Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2014, 09:45   #46
BHPian

re: VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

Bro were you able to activate this on your vento ? If this actually works with stock cluster then would it be also be possible to activate this on pre facelift polos ?

Cheers.
No, i am not getting this function in my Feb 2012 vento. Thats why I was asking for the log file to compate HW and SW of my instrument cluster. Some time the HW may be same but a newer SW on the instrument cluster could enable new features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-katz View Post
Did you use the software that came along with the cable?
Yes, the SW can also be downloaded from Ross-tech.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
Can you shed some light on what exactly is the 9w2 Bluetooth module? Does this basically activate bluetooth in your car?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but what i've understood here is that your car did not come with bluetooth and you managed to activate it with the VCDS?
9w2 is a basic BT module i purchased additionally with my RCD 510. This is essential for any BT connectivityRCD 320 (current model) are havinbg inbuilt BT.

VCDS helped me to activate the module once the 9w2 was connected to the CAN BUS.
Old 30th July 2014, 10:32   #47
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
RCD 320 (current model) are havinbg inbuilt BT.

VCDS helped me to activate the module once the 9w2 was connected to the CAN BUS.
So what you're saying is that if we get the current model with RCD 320, all I need to do is activate the module with VCDS?

The reason i'm asking is because i'm contemplating buying the new comfortline polo (doesn't come with bluetooth, can get it activated at dealer level for Rs. 4500), so if I get my hands on the VCDS, I can activate the bluetooth module myself?
Old 30th July 2014, 13:35   #48
BHPian

Quote:
So what you're saying is that if we get the current model with RCD 320, all I need to do is activate the module with VCDS?

The reason i'm asking is because i'm contemplating buying the new comfortline polo (doesn't come with bluetooth, can get it activated at dealer level for Rs. 4500), so if I get my hands on the VCDS, I can activate the bluetooth module myself?
Frankly, i thought RCD 320 has the BT module inbuilt, and if you getting comfortline with RCD 320 , BT should be available. I see no point VW disabling it even if HW supports it.

Another point could be if there is a module in 320 which is BT enabled which could be only available in Highline.

Sorry bro - i am not sure about 320s. 310/510 dont have inbuilt modules hence we need 9w2/9w7.. mic etc as addon.

need to check deeper on 320s
Old 30th July 2014, 14:50   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Frankly, i thought RCD 320 has the BT module inbuilt, and if you getting comfortline with RCD 320 , BT should be available. I see no point VW disabling it even if HW supports it.

Another point could be if there is a module in 320 which is BT enabled which could be only available in Highline.

Sorry bro - i am not sure about 320s. 310/510 dont have inbuilt modules hence we need 9w2/9w7.. mic etc as addon.

need to check deeper on 320s
Hi,

The RCD 320 is a good ICE. It supports BT as well built in to engage in calls, that is receive and make calls on the last number, stream music. It does not support other function such as contacts list from the phone.But it does display name of the music file playing.

If you are saying that the new polo is coming with RCD 320, it obviously has the BT installed and operational.

I dont think so, VW would de-activate the BT in spite of the hardware ( module ) being available in the system as it originally comes with.

If you doubt so, just connect the VCDS and check.

But I dont think VW can be so silly and stupid or about its customers this way !
Old 30th July 2014, 16:29   #50
DWC
BHPian

I'm just trying to figure out whether I can retrofit the new polo CL with bluetooth using only the VCDS. Even I doubt that VW would disable the BT functionality in its ICE. So this means that the RCD 320 is not the ICE used for the CL variant. Let me also come back and see which ICE is currently being used in the new polo CL. This should make it a whole lot easier.
Old 30th July 2014, 23:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out whether I can retrofit the new polo CL with bluetooth using only the VCDS. Even I doubt that VW would disable the BT functionality in its ICE. So this means that the RCD 320 is not the ICE used for the CL variant. Let me also come back and see which ICE is currently being used in the new polo CL. This should make it a whole lot easier.
The comfort line Polo has the same RCD 320, while I saw it during my test drive session. Bluetooth should work only thing you'll need to control it via the HU rather than the steering mounted controls.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2014, 00:03   #52
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
The comfort line Polo has the same RCD 320, while I saw it during my test drive session. Bluetooth should work only thing you'll need to control it via the HU rather than the steering mounted controls.
Thanks adi for that input. Its funny that it doesn't come standard on the CL version then. Its available in the accessories for 4500 bucks more. Which means they must have deactivated it in the VCDS. If I do go in for the CL variant, I think ill try and activate it myself, worst comes to worst if it doesn't work, I can always get it done later at the dealer level.
Old 5th August 2014, 13:10   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Of course re-map of the ECU is possible through computers but leave it to the experts. Remap is basically just like tinkering with the features of the car. Couple of things to keep in mind though.
1) will it void your warranty?
2) will the gearbox be able to handle the additional torque?
guys, who have their cars still under warranty; do these changes void the warranty? or do you revert to factory settings, each time you take your car for servicing? because, unlike a remap, these are visible changes, needle swaps, horn on locking/unlocking the car.
Old 11th August 2014, 12:45   #54
BHPian

On my Laura 1.8 TSI ambiente, the recirculate setting resets to OFF if the ignition is switched off for an extended period. If the ignition is switched for a short period, ie lets say at a traffic light, it remembers the setting, and remains at recirc.

So, can one use VCDS to default it to recirc, OR if there is a setting of time after which it resets to default recirc OFF position, can we extend the time.

Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 13:43   #55
Team-BHP Support

In continuation from the post on my ownership log, if the cable is not plugged into the OBD port and if it is tested, the message below appears:

VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread-error.jpg

If the cable is plugged into the OBD port and if it is tested, the message below appears:

VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread-1.jpg

After plugging the cable into the OBD port, the first thing we did was to check for any fault codes:

VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread-fc.jpg

We did a few tweaks yesterday night as has been detailed in the screenshots below:

1. Activating horn beeps while locking/unlocking the car:

Click on 09 - Central Electronics:
Name:  1.png
Views: 10686
Size:  202.0 KB

Click on Coding - 07:
Name:  AH2.png
Views: 12274
Size:  300.3 KB

Ctrl + C the 60 digit value of the current coding and Ctrl + V on a Notepad (in case you wish to revert back later) and click on Long Coding Helper:
Name:  AH3.png
Views: 11054
Size:  179.9 KB

Head to Byte 5 (the first byte is considered as 0) by using Tab on the keyboard or simply clicking there using the mouse pointer:
Name:  AH4.png
Views: 10170
Size:  282.6 KB

Check Bit 1 and Bit 4 and click on ‘Exit’ at the top left tab of the dialog box. Click on Do It!:
Name:  5.png
Views: 9964
Size:  179.7 KB

A message would be displayed ‘Coding Accepted’, click OK. Turn off the key, take it out, close the doors and check the results.

Out of curiosity, the first thing we checked after plugging in the cable was this options and we instantly turned it off and reverted back! Unlike the small beep heard from the buzzer inside Maruti’s cars during locking and unlocking, the intensity of this one OTOH is VERY VERY LOUD as it uses the horn, is a major irritant and will annoy the neighbours especially in an apartment’s parking lot which also tends to echo a bit. We turned off this feature instantly. I shall upload a Youtube link later. This tweak isn’t advised as a result.

2. Changing lane-change indicators from 3 flashes to 5 flashes:

Click on Adaptation - 10:
Name:  2.png
Views: 9995
Size:  299.7 KB

You will get a dialog box as shown below:
Name:  3.png
Views: 9754
Size:  119.0 KB

Enter 43 under Channel and click on Read. The following appears:
Name:  CI4.png
Views: 9885
Size:  157.1 KB

Enter 5 under New value. Click on Save and the following appears:
VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread-5.jpg

Click on Yes. Click on Do It!. A message would be displayed ‘Coding Accepted’, click OK. Turn off the key, turn it ON, flick the stalk and check the results.

3. Activating Push-to-Talk from the MFSW:

If you have a MFSW, this button:
Name:  steeringbuttons.png
Views: 9808
Size:  415.6 KB

would be configured as ‘Mute’ by default whereas the intended function is PTT. You would need a capable HU (with Bluetooth connectivity) and a phone that supports this feature. Most smartphones do anyway. Here’s how you do it:

Click on Coding - 07:

Click on Long Coding Helper:

Head to Byte 15:
Name:  PTT4.png
Views: 10346
Size:  238.5 KB

Check Bit 0 and click on ‘Exit’ at the top left tab of the dialog box. Click on Do It!. A message would be displayed ‘Coding Accepted’, click OK. Turn off the key, turn it ON, and check the results.

4. Enabling Tear Wiping:

With the tear wiping activated for the front wipers, when the wiper stalk is pulled to activate the windshield spray, the wipers wipe the windshield just as it normally does and after a brief pause for about 3-4 seconds, it wipes the windshield once more to get rid of any drops or ‘tears’.

Click on Coding - 07:

Click on Long Coding Helper:

Head to Byte 14:
Name:  TW4.png
Views: 9841
Size:  224.2 KB

Check Bit 4 and click on ‘Exit’ at the top left tab of the dialog box. Click on Do It!. A message would be displayed ‘Coding Accepted’, click OK. Turn off the key, turn it ON, pull the wiper stalk to activate the spray and check the results.

Will be tinkering around with this whenever time permits. If I find anything interesting, I shall share it here.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th August 2014 at 13:55.
Gannu_1 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 21:38   #56
Team-BHP Support

Enabled the HU’s CANBUS display on the MFD of the GTI's cluster. Very limited due to the Blaupunkt HU (vis-a-vis the RCD 510 + 9W7) but better than nothing regardless.

Here's how to do it first:

Click on 19-CAN Gateway:
VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread-c1.jpg

Click on Installation List:
VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread-c2.jpg

This will bring up a list as shown:
VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread-c3.jpg

Select 37 - Navigation, 56 - Radio and 77- Telephone:
VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread-c4.jpg

Some snaps of the MFD post setup:

VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread-img_8921.jpg

VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread-img_8925.jpg

VCDS (Vag-Com Diagnostic System) for VW & Skoda - Discussion Thread-img_8927.jpg
Gannu_1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 10:10   #57
BHPian

Just wondering. Can the power steering be adjusted through this? Coming from a hydraulic unit these feel way less confidence inspiring at high speeds.
Old 12th August 2014, 17:03   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
VCDS is a very useful feature in all VAG cars like VW/Skoda/Audi/Porsche. .
@Robi: Thanks for starting this thread, which is very helpful for all VAG car owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
In continuation from the post on my ownership log, if the cable is not plugged into the OBD port and if it is tested, the message below appears:
@Gannu: Thanks for contributing, and I have been reading every update about your GT TDi
Quote:
Yes, VCDS is quite powerful. I am using it on my Vento for last 4 months and pretty satisfied. BTW - I ordered a Chinese Ross-tech hex can cable (12.12.0) for $20 and it works fine.
I have just ordered the cable for $18.99. http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6188021648.html
Hopefully, it would work fine.
Old 12th August 2014, 17:11   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shetty_rohan View Post
I have just ordered the cable for $18.99. http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6188021648.html
Hopefully, it would work fine.
I've ordered the cable from the same dealer too. Hopefully it works. Fingers crossed.
Old 21st August 2014, 11:37   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
VCDS is a very useful feature in all VAG cars like VW/Skoda/Audi/Porsche. With the help of the Ross-tech VCDS cable and software a lot of features can be unlocked in these cars. It can also be used for diagnosing issues, taking logs etc. I bought the cable a few years back and have used it quite a lot over time. A lot of people keep asking me about stuff that can be done using it. So I thought I would put up a thread for the benefit of all bhpians.
Modules available
Attachment 1253476
Quote:
Yes, VCDS is quite powerful. I am using it on my Vento for last 4 months and pretty satisfied. BTW - I ordered a Chinese Ross-tech hex can cable (12.12.0) for $20 and it works fine.

Some key features activated

1. Emergency Braking Flashing lights
2. Locking - audible feedback (Horn)
3. Changed Time to 24 Hours, Earlier was 12H
4. Changed RCD 510 8 speaker mode to 4 speaker mode (not treble speakers in my Vento)
5. Changed Reverse Buzzer tone to subtle Audi type sound.
6. Changed RCD 510 Reverse OPS Car diagram to Jetta (to show the boot) - earlier was 6R polo - hatchback picture
7. Installed 9w2 Bluetooth module.
8. Changed Comfort turn signal (lane change) blinking to 5 (from 3)
9. Enabled tear drop wiping (one additional wipe after a delay once you use the windscreen washer)
10. Enabled Push to talk button on the Steering wheel (Current assignment was Mute)

Things tried but not working - trying to find solution
1. Enabled Coming home/Leaving home and linked with Fog lamps/Head lamps light - but some how not working
2. Enabled DRL for parking lights - not working

For my friend 2011 Polo Highline
1. Enabled Auto lock @ 15kmph
I just used VCDS with my Vento TSI and I'm a little surprised with some of the things mentioned here. First, I don't get all the modules listed in robimahanta's post. I don't get telephone and radio with the factory-installed RCD320 music system. Perhaps both robimahanta and newtonMeter have RCD510, and which is why this stuff shows up. Second, I guess for the same reason, I can't activate/change the setting of the voice control button on the steering. Thirdly, as per newtonMeter's post, I can't activate emergency flashing for the rear lights. The option shows but it says it's not available. The coming home/leaving home option shows along with a 15 second activation interval but nothing happens.

Most Viewed