Team-BHP - Confusion - Is it high time to switch over to LPG
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Confusion - Is it high time to switch over to LPG (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/15112-confusion-high-time-switch-over-lpg.html)

I have a 14 months old SWIFT Vxi done around 16k kms. Read in some article recently that crude oil prices have got up in the past two months & the possibility of another round of hike in petrol prices. Though not sure about the implementation.

Current prices are almost Rs.52/litre, whereas the LPG costs Rs.26/litre, which is half of the cost of petrol. LPG Kit costs around Rs.18,500/- and additional Rs.1500/- for getting the fitment of LPG endorsed in Registration Certificate. Iam seriously thinking of running the car in LPG rather than in petrol.

The cost of the kit will be recovered in 10 months time with an assumption that I run 1000 kms per month and my car returns me an average of 12kms/litre.

But I had assumed that even the LPG returns me the same figure of 12kms/litre as petrol. Iam not sure about it.

Few are saying even LPG returns the same figures as petrol, but few others say that it returns atleast 30% short.

Worst case even if it returns me 30% short, I will recover the cost in 16 months instead of 10. But wanted to understand........

Any idea will there be a drop or will it return the same figure.

Iam not worried about marginal decrease in pickup and top speed. Infact the maximum speed that has run is only 130 kms/hr.

More that the money part, the switch over is to run twice the amount at same cost :) (if time permits)

Checked with my dealer on switching over from Petrol to gas. He told me

a. warranty is for 2 yrs or 40000 kms whichever is earlier. this covers engine and gearbox spares. Once the LPG is installed the car will not be covered under warranty and any repairs will be at extra cost

b. Replacement of ECU will cost Rs.20k and will not be covered if run on LPG)

c. He added that car system is more on electronics and the change in fuel will really affect the car. the cost that is saved in fuel will be spent in maintenance.

Now Iam really confused. Is the dealer right in what he says?

Is it switching over to LPG from Petrol will result in more maintenance and failure of parts (engine)?

Please throw me some light on this

I have got Zen, 2002 MPFI, even I am planning to get LPG.. but confused about the same.. Seniors or people with LPG in car , Guide..Please

I have been using LPG since last 1.5 years.....my monthyl driving is around 1600 km.....I almost recovered the cost of installation....also there are many benefits....less emission...smooth running of engine...no knocking like in petrol due to dust.....If correctly fitted & correctly tuned with lpg...your car can run well.....there is slight power loss felt but that u can compensate with rich air fuel mixture......also lpg pumps are increasing...definitely a better choice......

Enjoy.......

Since you're 14 months into the Swift..I suggest last the entire warranty period out before you get the CNG...Waise I wonder..generally cars don;t get a bad gear box or ecu well before a long long time...So the choice is yours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by finetuning
I have been using LPG since last 1.5 years.....my monthyl driving is around 1600 km.....I almost recovered the cost of installation....also there are many benefits....less emission...smooth running of engine...no knocking like in petrol due to dust.....If correctly fitted & correctly tuned with lpg...your car can run well.....there is slight power loss felt but that u can compensate with rich air fuel mixture......also lpg pumps are increasing...definitely a better choice......

Enjoy.......

Hi, Would you please tell me where in Mumbai you got the LPG kit installed. Seems you are a satisfied person after converting to LPG 1.5 years back. Which car are you driving ,mate?I am planning to buy a LPG Palio 1.2 EL for my daily journey of around 80 km in Mumbai. Please give me details of your experience or PM me. Thanks ,
Purnendu Bagchi

Quote:

b. Replacement of ECU will cost Rs.20k and will not be covered if run on LPG)
ECU won't be affected. If that is the case how can all these MPFI engines are converted into LPG.

Quote:

c. He added that car system is more on electronics and the change in fuel will really affect the car. the cost that is saved in fuel will be spent in maintenance.
90% crap. Here in Cochin, Maruti dealers will do the LPG conversion and still gives you warranty.

But if you call the Maruti Toll Free Number and confirm, then they always say that no dealer is authorised to do conversions. They can inquire and stop the dealer from doing so. At present only Wagon R LPG is factory fitted with warranty for normal consumer usage.

Quote:

few others say that it returns atleast 30% short.
10% max!

The new tech LPG kits come with ECU and injector cut-off,blah blah...
I'd say u go ahead with the LPG kit. Call me if u need help, i'll hook u up with Lovato in chennai.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous
10% max!

The new tech LPG kits come with ECU and injector cut-off,blah blah...
I'd say u go ahead with the LPG kit. Call me if u need help, i'll hook u up with Lovato in chennai.

Thanks Nitrous. Is it installing LPG kits will result in high maintenance in long term?

hi there,
i can help you i have installed an lpg kit in my accent, data collected by you is good my accent gives 11 kms in petrol and with lpg it gives the same , you can detune car for performance and get higher fuel efficiency also.
i have put in lpg kit on my santro also as both cars have run for more than 14 k kms bought in feb 2006 so i neede to do that as for maruti cars they are more efficient on lpg mostly my zen used to give 20 kmpl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by purnendubagchi
Hi, Would you please tell me where in Mumbai you got the LPG kit installed. Seems you are a satisfied person after converting to LPG 1.5 years back. Which car are you driving ,mate?I am planning to buy a LPG Palio 1.2 EL for my daily journey of around 80 km in Mumbai. Please give me details of your experience or PM me. Thanks ,
Purnendu Bagchi

Purnendu,
you can get LPG retrofitted in Sion, you can contact Bombay Auto, my experience wiht him in all my cars has been good. He gives two years free service free, regular check up etc.... you can speak to Rajubhai @24070065. Tell him I referred him to you... in case you need any further assistance/ clarifications i would be glad to get you into the LPG family...
Cheers,
Samrat Banerjee

Quote:

Originally Posted by prakash2757
I have got Zen, 2002 MPFI, even I am planning to get LPG.. but confused about the same.. Seniors or people with LPG in car , Guide..Please

Surprise/ Prakash,
here it goes:-
with LPG your performance will not suffer... can vouch that through my experience with OHC 1.5, Baleno, Matiz... the kit costs 20k and 1k for RTO registration.. whiile the average falls about 10%, eg: if your vehicle gives 10kmpl in petrol it would be 9kmpl in LPG.. while the price of LPG is half of petrol.. so you can calculate your savings and breakeven... I have not experienced higher maintenance, and i have been using LPG for around 3 years now... though i have heard about it.
When I started using LPG, i was one of the first ones to get it done in a private vehicle and i was usually the only one at the fuelling pump... today i am always in the queue.. thats the value people are realising.
Cheers
Samrat

Whatever the pro's or cons blah blah.
If you go LPG, the dealer has the right to refuse warranty. So if you have that much faith in your car that in 2 years nothing will break down, go for LPG otherwise wait for 2 years till the warranty gets over and then switch

From a technical point of view LPG wont damage anything, thats all cock and bull story. The real problem is that dealers are so slimy that they will refuse you even suspension warranty.

Dear prakash & surprice!

Before fixing the gas, i was mailed to Maruti ltd. asking about problem's which may arise after running on gas, they said, absoulutly no problem with the car running on gas,

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 07:45:50 +0530
Subject: RE:'CaseID=639-142' Technical Query/Maruti Zen

Copy of mail..
Dear Sir,

Thank you for visiting our website.

Here is the current status about running your vehicle on LPG:

1. It is technically possible to convert Maruti vehicles to run on LPG. With proper conversion kit use of LPG has no ill effects on the engine.

2. CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) is presumed to be safer as LPG being heavier settles down and can catch fire with any spark. CNG being lighter escapes into air.

3. Although Govt has allowed the use of LPG as an automotive fuel, MOST (Ministry of Surface Transport) is still working on various regulations for this purpose. That is why we cannot recommend any conversion kits at this moment.

Please also note that using a domestic cooking gas cylinder is most unsafe. Such cylinders are not designed keeping in mind impact or heat resistance, and have been known to explode in some cases of rear-end collisions.

Regards

Maruti Customer Care

So dont worry, go for LPG & be :)

Vialle Alternative Fuel Systems (Faridabad) - http://www.vialle.nl - They supply the OEM LPG Kits which are fitted into the Maruti Suzuki Taxis.

Not sure if they have authorized dealers who do the kit installations for other Vehicles as well.