Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2016, 11:20   #31
BHPian

Guys I have had the same issue altough my figo has run 1 lakh kms and this belt has snapped. The service guys are currently checking it but as we know yesterday only they warned me when I dropped the car that pulley might have to be changed along with the belt. I have asked them to first check and confirm instead of just saying it will need to be changed. Is there a way I can check and ensure whether pulley needs to be changed or no?

Part 2: service advisor told me that 1.10 lakh kms requires a timing belt change ? For some reason I feel because this belt snapped he is using it as an opportunity to earn more by scaring me about the timing belt. Thoughts?
Old 12th February 2016, 11:37   #32
Team-BHP Support

Re: Figo: Power Steering Belt snapped at 60 kph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes09 View Post
Guys I have had the same issue altough my figo has run 1 lakh kms and this belt has snapped.
============
Part 2: service advisor told me that 1.10 lakh kms requires a timing belt change ? For some reason I feel because this belt snapped he is using it as an opportunity to earn more by scaring me about the timing belt. Thoughts?
Did you check what your service booklet says? Usually rubber belts are replaced at 75k - 1 lakh kms which is normal. Same with timing belt. Only timing chains have a longer replacement interval.
Old 12th February 2016, 11:58   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Did you check what your service booklet says? Usually rubber belts are replaced at 75k - 1 lakh kms which is normal. Same with timing belt. Only timing chains have a longer replacement interval.
It's says 1.20 lakh kms engine timing belt, drive belts and tensioner need to be replaced.

Has anyone done it recently? If yes, please do share approx cost.
Attached Thumbnails
Figo: Power Steering Belt snapped at 60 kph!-1455258418416.jpg  

Old 12th February 2016, 12:34   #34
BHPian

Quote:
It's says 1.20 lakh kms engine timing belt, drive belts and tensioner need to be replaced.
The service adviser is correct. You do need a timing kit replacement now.

I had devised a 75% rule for my car. According to that, I used to replace all the parts that are mentioned to be replaced in the manual, once they surpassed the 75% utility mark. That is to say, if the replacement of an XYZ belt is recommended after 3 years or 100000 kilometers, whichever is earlier, my suo moto replacement used to happen at 2 years and 3 months or 75,000 kilometers, whichever happened earlier.

Quote:
Has anyone done it recently? If yes, please do share approx cost.
You may check the price at 99rpm.com
Old 12th February 2016, 15:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
The service adviser is correct. You do need a timing kit replacement now.

I had devised a 75% rule for my car. According to that, I used to replace all the parts that are mentioned to be replaced in the manual, once they surpassed the 75% utility mark. That is to say, if the replacement of an XYZ belt is recommended after 3 years or 100000 kilometers, whichever is earlier, my suo moto replacement used to happen at 2 years and 3 months or 75,000 kilometers, whichever happened earlier.

You may check the price at 99rpm.com
Thanks Guys. Here is what advisor has given me the list for:

Dumper Pulley
Alternator Pulley
Belt
Timing belt cover
Approx 13k

Gear shift Bush -750
Break pad - 2800

Shock absorber front both - 3000
Lingage front both - 2500

Gear mounting - 5300

Total cost some 28k with labor

Guy is not ready to wait and wants and answer now Ford has become the worst when it comes to customers taking second opinions.

I told him I want the parts changed near me to which there reply always is customer is not allowed in the service area
Old 12th February 2016, 15:44   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Guys. Here is what advisor has given me the list for:

Dumper Pulley
Alternator Pulley
Belt
Timing belt cover
Approx 13k

Gear shift Bush -750
Break pad - 2800

Shock absorber front both - 3000
Lingage front both - 2500

Gear mounting - 5300

Total cost some 28k with labor

Guy is not ready to wait and wants and answer now Ford has become the worst when it comes to customers taking second opinions.

I told him I want the parts changed near me to which there reply always is customer is not allowed in the service area
Why are gear shift bush,brake pads,linkage and shock absorber in the list?
Old 12th February 2016, 16:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Why are gear shift bush,brake pads,linkage and shock absorber in the list?
Gear shift Bush as there is little play
Brake pads he is saying worn out - will have to check once I go
Shock Absorber and linkage he is saying some leakage is there - will have to check

Any thoughts on the fist part Damper Pulley , alternator Pulley, Belt and timing belt cover. I am thinking to take a second opinion but service advisor in super hurry as his ramp is busy.

In addition I have my 1 lakh km service that's happening.
Old 12th February 2016, 17:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Shock Absorber and linkage he is saying some leakage is there - will have to check

Any thoughts on the fist part Damper Pulley , alternator Pulley, Belt and timing belt cover. I am thinking to take a second opinion but service advisor in super hurry as his ramp is busy.

Ask him to just replace the drive belt and carry out the 1lakh km service. Don't get the drive belt pulley and dampers replaced.
Timing belt and its pulleys can be replaced at 1.20 lakh kms.
Link rods don't need replacement until it has developed play/ makes noise.
Old 12th February 2016, 21:08   #39
BHPian

Quote:

Hi,
Timing belt replacement is 5yrs or 120k and it is done along with idler pulley&belt tensioner.It costs you around 8k.If you are planning to keep your car for few more years and not on strict budget,can be clubbed with 100k service.
Damper pulley was changed along with v- belt when odo was around 72k and bill was around 5k.(break down repair )No other pulleys were changed at that time.During 100k service due to cuts in v -belt,again changed along with two pulleys.
Attached Thumbnails
Figo: Power Steering Belt snapped at 60 kph!-new-doc_1.jpg  

Figo: Power Steering Belt snapped at 60 kph!-dscn4079.jpg  

Figo: Power Steering Belt snapped at 60 kph!-figo-.jpg  

Figo: Power Steering Belt snapped at 60 kph!-figo-b.jpg  

Old 13th February 2016, 17:26   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esu Junior View Post
Hi,
Timing belt replacement is 5yrs or 120k and it is done along with idler pulley&belt tensioner.It costs you around 8k.If you are planning to keep your car for few more years and not on strict budget,can be clubbed with 100k service.
Damper pulley was changed along with v- belt when odo was around 72k and bill was around 5k.(break down repair )No other pulleys were changed at that time.During 100k service due to cuts in v -belt,again changed along with two pulleys.
Thanks a ton Esu.

Attached are pictures of parts removed from my car.

1. Alternator Pulley (visually doesn't look spoiled. Is it really?)
2. Dumber Pulley
3. Timing belt cover (no stock available they plan to clean and put it back) good I was here or else would have been charged lol
Attached Thumbnails
Figo: Power Steering Belt snapped at 60 kph!-1455364549166.jpg  

Figo: Power Steering Belt snapped at 60 kph!-1455364571179.jpg  

Figo: Power Steering Belt snapped at 60 kph!-1455364585241.jpg  

Figo: Power Steering Belt snapped at 60 kph!-1455364598117.jpg  

Old 14th February 2016, 01:13   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton Esu.

2. Dumber Pulley
3. Timing belt cover (no stock available they plan to clean and put it back) good I was here or else would have been charged lol
Figo is back home after standing at service station for good 8 hours to get it done today only and ensuring what they where changing. Will share details tomorrow.

Planning to send a email to Ford as the service advisor was really bad. Few things he said will require replacement was given ok from the service head that doesn't require a change currently.

Thanks again guys for your prompt responses.
Old 14th February 2016, 03:18   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton Esu.

2. Dumber Pulley
1.Bearings and the ribbed side of the pulley has to be checked for any damage and not the sides.
2. Damper pulley has rubber insert. This damper crank pulley is usually replaced when it makes noise.
3. I don't know any particular reason why a timing belt cover would need replacement during a scheduled timing belt change.

Next time, if the drive belt snaps - ask them to replace only the belt and not the pulleys or tensioner.

The timing belt tensioner and pulleys are replaced during timing belt replacement as a preventive measure and to ensure the new timing belt doesn't wear out prematurely.
Old 13th October 2016, 23:42   #43
BHPian

I noticed cracks on the drive / serpentine belt. Planning to replace it before anything catastrophic happens. Its on a Fiesta, run close to 85,000 Kms. No noise whatsoever. The SA recommended changing the tensioner and pulleys etc. What all should be replaced? According to him, the tension is currently adjusted to the old belt, so a new one is required for the new belt. I somehow do not buy this. Need an expert advice. I took to to Metro Ford Lingarajapuram as St Marks road guys were busy today. However have took an appointment at St Marks rd tomorrow morning.
Old 13th October 2016, 23:51   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I noticed cracks on the drive / serpentine belt. Planning to replace it before anything catastrophic happens. Its on a Fiesta, run close to 85,000 Kms. No noise whatsoever. The SA recommended changing the tensioner and pulleys etc. What all should be replaced? According to him, the tension is currently adjusted to the old belt, so a new one is required for the new belt. I somehow do not buy this. Need an expert advice.
Generally, the various drive belts and tensioner are replaced as a kit. This is done partly out of convenience (you remove the same items to access both), and partly because of what he's said.

Coming to what he said, its not that the tensioner is "adjusted" to the belt, its more a case of the tensioner's spring that will have slightly weakened over time. The added stiffness of a new belt might result in the tensioner not able to push and stretch the new belt to the correct tension. Hence the recommended replacement. I would go for it, if I were you (I'd done this in my Getz a few years ago).

Historically, the water pump was also changed the same time as the drive belts, but in modern cars that is no longer something needed by default, only if problems have been observed.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 13:47   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I noticed cracks on the drive / serpentine belt. Planning to replace it before anything catastrophic happens. Its on a Fiesta, run close to 85,000 Kms. No noise whatsoever. The SA recommended changing the tensioner and pulleys etc. What all should be replaced? According to him, the tension is currently adjusted to the old belt, so a new one is required for the new belt. I somehow do not buy this. Need an expert advice. I took to to Metro Ford Lingarajapuram as St Marks road guys were busy today. However have took an appointment at St Marks rd tomorrow morning.
I got my belt along with the damper pulley and tensioner pulley changed around 85K. It is better to change it as a set as the weakened tensioner may cause the belt to develop premature wear. Total came up to around 12 thousand including labour charges.
batterylow is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks