Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2014, 17:36   #1
BHPian

Sticky A/C switches due to spilled Cola

I accidently spilled cola on the Aircon switches of my Linea.
Though I managed to clean most of it, some cola managed to seep into the AC airflow direction/ Climate control knob of my Linea.

Now the switch when pressed, needs an extra effort to be pushed, same is the situation with the Climate Control AC temp knob.

The Auto AC does not regulate the temperature as it did before the spill though the fan speed is regulated (normal function).

I need to know, how can i possible clean the switch and the Climate control knob.

Help
Attached Thumbnails
Sticky A/C switches due to spilled Cola-photo1.jpg  

Old 12th June 2014, 19:11   #2
BHPian

re: Sticky A/C switches due to spilled Cola

Try cleaning and spraying a little bit of isopropyl alcohol on it. It doesn't leave any residue behind and evaporates very quickly so it wont clog behind the switch.
sonil.luthra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 18:54   #3
BHPian

Re: Sticky A/C switches due to spilled Cola

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
I accidently spilled cola on the Aircon switches of my Linea.

The Auto AC does not regulate the temperature as it did before the spill though the fan speed is regulated (normal function).

I need to know, how can i possible clean the switch and the Climate control knob.

Help
The small grill adjacent to the switches that you spilled your drink has an air temperature sensor, the drink could have clogged the airways to the sensor and that could be the reason you AC is not functioning as before the spill.

As Sonil suggested try to use some kind of alcohol and spray on the sticky switches while you have a vacuum cleaner ON and standby and use its suction to get all the muck out when the solvent goes in and starts diluting the sugars.

Good Luck
msaudf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 12:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonil.luthra View Post
Try cleaning and spraying a little bit of isopropyl alcohol on it. It doesn't leave any residue behind and evaporates very quickly so it wont clog behind the switch.
Thanks Sonil

But will the Isopropyl Alcohol not effect the paint surface ?
Coz I read online that Isopropyl Alcohol will dilute the paint surface ( in this case the paint on the switches)

The reason being - Ambipure has already caused that loss once to a switch below the AC ducts.
So i just want to be cautious before i use it.
Old 16th June 2014, 14:25   #5
BHPian

Why don't you try dipping a cloth in some warm soapy water and gently rubbing it around the affected areas(with the switch depressed) and then using a hair blower on it.I did the same for my laptop when I spilled a carbonated drink over it.
Old 16th June 2014, 16:05   #6
BHPian

Did you manage to clean it? You might find this guide helpful if you have not started yet: http://www.instructables.com/id/Clea...oard/?ALLSTEPS
latentpotential is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 17:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIAT3031 View Post
Thanks Sonil

But will the Isopropyl Alcohol not effect the paint surface ?
Coz I read online that Isopropyl Alcohol will dilute the paint surface ( in this case the paint on the switches)

The reason being - Ambipure has already caused that loss once to a switch below the AC ducts.
So i just want to be cautious before i use it.
I am not 100% sure that it will affect the paint but for me it never caused any trouble. IPA is like jack of all trades for me but i would suggest you to be cautious while cleaning. You can try a little cotton swab first just to check the reaction on the paint. and try blowing it out instantly in the trial mode and then post some results.
sonil.luthra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 10:04   #8
BHPian

Thank you all for the support and advices.
I will give it a shot and update it here soon
Old 17th June 2014, 14:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Get a small medicinal spray bottle, fill it with distilled water. You could also get a spray bottle meant to clean specs and LCD screens (costs about 50).

Spray through the gaps around the switch and the knob. Some of it will seep back out - just wipe off with a clean rag. Repeat a couple of times. Whatever water is left inside will evaporate ultimately. The actual switch is enclosed and protected - nothing will happen to it.

It is possible to pry out the switch fascia and the knob, though I wouldn't recommend that if you have never done it.

Last edited by DerAlte : 17th June 2014 at 14:34.
Old 17th June 2014, 18:13   #10
BHPian

I'm not sure, but I think 3M car care can help. They have these foam cans to clean car interiors, if that helps.
nim_peter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks