Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2015, 20:33   #91
BHPian

Re: Understanding Car Air-Conditioners

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
It's a thermostat malfunction. Also known as thermistor. The sensor that cuts-off the compressor when optimum cooling temperature is reached. The malfunction causes the evaporator core or cooling coil to over-cool and form ice which restricts air flow and stops the cooling.
But in Bangalore, during my daily drive, it usually cools down very much, but does not cuts-off. I have to switch off the ac.
Old 29th May 2015, 20:48   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrvarier View Post
But in Bangalore, during my daily drive, it usually cools down very much, but does not cuts-off. I have to switch off the ac.
Exactly. It is not cutting off. That's only possible with a thermistor/thermostat malfunction. The ice is apparently forming on higher engine revs like the highway when the ac works at it's peak efficiency because it gets optimum high engine rpm coupled with good airflow for the condensor too hence making great cooling. Ideally the ac cuts off at faster rates in this situation but since that is not happening you're getting iced up.
Old 4th June 2015, 11:20   #93
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Innova Air-Conditioners

This Innova's roof was getting some dent work done on roof and the headliner was removed. Overhead air duct layout in Innova is very impressive and hence took photos for our forum member's learning:

Understanding Car Air-Conditioners-imag0535.jpg

Understanding Car Air-Conditioners-imag0537.jpg

Understanding Car Air-Conditioners-imag0536.jpg

Understanding Car Air-Conditioners-imag0538.jpg

Understanding Car Air-Conditioners-imag0539.jpg

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 12:20   #94
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Air-Conditioners

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
This Innova's roof was getting some dent work done on roof and the headliner was removed. Overhead air duct layout in Innova is very impressive and hence took photos for our forum member's learning:
So it is just ducting there, no evaporator coil?
Impressive that it is able to maintain the temperature even when the roof is hot!
Old 5th June 2015, 14:00   #95
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Air-Conditioners

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
So it is just ducting there, no evaporator coil?
Impressive that it is able to maintain the temperature even when the roof is hot!
Secondary evaporator is behind the RHS paneling on the last row seat. It also has an air filter that no one ever cleans or replaces :-(
BTW a related but old thread here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ploaded-2.html
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 21:10   #96
BHPian

i20 Air-Conditioner Stopped Working

Hey Folks

I have 2013 i20 that is under 2 years old. About a week ago, the A/C stopped working - the light would come on and there is air flow, but no cool air at all. Since it was about time for the 40k service as well, I handed the car over to Trident Hyundai in Bangalore and after inspection, I get a call saying that fixing the A/C will work out to about Rs.8,000.

I don't see how something could have failed so bad that it would cost me over 8k to fix! Especially considering the car is still under warranty. Is there anywhere else I should check before taking their word for it? Appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!
Old 10th August 2015, 23:51   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: i20 Air-Conditioner Stopped Working

It should be a leak in the system and the AC gas leaked out. That's why your AC isn't working.

As for fixing it, the ASS would've quoted for a part replacement (I have a feeling it's the evaporator coil) , filling the gas and labour, which I believe is a pretty decent price.

If you want to work it out cheaper, try going to a AC specific garage. They might fix the leak for you & and fill up the gas. It should cost you some where around ~3k.
Old 10th August 2015, 23:52   #98
BHPian

I assume the compressor is not running. This could be anything from a blown fuse to a damaged belt/compressor clutch to low gas pressure due to leakage. If there is airflow then the evaporator fan is fine. Did you ask them what are the charging the 8k for?
Old 11th August 2015, 01:00   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyneld View Post
Hey Folks

I have 2013 i20 that is under 2 years old. About a week ago, the A/C stopped working - the light would come on and there is air flow, but no cool air at all. Since it was about time for the 40k service as well, I handed the car over to Trident Hyundai in Bangalore and after inspection, I get a call saying that fixing the A/C will work out to about Rs.8,000.

I don't see how something could have failed so bad that it would cost me over 8k to fix! Especially considering the car is still under warranty. Is there anywhere else I should check before taking their word for it? Appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!
If your car is under warranty, parts and labor should be covered under this. Are they aware of the fact that you are still covered under warranty?
Old 11th August 2015, 01:21   #100
BHPian

I should have specifics for the 8k charge tomorrow. All I know now is that its to order a replacement part. I'm quite certain that they are aware the car is under warranty - but I will confirm that with them tomorrow. Thanks for the opinions guys! If 8k is close to what it normally costs, I will most likely have it replaced with Trident.
Old 11th August 2015, 02:39   #101
BHPian

That's wierd. If the car is under warranty, I believe it's Hyundai's responsibility to make sure things are working again. Don't pay a penny to these guys. Get hold of the official customer care channels and spread the message. I have had such experiences with my Ford Figo (ex) before and people from Ford always took it in their stride no matter what. Now, as I also own a Hyundai product (elite i20), I would want to know how these guys react to your situation.
Old 11th August 2015, 09:01   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Folks

I get a call saying that fixing the A/C will work out to about Rs.8,000.

Thanks!
Lyneld - Quite interesting - The is only one reason for the A/c to have stopped working - The refrigerant must have leaked.

What are the possible causes

1. Leak in A/c condenser
2. Problem with expansion valve
3. Or faulty compressor

For all 3 if there was no external impact then it must be covered under warranty period.

Pls. do ask them for the break up of 8k

BTW : Which Trident centre was the car handed over to ? If you are in west Bangalore you could also take your car to Aditya A/c on Dr. Rajkumar Road for a second opinion - The guys @ Aditya are just fabulous with their debug

Thanks and Regards

-Sateesh
csateesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2015, 10:05   #103
BHPian

Thank you for the information Sateesh. This is Trident Hyundai in Jakkasandra and so far its not been the best experience.

I just got off the phone with the service advisor and she told me that there is some damage under the front right of the car and that the hose between the the condensor and the evaporator has been damaged - which is causing the leak. The cost to replace the hose is Rs.8,500 and is not covered under warranty.

This is a real surprise because I've not had any major incidents off late. Also, 8.5k for a hose seems steep.

I think I'm going to head to Aditya A/C for a second opinion. Could you possibly send me the location on Google Maps?
Old 20th August 2015, 14:47   #104
BHPian

Re: Understanding Car Air-Conditioners

I drive a 2008 model Accent Petrol (GLE). The A/C stopped cooling so i visited a road side mechanic (Sector 16, Noida). Upon inspection there seems to be a leak in the condensor.

The mechanic advised to go for a replacement and not repair. Original Hyundai part costs around 10K+Gas filling whereas a Chinese/Taiwan made would cost around 3K+Gas filling.

I wanted to check on the recommendations of the group members. Is it advisable to get this part replaced or repaired?
Old 20th August 2015, 15:28   #105
BHPian

Quote:
This is a real surprise because I've not had any major incidents off late. Also, 8.5k for a hose seems steep.

I think I'm going to head to Aditya A/C for a second opinion. Could you possibly send me the location on Google Maps?
Here is the location

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks