Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2014, 21:09   #16
BHPian

Re: Sourcing an engine for a Hovercraft

Interesting project. Development of a Hovercraft was my engineering college project some 30 years back. we then used a Fantabulus scooter's engine which is hardly about 8 hp I think and it worked. 50 to 60 hp is a pretty good power for you to have a functional Hovercraft. Lift requires very little power.
Best wishes for your project
Suresh
Suresh Stephen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2014, 23:26   #17
BHPian

I think you are trying to keep it in air at least a feet or two above the ground. Now that requires tremendous amount of power! This vehicle would also require a highly precise gyroscope. Have you considered multiple blade turbine propeller? It would generate greater thrust compared to 2/4 blade propeller It's a good idea and design. All the best with your project
4k_jz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 08:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
The best option i can think as of now will be the 1000cc K series engine from Maruti. Its one of the most light weight, reliable, powerful and pocket friendly engine.

Both are possible option's.

This engine can be revved till 6,000 rpm in the cars its been used. Ofcoures the car maufactures have set a rev limiter at 6,000rpm. So it can be revved more if no rev limiter is used. But that may shorten the optimum engine life.

Lastly all the best for your project.
One specific question. When you say engine can be revved at 6000 rpm, is that the normal idling rpm (i reckon not). If it is on the higher side of the rpm range, can I keep the engine running at those speeds for prolonged duration?

Normally when one is driving you don't see the engine rpm indicator in the dashboard exceed 4 * 1000 rmp marks unless when you have raised the engine just before a gear shit. So in that sense, I don't quite understand how you quote a figure of 6000 rpm. Please advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 20th May 2014, 11:16   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramesh_68 View Post
One specific question. When you say engine can be revved at 6000 rpm, is that the normal idling rpm (i reckon not). If it is on the higher side of the rpm range, can I keep the engine running at those speeds for prolonged duration?

Normally when one is driving you don't see the engine rpm indicator in the dashboard exceed 4 * 1000 rmp marks unless when you have raised the engine just before a gear shit. So in that sense, I don't quite understand how you quote a figure of 6000 rpm. Please advice. Thanks in advance.
Maruti has given the 6,000 rpm as the optimum revving limit of this engine. The idling is around 1,000 rpm. If you use this engine for a prolonged period at 6,000 rpm it will definitely stress the engine. I have given you the 6,000 rpm quote according to the rev limiter set by Maruti on this engine.
According to Maruti -
Max Power- 67 bhp @ 6200 RPM
Max Torque- 90 Nm @ 3500 RPM

Last edited by Samba : 20th May 2014 at 11:20.
Samba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 20:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had used the word hovercraft merely to suggest it is something that hovers.
This is not a hovercraft the way we understand it.
With this concept, I see interesting times ahead w.r.t vehicle stability and control.
And a juggad approach will be both dangerous and irresponsible, both for the 'pilot' and those around.

Why don't you start with an electrical powered scale model first, work out the kinks, and then go on.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 20th May 2014, 20:57   #21

I fully accept the points you have highlighted. Stability and control is likely to be the main issue "Weight and Balance data" ,as its called in aviation circles, will be critical to ensuring a decent design.

I am willing to overlook the risks just now. My immediate requirement is to find a suitable engine that will at least produce enough power to life my frame up. Incidentally there is an American company who has been at this for a while and is now getting set to make it available for the common man at price.

I do agree the approach is in a way a Juggad approach but I hope that is where over 18 years of aviation experience will come in slightly handy

Many thanks and feel free to point out any other issues you can think of.
Old 21st May 2014, 20:43   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Twin contrarotating ducted fans with variable pitch control I suppose?
Where will the CG of the vehicle (with 'pilot') be with respect to the plane of the fans? And centre of pressure/ lift wrt CG.

Quote:
I hope that is where over 18 years of aviation experience will come in slightly handy
You're the boss.
Best of luck, and do keep us posted.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 21st May 2014, 22:49   #23
BHPian

Hello,

I had made a hovercraft for my engineering project. The engine used was a old Suzuki shogun engine from a scrapped bike. The gear-train was retained and a single fan was sufficient to provide both lift as well as thrust.Just giving you some points based upon my learning's from my project.

Regards,
BL
batterylow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 08:32   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Hello,

I had made a hovercraft for my engineering project. The engine used was a old Suzuki shogun engine from a scrapped bike. The gear-train was retained and a single fan was sufficient to provide both lift as well as thrust.Just giving you some points based upon my learning's from my project.

Regards,
BL
Here I am back again having made some progress. I now have the props and the engine. I seem to be getting stuck for a right angled bevel speed increaser gear assembly. The online queries I have sent to a few manufacturers both in India and abroad have for some reasons not evoked a response. Any idea where I could find a suitable agency?
Old 25th June 2014, 10:28   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Just came across this article:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2014...life-hoverbike

Pretty cool!
Old 25th June 2014, 12:18   #26
BHPian

There was a simple project show on pogo tv (I saw courtesy my five year old non stop Pogo tv watching). You might get some takeaway from it. Please search for "hovercraft on pogo tv" in google.

It was an indoor project, skeleton is of metal tubes. The hovering is via rubber tubes blown with electric blowers and thrust is surprisingly provided by a fire extinguisher.

I know the project shown is not of engineering student level.

I think using 1000cc or EcoBoost engines will be an overkill for OPs project.

Last edited by fordday : 25th June 2014 at 12:21. Reason: add info
Old 7th November 2018, 22:38   #27
BHPian

Just read a news article about the hoverbike - a one-manned personal drone.

Quote:
Preorders have been made available. Price is $150,000 with a reservation deposit of $10,000. Delivery will be in 2 to 6 months.
A rapidly changing world, it seems.
Old 8th November 2018, 13:06   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting. That thing looks pretty lethal if it comes anywhere near people with its four unprotected propellers.

The other thing I was wondering, under what legal considerations is it supposed to work? Is it considered a plane? In which case it would require a pilot license I guess?

Jeroen
Old 8th November 2018, 15:34   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
That thing looks pretty lethal if it comes anywhere near people with its four unprotected propellers.

The other thing I was wondering, under what legal considerations is it supposed to work? Is it considered a plane? In which case it would require a pilot license I guess?

Jeroen
It does look lethal. My first thought was - I would be scared to reach for an itch that may need me to stretch my legs while the thing is in motion!

No idea at all about the legal or licensing issues associated with it. I am guessing until these issues are sorted, this thing will strictly be for use by defense and law-enforcement departments and possibly in some cases restricted to use in closed private-spaces only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks