Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2016, 17:37   #46
BHPian

Re: Figo: Power Steering Belt snapped at 60 kph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I noticed cracks on the drive / serpentine belt. Planning to replace it before anything catastrophic happens. Its on a Fiesta, run close to 85,000 Kms. No noise whatsoever. The SA recommended changing the tensioner and pulleys etc. What all should be replaced? According to him, the tension is currently adjusted to the old belt, so a new one is required for the new belt. I somehow do not buy this. Need an expert advice. I took to to Metro Ford Lingarajapuram as St Marks road guys were busy today. However have took an appointment at St Marks rd tomorrow morning.
How easy was it to open the timing belt cover and inspect the same? My SA is reluctant to open and inspect and trying to push me to go for replacement directly.
Old 14th October 2016, 21:19   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
How easy was it to open the timing belt cover and inspect the same? My SA is reluctant to open and inspect and trying to push me to go for replacement directly.
This is the serpentine belt Akshay. Drives the power steering, AC, alternator.
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2016, 16:00   #48
BHPian

Gave my car to metro Ford, St Mark's road for the aux belt replacement. The tensioner pulley and dampener pulley were changed. total bill came to 5932 and this included aur filter and gear bush replacement. To be honest, I was expecting anything from 9k to 11k going by the contents of this thread. If I reduce the bush and filter expenses, it would have worked out to somewhere near 5k.
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 17:28   #49
BHPian

Hi, I recently took my brothers 40K driven 2010 Ford Figo TDCI to the ford dealer for the 40K service and he suggested the Aux-belt and pulley replacement with a total cost of 12k. He mentioned this is done for all Figo's around 35k. Is this true? The reason given by him was that the pulleys are plastic and they crack up, as they crack they cause the belt to crack. Seems like a design flaw but my car is way out of warranty now. Seems kind of steep if I have to keep getting this belt replaced every 40K or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
Gave my car to metro Ford, St Mark's road for the aux belt replacement. The tensioner pulley and dampener pulley were changed. total bill came to 5932 and this included aur filter and gear bush replacement. To be honest, I was expecting anything from 9k to 11k going by the contents of this thread. If I reduce the bush and filter expenses, it would have worked out to somewhere near 5k.
Old 25th October 2016, 13:07   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshiviv View Post
Hi, I recently took my brothers 40K driven 2010 Ford Figo TDCI to the ford dealer for the 40K service and he suggested the Aux-belt and pulley replacement with a total cost of 12k. He mentioned this is done for all Figo's around 35k. Is this true? The reason given by him was that the pulleys are plastic and they crack up, as they crack they cause the belt to crack. Seems like a design flaw but my car is way out of warranty now. Seems kind of steep if I have to keep getting this belt replaced every 40K or so.
From my case, the service center quoted aroudn Rs 8000 when asking for the estimate but when the bill came, it ended up at around Rs 5000. Guess they would have included the estimate for other pulleys. While taking the car in, SA informed me that the alternator pulley would also be checked for damages, but in my case a replacement was not warranted. So they might be estimating the cost for all the parts that might require replacement.
My car is a 2011 model, run 85,000 Km. And this is the first time I am getting the belt replaced. Since yours is run just 40,000, I suppose the life of the belt could be a function of the age and the kilometers run.

I check with the SA on how long the belt typically lasts. As per him, he mentioned 40,000 Km.
Old 13th November 2017, 19:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

Last Saturday night when I was taking my Spark out of a local store parking lot, felt some unusual tension while starting/turning the steering wheel. It was like like belt got stuck somewhere. Steering became very tight after that, drove the car home and inspected in detail. Found steering& AC belt missing. On closer inspection I found the belt inside the bay itself and it looked alright.

Next day morning I found a dead rat near the pulley. Looks like little guy entered the bay from store parking lot and was near the belt when I started the car. He got stuck between the pulley and belt resulting belt coming off. Took my car to the local garage near home (GM Motors - Opp. St. Xavior's school Neeladri Road) to put the belt back on the pulleys. They charged just Rs.100 for the same.

Last edited by Latheesh : 13th November 2017 at 19:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks