have never got the AC serviced as such.

Every time I asked, I could notice that the Gas pressure was intact.

The only thing I want to do now is replacing the condensor as it has got a lot of broken/damaged fins.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 15:21   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
BTW I do change the AC/Cabin filters at 10K or 15K intervals. Currently using "Bosch Active Carbon Filters".
Could you please tell me where you get the Bosch filters? I like the odour-reducing nature of these activated carbon filters.
Old 6th January 2015, 15:30   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Could you please tell me where you get the Bosch filters? I like the odour-reducing nature of these activated carbon filters.
Arun, they are available online as well.

However, you can inquire with the following Dealers -

Quote:
Vijaya Motors
No. 19/1-2 H
Siddiah Road
Bangalore - 560002
Email Address: vijayadsls@yahoo.com

Nayak Diesels &Electrical Pvt Ltd
#64 (A-6) D.D.U.T.T. Ltd.,
Bangalore - 560027
Phone No: 080-23477913
Email Address: ndeltd@gmail.com
Vikas Trade Links
No.4,Old No.130/2, New Pid No. 48-96-4,
Bangalore - 560062
Phone No: 080-41131727
Email Address: vikastradel@gmail.com

Karuna Stores
No.47/1, Siddaiah Road,
Bangalore - 560027
Phone No: 080-22222376
Email Address: karunablr@airtelmail.in

The Bangalore Motor Owners
No. 36, Pampamahakavi Road,
Chamrajpet,
Bangalore - 560018
Phone No: 080-22960301
Email Address: hcv@bmoccs.com

M/s Concur Marketing Pvt Ltd.,
106,6Th Main Road, IInd Stage,
II Phase, Woc Road,
Bangalore - 560086
Phone No: 080-2319326
Email Address: concurmkt.ananth@gmail.com
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 20:24   #64
BHPian

Optra Magnum AC nightmare

Hi friends,

My Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0 has run 1,47,000 KM. AC was not cooling, so went to service center. Firstly they said control valve needs to be replaced. After that still problem was persisting and now they came to the conclusion that AC compressor, condensor and receiver drier need to be replaced. The total cost of the said parts is around Rs. 80,000.

Can I go for parts available in the market? If so what are the pros and cons? Please help.
Old 4th April 2015, 20:40   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Optra Magnum AC nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
AC compressor, condensor and receiver drier need to be replaced. The total cost of the said parts is around Rs. 80,000.

Can I go for parts available in the market? If so what are the pros and cons?
What else is there in AC circuit? They mean the complete HVAC system (minus few bits) to be changed? I would suggest you to approach a reliable AC mechanic. After market parts are pretty good now a days and you can definitely go for them. All that you need is a good mechanic & reliable source for parts.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2015, 20:47   #66
BHPian

Mr.Boss,

The car is at authorized service center for the past 4 days. They said they have flushed the AC system, changed the control valve but still the problem hasn't resolved. Today they tried substituting other car's compressor, condenser etc and concluded that those need to be replaced.

Yes I have talked to an AC mechanic through a reliable source. He said after market parts are available for much lesser price. But like you said I need to be sure if all those parts really need to be replaced.

Is it ok for these 3 parts to start malfunctioning after 1,47,000 KM or is it too early?

Last edited by chevyman : 4th April 2015 at 20:48. Reason: grammar
Old 4th April 2015, 23:04   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is it ok for these 3 parts to start malfunctioning after 1,47,000 KM or is it too early?
1.5L km is a reasonable mileage for these parts to fail. Move your car from A.S.S to an reliable AC mechanic.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 18:34   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The car is at authorized service center for the past 4 days. They said they have flushed the AC system, changed the control valve but still the problem hasn't resolved. Today they tried substituting other car's compressor, condenser etc and concluded that those need to be replaced.
Does the condenser have a leak? If not why are they changing it? Also, if the condenser has a leak, let them fix it first and then come to compressor issue. Also, why did they change the diverter valve without fixing the condenser leak?

The whole thing looks like a scam to me. Please go to a reliable AC service guy and check for leaks first.

Then move on to other parts.

Quote:
IMO, no. AC's last looonnnggg. The only issue with Automobile AC's is that they start developing leaks, which can be fixed and run as good as new. The other parts to fail are, thermostats, relays etc..
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2015, 19:07   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

IMO, no. AC's last looonnnggg. The only issue with Automobile AC's is that they start developing leaks, which can be fixed and run as good as new. The other parts to fail are, thermostats, relays etc..
Thanks for apprising about leaks and AC parts durability. Very useful information. I am going to an AC mechanic tomorrow. Hope things work out fine.
Old 14th April 2015, 21:54   #70
BHPian

Re: Understanding Car Air-Conditioners

Would someone explain what the circled thing is in the pic below?

Understanding Car Air-Conditioners-dscn9640.jpg

It was in the rear AC unit of our Indigo XL and I noticed a similar looking thing when the AC guy had come in to repair the window unit in our house.
Old 15th April 2015, 14:50   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Does the condenser have a leak? If not why are they changing it? Also, if the condenser has a leak, let them fix it first and then come to compressor issue. Also, why did they change the diverter valve without fixing the condenser leak?

The whole thing looks like a scam to me. Please go to a reliable AC service guy and check for leaks first.

Then move on to other parts.

UPDATE:

I had gone to a reliable a.c mechanic. He said there is some wrong connection in the wiring, added some compressor oil, topped up the gas and a.c stated working perfectly without needing to replace any parts.

But few days later I had gone on a long trip of 350 KM. On the onward journey there were no problems. But while returning, a.c stopped cooling while the car was in traffic in city or stationary and engine was over-heating, but a.c worked perfectly when car was in top gear on highway and engine heating was normal. But engine isn't over-heating while stationary or in traffic if a.c is switched off. Also I was experiencing slightly jerky feeling while accelerating on highway.

I called the a.c mechanic and he said there might be coolant circulation problem or radiator may be malfunctioning.

So what exactly is happening? Chevrolet service center guys in Hyderabad are the most incompetent personnel I have ever seen. They will straightaway suggest replacement of some parts amounting to Rs. 50K+ easily.
chevyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 16:25   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
Would someone explain what the circled thing is in the pic below?

It was in the rear AC unit of our Indigo XL and I noticed a similar looking thing when the AC guy had come in to repair the window unit in our house.
That looks like a temperature sensor to me.
Old 15th April 2015, 19:50   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
That looks like a temperature sensor to me.
Ah! That is what I'd deduced this afternoon considering it's location. Thanks anyways

Damn, I'm smart
Old 16th April 2015, 08:04   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:

I had gone to a reliable a.c mechanic. He said there is some wrong connection in the wiring, added some compressor oil, topped up the gas and a.c stated working perfectly without needing to replace any parts.

But few days later I had gone on a long trip of 350 KM. On the onward journey there were no problems. But while returning, a.c stopped cooling while the car was in traffic in city or stationary and engine was over-heating, but a.c worked perfectly when car was in top gear on highway and engine heating was normal. But engine isn't over-heating while stationary or in traffic if a.c is switched off. Also I was experiencing slightly jerky feeling while accelerating on highway.

I called the a.c mechanic and he said there might be coolant circulation problem or radiator may be malfunctioning.

So what exactly is happening? Chevrolet service center guys in Hyderabad are the most incompetent personnel I have ever seen. They will straightaway suggest replacement of some parts amounting to Rs. 50K+ easily.
Check the relay of your AC Fan. It might be funtioning intermittently and the non-functioning fan may be leading to the over-heating. Not an expensive part so worth replacing. Replaced one on my previous Lancer for 180/- some years back.
Old 14th May 2015, 11:34   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
UPDATE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
Check the relay of your AC Fan. It might be funtioning intermittently and the non-functioning fan may be leading to the over-heating. Not an expensive part so worth replacing. Replaced one on my previous Lancer for 180/- some years back.
Engine overheating , while idling with A/C on. Check the V-Belts. Are they under proper tension?
Non-Functioning fan can be due to relay failure, or some other problem in the wiring, or even a broken bearing (will make a lot of noise though - so you will know it's kaput.)

Most Viewed