Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2006, 11:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pings
Problems - once connected the fuel-air mixture had to be adjusted otherwise the engine was stalling on low idling. Once the setting was increased a bit - the engine is sounding rather sweet.
Well the stalling is because of a bleed introduced after the carb which will cause the car to continuosly take in air from this vent, I am not going to comment on the Ozone part as I do not know any thing about this.
Old 17th July 2006, 11:41   #17
BHPian

psycho - to reduce the amount of air drawn in through the new vent - what I have done is make a pinhole for the vacuum suction. this happened by chance as the T-piece connector i bought had one end closed shut (during the moulding process) - so i pierced this end with a pin to make a 1~2 mm hole and thats what the ozone (or air!) is being sucked through.

As a result - the vacuum is very slight.

I suspect that I'll have to check it in a few days and might find it choked!
Old 17th July 2006, 14:24   #18
DRC
BHPian

Good experiment, and nice to know this has caused increased power to all who have tried...

Just one concern cropped up.. You are connecting the Distributor box to the inlet of the engine.. Does any one see red here!

Commutator produces lot of carbon dust, which is very hard and abressive, and this is being let into the engine through a pipe . This beats the purpose of the airfilter in place.
Old 17th July 2006, 17:15   #19
BHPian

Thanks DRC. made me think.

Isn't Carbon highly flammable in powder form - and considering the high temperatures in the cylinder - what are the chances it'll burn up (adding calorific value) as opposed to increasing weardown on components?

One could probably put a line filter (easily available / can fabricate with cotton and a tube) on the suction line to address this concern.

Just two members have tried this so far (to my knowledge) - lets get in more criticques and pros / cons to this experiment.

The good part - the set-up is very easily reversible - 2 minutes and at no cost.
Old 18th July 2006, 14:32   #20
BHPian

Hi all,

One probable reason for FE gain using ozone may be we are leaking (adding T connection) the vacuum...hence air fuel ratio becoming lean....but we dont feel lack of power with such vacuum leak as now ozone is being sucked into the engine which increases performance.....so we are getting advantage of running car at leaner ration without degrading the performance......

There are many sources of vacuum....which one will be best can be decided by trial & error...earlier I directly connected ozone pipe to base of carburetor ...then checked by making "T" to this existing line.....as per the 1/4th tank consumption...and if my gas gauge is accurate & my reading is accurate then I m on upside of FE till now.....regarding the performance....feeling moderate increase in power.....

Rightly said captain ping that if we want to revert to oroginal setting...it takes 2 minutes...without any trouble....

Enjoy....
Old 24th July 2006, 15:24   #21
BHPian

Interesting experiment guys, but the "engineer" in me is playing spoil sport! :(

I'm wondering:

1. What is the rate of Ozone production in the distributor? Is this enough to make a *significant* difference to the mix the engine is already burning?

2. Is the perceived improvement in performance because of less resistance during air intake? This kind of boost would come into play if one removed the air filter and retuned the carb. to compensate for the leaning out of the mixture. (Engine won't last too long this way though!)

Can some of the guys / gals gifted with better math skills than I am work out the calculations for us?

- T u r b o C -
Old 24th July 2006, 15:44   #22
BHPian

This is photo of my ozone generator....sorry for late uploading....

There is no definite way to measure amount of ozone generated by our 4 cylinder cars...however benefits is there....

Enjoy.......
Old 25th July 2006, 15:44   #23
BHPian

Hi,

So finally my gas tank was empty at 620km for 45kg of lpg.......earlier when I last refilled I got 545......this is after this ozone generator technique......driving remaining the same......also I made precaution not to touch carburetor setting or anything.....tyre pressure 30 all tyres.....expecting now to get 600+ consistantly......lets see.....after this tank reading I plan to run car without ozone technique full tank so that I can come to the conclusion......but its very difficult as no driving is same every day.....all this is only as & when it occurs basis....
Old 25th July 2006, 16:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

A lil doubt... won't we get better fuel efficincy just like this if we leave a vaccum line open to suck in more air to create a lean burn condition?
Captain Pings said his Gypsy was heating up now quicker...doesn't a lean condition cause this?

Isn't the lean burn condition the major cause for the improved fuel efficiency? Considering the jetting is un-altered. The stock jetting is usually on the richer side on a stock car and a little air bleed probably helps it to burn more efficiently and of course a bit more power is produced and more heat. I'm skeptial about the Ozone though.

I liked the idea.
Old 25th July 2006, 21:47   #25
BHPian

Hi all,

Can anyone guide me to find good vacuum source in my esteem....I wish to try different source for my ozone generating experiment....earlier I tried base of my carburetor...........

Enjoy.......
Old 25th July 2006, 22:41   #26
BHPian

Highest vacuum in carbs.

The lowest prssure when compared to atmospheric pressure is where the velocity of the incoming air is the highest and in carb based cars and also injector based cars the highest velocity is aft of the edges of the butterfly valve in case of carbs and butterfly valves again in case of throttle body of fuel injected cars. It is the sudden change in direction and concommitant increase in velocity over the top side of the wing of aircrafts that makes the wings get sucked up into the thinner atmosphere above the wing of the aircraft. If you thought that air prssure flowing under the wing pushed the plane up you are wrong and it is reduced prassure that sucks up the wing.

So coming to your particular query fine tuning any whole drilled just aft of the butterfly valve should have the highest vacuum pressure.

I am using the acetone in my diesel car and touch wood I am getting about 40 to 50 km extra per full tank. The petrol car did not gain any reportable figure more so because I do not have throw away cash to fill a 16 year old vehicle to the brim for testing but the knocking has reduced drastically. Thanks. Bye and wear your seatbelts
Old 25th July 2006, 23:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning
Hi all,

Can anyone guide me to find good vacuum source in my esteem....I wish to try different source for my ozone generating experiment....earlier I tried base of my carburetor...........

Enjoy.......
where can i fit the T joint in a MPFI car?
Old 26th July 2006, 23:32   #28
BHPian

Dear drpullockaran,

i want to hook the pipe to any existing vacuum line....earlier I tried bottom of carburetor without T joint....then with T joint I got good mileage......but still I want to try different vacuum source.....one at delco end is having vacuum...but i m worried if I make T there I might affect the ignition timing setting....any vacuumm leak at this end will affect firing of plugs....

keep using acetone....its so good to hear that using such simple additive u are getting 60Km+....will u share this translates into how much % gain apart from good throttle response & power?

One more suggestion for ur old car.....if u found no knocking using acetone then keep changing the ratio...2ml...2.5..3..3.5 ....to check which is best for ur vehicle....this will not harm anything...beleive me...I m using it in old fiat premier padmini 87 model & getting very good benefit....

Enjoy....

Last edited by finetuning : 26th July 2006 at 23:33.
Old 1st October 2006, 15:13   #29
BHPian

Ozone Update

Ozone Update.......

After using ozone from distributor cap & finding benefits......I tried countless time to check whether ozone thing really works or not by disconnecting the T joint & making usual vacuum connection & I found less power........I repeated this exercise to come to the conclusion that ozone is making improvement in performance as well as FE...............many time I thought that making a vacuum leak might improve the FE but what about the added power I m getting with ozone....so I ruled out that its not lean mixture that improves FE but essentially ozone............

Once we are addicted to higher torque then its difficult to discontinue any such practice............I made one thing sure that whatever car I will have in future....acetone...2T...Somender Grooves....& ozone is a must to improve whatever torque we have.........some one said in this forum that there are millions of techniques to improve performance of a car on the web...........so here is my effort to find a few which really helps in positive direction at no extra cost helping curbing pollution too.....

Enjoy......

Last edited by finetuning : 1st October 2006 at 15:15.
Old 1st January 2007, 23:47   #30
BHPian

Dear all,

Recently I made ozone treatment with one of my friends old maruti 1000.....made a drilled hole in distributor cap & inserted a vacuum pipe.....connected this to intake manifold vacuum through T joint......results are wonderful........he checked mileage with 1 liter bottle making sure carburetor is totally petrol free & FE is 15 kmpl with two person driving without addition of any additives.....there is increase in power as well as FE........this is wonderful technique of leaning the mixture without affecting the performance......but we need to check at various vacuum available in different cars...

Encouraged by his results I decided to find another vacuum source in my esteem & I tried making T joint at another location.......so far results are encouraging.........indication of yet higher FE as my first LED of lpg gas went off after 300KM......will share exact data after tank is empty.........FE calculation with my LPG is pretty accurate as I used to drive till tank is empty & car stops on the road......I have taken care of petrol driving with these figures....

Enjoy....

Last edited by finetuning : 1st January 2007 at 23:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks