Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2006, 16:10   #46
BANNED

Veyron, the law states that the tank (or cylinder, as you refer to it), must be physically attached to the car's body. This is usually done by drilling a few holes in the boot and using metal straps to attach the tank/cylinder.

Once this is done, you take the car to the RTO, where they inspect it and stamp your RC book with an approval.

Hence the process is 100% legal.
Old 28th July 2006, 16:46   #47
Senior - BHPian

Typo gremlins seem to have crept into my keyboard today. I'm sorry, I meant cylinders (14.2/12.2 KG, domestic) are illegal, not dedicated tanks.

Last edited by veyron1 : 28th July 2006 at 16:49.
Old 28th July 2006, 18:15   #48
Senior - BHPian

I fitted LPG kit in my Siena 1.2. I used it for 6 months before i sold it off. There was no drop in pickup and there was 10% drop in mileage compared to petrol. But on LPG the engine was not as smooth as it was when run on petrol. I could feel the difference the second i changed from LPG to petrol.
Old 1st August 2006, 13:07   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
I fitted LPG kit in my Siena 1.2. I used it for 6 months before i sold it off. There was no drop in pickup and there was 10% drop in mileage compared to petrol. But on LPG the engine was not as smooth as it was when run on petrol. I could feel the difference the second i changed from LPG to petrol.
Most of the LPG fittings are done by amateurs who do not know how to setup the fuel mixture etc., which results in jerking etc...it is supposed to be very smooth on LPG than on petrol
Old 1st August 2006, 14:06   #50
BANNED

I just spoke to my insurance company about fitting LPG.

They said when you put an LPG kit, you must send them an endorsement letter to say the same. Also, your premium goes up by 5% plus service tax (12.5%).

Just thought I'd let you guys know in case anyone hasn't done it so far. No point losing your insurance just because you forgot to do such a small thing.
Old 3rd August 2006, 06:48   #51
BANNED

What is the difference between Indian & Italian kits, quality wise ?

Will there be any mileage drop in quality Indian kits like Hovel when compared to Tartarini/BRC ?
Old 29th January 2007, 22:55   #52

Hey Mithun,

I am from Cochin, recently converted my santro into LPG. I am just not happy with the performance and mileage. Do you know someone who is good at tunig LPG kits or fixing their problems? If you know an expert, please let me know.
Old 30th January 2007, 04:32   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prem456 View Post
Hey Mithun,

I am from Cochin, recently converted my santro into LPG. I am just not happy with the performance and mileage. Do you know someone who is good at tunig LPG kits or fixing their problems? If you know an expert, please let me know.
Try Saban or City Car gas center....
Old 31st January 2007, 20:50   #54
BANNED

The cost of converting and maintiaining a car using LPG is simply not cost effective . Buying a more fuel efficient car helps or converting to diesel is also a better option
Old 31st January 2007, 21:06   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
The cost of converting and maintiaining a car using LPG is simply not cost effective . Buying a more fuel efficient car helps or converting to diesel is also a better option
Probably, if you are making this decision while buying a new car...but it does make sense when you are stuck with a not so fuel efficient car or your travel needs increase.
Old 31st January 2007, 21:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
The cost of converting and maintiaining a car using LPG is simply not cost effective.
I agree on the initial cost of conversion. What are the various costs on maintainence that you are refering to? Please elaborate.
Old 1st February 2007, 16:45   #57
BHPian

Not much use in LPG except some saving

See LPG may save you money may be 20% max than petrol.
You gain:

1. Money (not to a large extent.. depending on running kms/month)
you lose:
1.Boot space
2.pick up
3.milege drop
4.more carbon deposits in engine so more frequent servicing..
5.if you run you car engine on lpg, its lifespan will be max about only 5 years in good condition.
6.lose warrenty
7.Unsafe to use than petrol(Gas leaks do happen)

We spend 2 rs more on petrol to get good accl and smooth running.but using lpg when pickup is less, definetly it will affect the smooth running of th engine.

i have driven my friends zen with lpg..it feels heavier, and also some times he has to pump the accelarator to keep engine running.May be in powerful cars you dont feel the lag.

I still cannot understand the fact that the octane rating of LPG is higher around 120, then why there is a performance hit.

LPG has been here from more than 3 years , then why are people still selling petrol cars.

I will say you can try using lpg on old cars, second hand cars.. but not on cars as good as swift.
Old 1st February 2007, 21:23   #58
BHPian

I've heard, converting to CNG is better option than LPG. CNG is much lighter than LPG, and in case of leaks, quickly escapes into the air. Driving a car with the regular kitchen cylinder in the back is highly risky, since the kitchen cylinder isn't designed to withstand the jerks and impacts of an accident.

Also... much of the maintenance problem with LPG kits, is not there with CNG. Any inputs?

Are CNG kits commercially available in India? I know that the buses in Delhi run on CNG, but how about the cars?
Old 2nd February 2007, 01:18   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amu1983 View Post
since the kitchen cylinder isn't designed to withstand the jerks and impacts of an accident.

Are CNG kits commercially available in India?
Amu1983, sorry to say, you are years behind on this. We no longer have the kitchen cylinder business anymore. CNG and LPG kits today are much advanced and perfected that even they come OE fitted on cars like WagonR, Zeta, Omni etc
Old 2nd February 2007, 01:37   #60
Senior - BHPian

Note my comments in Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
you lose:
1.Boot space
Comment:I agree
2.pick up
Comment:I agree
3.milege drop
Comment:Agreed, but you save on the cost. For example, you run 15kms on petrol and 12kms on LPG... tell me which is cheaper??
4.more carbon deposits in engine so more frequent servicing..
Comment:How?? Isnt LPG cleaner??
5.if you run you car engine on lpg, its lifespan will be max about only 5 years in good condition.
Comment: Don't agree. I ran a M800 for 85000kms on the traditional kitchen kit. The engine still had good length of life to go.
6.lose warranty
Comment:I agree. But OE fitted cars like WagonR has the same warranty conditions as its petrol siblings. Some bhpians claim that authorised dealers convert to LPG and maintain warranty.

i have driven my friends zen with lpg..it feels heavier, and also some times he has to pump the accelarator to keep engine running.May be in powerful cars you dont feel the lag.

Comment:This could be due to a badly tuned kit
Sales of OE fitted cars like the WagonR have been pretty good. There are absolutely no offers on these models. It does show that both manufacturers and consumers are confident on LPG as an alternative fuel.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 2nd February 2007 at 01:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks