Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2014, 07:01   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Figo: Power Steering Belt snapped at 60 kph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
A small correction, 1.4 TDCI has a coolant pump that is driven by timing belt. Even the brake vacuum pump is driven by the camshaft which is in-turn driven by timing belt.
Only the alternator, A/c compressor and power steering pump is driven by auxiliary drive belt.
Even better!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathew1105 View Post
I didn't want to drive because of the battery warning sign.
Obviously since in absence of belt the car is not charging and running on battery.

The point is that once you have seen the cause of warning lights in many cases you can still drive. For instance Brake wear / ABS / Air bag / Seat Belt etc. are signs you can ignore temporarily if stuck.
Old 19th May 2014, 11:56   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Towing charges on breakdown could have been avoided. With belt snapping the alternator, coolant pump and power steering would not work. However car is still drive able if done carefully while keeping careful watch on engine temperature. Normally it is a quick acceleration and then coast with engine off till slowed down. Then jerk start before coming to complete stop.
I would rather pay the towing charges than risk permanent damage that would cost mega $$$ to fix. Modern cars are way too complicated, fragile & expensive to fix.

To the less technically inclined folk (and that's 99.9% of everyone out there), I wouldn't recommend driving with a broken car at all.

Better to be safe than sorry.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2014, 21:48   #18
BHPian

Update...

The Service Associate who was assigned for the vehicle called last night saying they received the email from Ford. He sounded a bit irritated that I took the issue up with Ford. All that he had to say was, he's sorry that my vehicle broke down and what happened in my case was very rare, and that the belt usually doesn't snap.

He kept saying that the warranty does not apply to any of these parts and that the service manager would give me a call in the morning. The service manager accepted that this was a mistake from their end, he said that it is documented that the SA checked with me about changing the belt and I had said NO!. I told him that the service associate did not check with me about that at all.Besides the last service cost me around 20,000, and why would I not pay a few thousand more, to fix a potentially serious issue??.

He apologized for what happened and said that he would make sure that this does not happen in the future. and also added that none of this would be covered under the warranty!

Later in the evening today, someone called from Ford India, The way she sounded, I'm not sure if she even understood the contents of the email. I had to go over the whole story again, after which she just said "Give me a day sir, I'll check with the service center and will get back to you"!!??
Old 20th May 2014, 22:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

The dealer is ripping you off, escalate this with Ford. The Pulley should have been covered under warranty and the tow charges are free while the car is towed for mechanical issues when your car is covered under warranty.

EDIT: Just saw your update, when the Customer Care person call you from Ford, insist on speaking to the RSM (Ford's Regional Service Manager).

Quote:
anyways, please here's the bill for the repairs

Last edited by anachronix : 20th May 2014 at 22:05.
Old 23rd May 2014, 19:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

in a hypothetical situation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Obviously since in absence of belt the car is not charging and running on battery.
Any idea how long will the battery power the car's ECU in such a situation?

(given that water pump is timing belt driven and no other electrical accessories are operated)
Old 23rd May 2014, 23:25   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
The dealer is ripping you off, escalate this with Ford. The Pulley should have been covered under warranty and the tow charges are free while the car is towed for mechanical issues when your car is covered under warranty.

EDIT: Just saw your update, when the Customer Care person call you from Ford, insist on speaking to the RSM (Ford's Regional Service Manager).
Update:

A different rep from customer service point called from Ford last evening. and he too was pretty much saying the same thing the service guys told me "Nothing is covered under warranty sir!, The warranty is good only till 35,000 Kms".

When I questioned him about mentioning it about the signs in the last service and why it was not attended, he says although it wasn't replaced, it has been attended to and the problem's occurred only after almost 3000 Kms??!!

I was like 'So you're saying 'Ford's quality for such an important component of the vehicle is only 40,000 Kms' He kept repeating the 'warranty not covered' story.

After trying to make my point about the carelessness of the service center and questioning on the quality of the components, both in English and later in Tamil for almost 20-30 minutes. It didn't look like it was going anywhere.

I also asked to speak with someone else like 'The regional manager' or someone higher up. He was like "I'm the contact point sir, whatever your concerns are I will take it further".

I figured there was no point in talking to him any further, I told him so as well. He said he was going to make some inquiries and take some action. I have no idea what he meant by that! I don't know if he was going to call me back either. Even if he does, I wonder if he would have anything new to say!

The other options I'm considering now is to change the service center going forward, the only other option in Chennai is 'Chennai Ford', not sure how good their service is. or just find a good multi-brand workshop like Bosh or something else.

Gurus, please share your thoughts.

Last edited by mathew1105 : 23rd May 2014 at 23:28.
Old 24th May 2014, 07:14   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: in a hypothetical situation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Any idea how long will the battery power the car's ECU in such a situation?

(given that water pump is timing belt driven and no other electrical accessories are operated)
Day time you may be able to do substantial distance (100+ km) with air-con and audio off and drive with almost no honking and minimum braking - keep electric discharge to minimum. Also depends on the condition of your battery.
Old 29th May 2014, 02:22   #23
BHPian

Update...

Hello All,

Please see quoted below is the extract of the email I received from Ford last evening...

"This is in continuation to our earlier correspondences and telecom we had with your goodself regarding your vehicle bearing the VIN number XXXXX.

We understand from our dealership that the concern in your vehicle had been attended and resolved. We request you to drive the vehicle and provide your valuable feedback. We regret for the inconvenience caused.

Please feel free to contact Mr.XXX-XXX Service Manager of our dealership/ us for any further assistance."

It really blew my top off. I really don't think another reply to this email is going to do any good. I guess it would just be a total waste of time!
Old 29th May 2014, 03:36   #24
BHPian

Hi Mathew, Do you have written confirmation from Ford that warranty does not apply in this case? Or it always verbal? Please get this in writing from them, if you already haven't.
Old 29th May 2014, 09:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A belt snapping like this at only 40,000 kms indicates either poor quality of material used by Ford, or careless labour at the service center.
To me, this looks like a scam. In my Cielo, the mechanics used to deliberately tighten the "alternator/power steering" belt to get the same symptoms. When I report the belt squeal, they tighten the belt even further and the sound goes off, only to return in a month. Finally, after the multiple tightenings, the belt snaps while you are driving and you are forced to change the bearings too. They even try to convince you that the alternator has busted. Now I have learned to adjust the tension of the alternator belt myself and 'loosen' it a bit after every visit to the service center.
PS: If my hypothesis is correct, the next component to fail in your car would be the alternator (deliberate).

Last edited by jinojohnt : 29th May 2014 at 09:41.
Old 30th May 2014, 02:57   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
Hi Mathew, Do you have written confirmation from Ford that warranty does not apply in this case? Or it always verbal? Please get this in writing from them, if you already haven't.
Thank you Nijel. So far it has only been verbal. I have sent a reply to the last email, highlighting my earlier concerns hoping to get something back in writing. Besides I also wanted to record in writing, my dissatisfaction with the outcome. I so far have not received any call or reply from Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
To me, this looks like a scam.
PS: If my hypothesis is correct, the next component to fail in your car would be the alternator (deliberate).
Scary to hear John! Well, I guess I'll have to just keep my fingers crossed. I wonder what's the point behind leaving the car with these so called 'authorized' service centers for, if they involve in such shady practices??!!

Only time can tell what's in store next
Old 30th May 2014, 03:07   #27
BANNED

Quote:

Thank you Nijel. So far it has only been verbal. I have sent a reply to the last email, highlighting my earlier concerns hoping to get something back in writing. Besides I also wanted to record in writing, my dissatisfaction with the outcome. I so far have not received any call or reply from Ford.
The next time you reply or if possible copy and paste the link of this thread to Ford so that know what is going on and can get serious too.

Demand a written form of the problem you are facing so it will help you in future dealings with Ford.

Anurag.
Old 30th May 2014, 04:57   #28
BHPian

that's a scary story, As you have complained earlier and seems the dealer is certainly more interested in ripping money off the customers you should not STOP following up.

And sending a male that issue resolved is ridiculous act from Ford India, you should certainly ask a lawyer to submit a request in consumer court.

Looks like service center hardly cares whats covered and whats not, every fault is off customer and they are only available to bill the car owner with heavy tow charges, heavy repair charges is completely unacceptable.

if needed call CNBC awaaz T.V. Channel a program called "pehredar" takes such issues with top authorities of companies and most probably you would get proper response.
Old 30th May 2014, 08:14   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post

And sending a male that issue resolved is ridiculous act from Ford India, you should certainly ask a lawyer to submit a request in consumer court.

if needed call CNBC awaaz T.V. Channel a program called "pehredar" takes such issues with top authorities of companies and most probably you would get proper response.
I can relate with your anger towards Ford but first it is better if the issues get solved by a meeting our by an email. Why go to legal side? I know what the reply be so of all better to discuss this peacefully for a fixed period of time. If the issue doesn't solve by the end of the stipulate time period then go ahead with the legal way.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 30th May 2014 at 08:21.
Old 2nd June 2014, 21:31   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Demand a written form of the problem you are facing so it will help you in future dealings with Ford.

Anurag.
Thank you Anurag! Here's the reply I received from Ford for my email,

"We are in receipt of your mail. We understand how disappointing it would be when your expectations are not met. We sincerely value your patronage for Ford India and appreciate the time you have taken to write to us

This mail is in continuation to our earlier correspondence & telecom discussion that we had with your good self-regarding the concern you had raised with us. We sincerely hope we had provided necessary clarifications related to the concerns you had raised with us .However we wish to clarify you through this mail is that we had reviewed your concern diligently with our dealership along with our regional service team .We wish to inform you that we had analyzed the vehicle service records available with the dealership from which we understand that the said car is more than 24 months old and has clocked 42 k kms approx. and the parts that have failed have performed and if there were any issues then it would have surfaced earlier. We also wish to clarify you that the normal wear & tear parts viz, Idler& tensioner, Belt, suspension bushings/joints, shock absorbers etc does not fall under the purview of warranty and hence the said components would not be covered under warranty. Please refer owners manual - Warranty & service guide for details of the same.

Request your understanding & co-operation."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
that's a scary story, As you have complained earlier and seems the dealer is certainly more interested in ripping money off the customers you should not STOP following up.
Thanks ghpk. I really am frustrated beyond words. Unfortunately though, It appears like there's nothing more I could do. Now that Ford India, has clarified in writing that those parts in question aren't covered under warranty. If their warranty is only good for two years, I wonder why they sell the 'Extended Warranty'??

I still think It was a 'Premature' failure though. But I guess, I will just have to live with it and hope nothing else crops up in the near future.

The lesson learnt out of the whole thing, I would be more careful in signing up for 'Extended Warranty' and would opt for a car that comes with more warranty out of the factory.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks