Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How important is it for u to know the behaviour of ur car ??
It plays a vital role .. 41 87.23%
At the spur of the moment reflexes tend to do just the same unknowingly.. 7 14.89%
What behaviour ?? How does it help ?? U must be joking .. 3 6.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2006, 14:35   #46
Senior - BHPian

While sudden braking or trying to avoid another car/person etc, u would harldy have time to think if u need to go sideways, or just hold it in a straight line. You needn't use the handbrake, a slight twitch of the steering at say 60-70kmph under hard braking is enough to send u sideways. In some cases u won't even have time to hit the brakes. Its all easier said than done.
Old 20th July 2006, 14:38   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Werent u the first one who actually asked me why i didnt think of going sideways ?? Or maybe u must have forgotten .. It was you who made me think otherwise in the first place ..
Yes I remember I did when you told me that there was no one around, however I still do remember telling you that it was foolish to go around that corner like that.
Old 20th July 2006, 14:42   #48
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
Yes I remember I did when you told me that there was no one around, however I still do remember telling you that it was foolish to go around that corner like that.
it was foolish of me as well .. Made it a point that it would never happen again .. Anyways back to topic now ..

No one still answered my questions regarding slipstream and benefits of spoiler on our cars ?? Also Rtech it would be nice if u could give some beneficial tips on bikes too ..
Old 20th July 2006, 14:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

one more thing ...why drive like a fool and bang into some poor chap and then blame the other person ...why ??????because he got in my way ...

better to drive straight and safely rather than go sideways and hurt someone ...also why get into any situation where you can get into any accident ..

why go sideways when u can go straght ...
Old 20th July 2006, 14:52   #50
Team-BHP Support

Interesting thread!
Actually not understanding the behavior of the car has led me into a pole a long time back, and understanding the behavior not so long ago prevented me from hanging from coconut trees.
Old 20th July 2006, 14:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe, but what applies to racing does not necessarily apply to street driving and vice versa.
You read me wrong there. I said, what applies to racing cars, applies to street cars (not street driving). Afterall a car is a car.

There's nothing you can experience in a race car, that you can't experience on a road car (when driven on track/on the limit).

Quote:
The reason is that many of the race drivers cannot get rid of their gut instincts and approach each drive and each curve with the attitude of "what is the max. speed at which I can do this"
I wouldn't say "All Racing Drivers". Yes there are those (like Mr. Montoya) who wouldn't mind doing 260kmph on public roads, regardless of whether its safe of not.

But, from a general perspective, racing drivers are pretty careful when they drive on public roads.

And they would stand a better change of avoiding a collision, compared to a normal driver. It's a simple rule, how're you gonna solve a probelm you've never faced before? Racing drivers do it everday.

Like Mclaren said, his dad didn't know how to react when he was faced with a problem on the road. Thats bcoz it's something he is not aware of (irrespective of how many years of driving experience he has had).

Same case with my dad, he's been driving from the time i wasn't even born but, it doesn't necessarily mean he's a better driver than me (no offence dad) LOL.

And lastly, you just cannot be a good racing driver if you're not smooth with your driving.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 20th July 2006 at 15:02.
Old 20th July 2006, 15:06   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
also why get into any situation where you can get into any accident ..
Situations are impossible to avoid. Sometimes, you might be on the right lane and some oncoming trucker might swerve into the one you're driving on. You didn't create the situation, but you gotta save your a** anyway. You're left with no choice.

Shan2nu

Anyway, coming back to the topic.

1. It's vital to understand the behavior of your vehicle.
2. Drive safe
3. Stay alive......

Shan2nu

Last edited by adya33 : 20th July 2006 at 16:56.
Old 20th July 2006, 17:37   #53
BHPian

When I first got the GTX I was thrilled. 100 bhp on tap, a stiffer than normal suspension and the fact that its a hatch made me think I could make the car do what I wanted and be in control totally. Of course the video games and simulators I played added a bit too. Thank heaven's I survived my high headed days without much damage to the car (apart from the tires and the clutch).

Now I guess I can say I am a better driver than I was. I understand that like me others are not perfect too. So I dont expect people to drive on the proper side of the road or signal before they turn or such. I drive slow. My speeds are usually 80-90 kmph on the highways and a very sensible 40 kmph on the ghats.

I regularly drive on teh sathyamangalam - gundulpet road which in the afternoon has no traffic at all and has clear corners. But I do on an average 40-50 kmph. On clear streches I touch 100. Not more than that. Eventhough the roads are clear and I am honking my brains out and the car is visible (Orange color), the cyclist or the lone pedestrian would decide to cross the road at exactly the same moment. You cant blame a dead person. Better to play it safe and slow down.

I can dare say I know my car pretty well. Know what its limits or rather what my limits are. I have done quite some time on the track in karts and on a car too. But here is what I do

1. Stick to speeds of 120-130 max in case of the expressway, 80 incase its a high way and 40 if its the ghats. You can never be sure what goes on in the mind of the truck driver or the taxi wallah

2. Buckle up. Adjust the rear view mirrors properly, play the music at a level where you can still hear what goes on outside.

3. Forget that you have track experience or know tha car inside out. Drive like you would if you are driving a rolls. Stop give way to the other car. Take corners sensibly. You have all the time in the world when you are driving. Drive safe.

I am blabbering a lot here because I see a hell a lot of accidents here. All youngsters full of energy and life who probably think they are immortal. It shakes you up a lot when you see three accidents (two wheelers though) in front of your eyes and 7 people lose their lives unnecessarily.

Drive safe. Live long.
Old 20th July 2006, 17:44   #54
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
one more thing ...why drive like a fool and bang into some poor chap and then blame the other person ...why ??????because he got in my way ...

better to drive straight and safely rather than go sideways and hurt someone ...also why get into any situation where you can get into any accident ..

why go sideways when u can go straght ...
Lets just say that i was there at the spot , u werent .. So lets not even get into the issue of whom ought to blame whom .. If my fault had a weightage of say 30% (and i do AGREE) the other persons weighed 70% and all passerbys agreed .. I need not have to justify myself ..

Accidents at times are unavoidable .. Remember we are in india .. U can just be at the wrong place at the wrong time ..

Read the fineprint .. I did end up going straight and hit head on .. Was just trying to find if there was a safer way to it .. Nothing wrong i guess ..

That said im LEARNING EVERYDAY (i do make a lot of mistakes and learn from them like everyone else) unlike a few who think they know how to drive better than michael schumacher just because they did some crash course on how to drive on ICE abroad ..

Coming back to topic ..

Coming to ICE , are there any important things to keep in mind while driving on a icey surface or a wet surface ?? One is gradual braking , no hard cornering , get tyres that aquaplain less ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2nu
But, from a general perspective, racing drivers are pretty careful when they drive on public roads.

And they would stand a better change of avoiding a collision, compared to a normal driver. It's a simple rule, how're you gonna solve a probelm you've never faced before? Racing drivers do it everday.

And lastly, you just cannot be a good racing driver if you're not smooth with your driving.
Well said shan .. Completely agree with u on these points ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Actually not understanding the behavior of the car has led me into a pole a long time back, and understanding the behavior not so long ago prevented me from hanging from coconut trees.
Hunh ?? Tanveer could u explain it in detail ?? Sounds exciting and adventurous ..
Old 20th July 2006, 18:01   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Hunh ?? Tanveer could u explain it in detail ?? Sounds exciting and adventurous ..
Something like a BMTC bus driver pushed him off the road and he had to turn suddenly, the car started over steering and he had to get on the power to bring it back to control.

Read it on his blog i guess. Dont remember where exactly.
Old 20th July 2006, 18:15   #56
BHPian

one more point i would like to add
1. accelerating instead of slowing down when aquaplanning or on lose ground
Old 20th July 2006, 18:29   #57
BHPian

uhhhhhh...some people will never change ..advise them and they will take it teh wrong way ..its a waste of time trying to try and reform such people ....people try and improve after one unfortunate bang ...but there are some others as well who will shout "more the number of crashes ...better the driver i am "

sorry mods for going off topic but had to say this ..

now coming back into the topic ,yeah you can never know the limits of your cars ability....in trying to do that we might end up doing something sad..
but it is equally important to keep the vehicle in good nick ...as just modifying and not maintaining the car will mean BANG!!!!!!

here in london i see so many fast cars ...but none of them drive the way our morons drive on crowded public roads ..
Old 20th July 2006, 18:40   #58
BHPian

Have been following this thread and find that we have been discussing car's limts and drivers' limits..

Whats being missed out is that, on public roads, its legal and social limits that apply. It does not matter what you and your car are capable of. You got to follow the law (speed limits, lane changing, overtaking, etc) and show courtesy to fellow users of the road. As it is, in our country we have so many rash drivers causing accidents. We, as responsible members of a car loving community, do not need to add to the chaos on our roads. In India, a cyclist or a bullock-cart has as much right to be on the highway as we in our 100+ bhp cars do. So try and accomodate them. A racing line on a highway will surely lead to an incident some day.

Remember, safety takes precedence over everything else. One rash moment can maim or kill you, your passengers and others on the road.
Old 20th July 2006, 19:00   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. accelerating instead of slowing down when aquaplanning or on lose ground
Actually it's neither. When you sense your car is aquaplaning, don't touch any of the pedals. Let the car slow down on it's own.

Accelerating isnt gonna make any diff, as there's no available traction.

Shan2nu
Old 20th July 2006, 19:05   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats being missed out is that, on public roads, its legal and social limits that apply.
This topic isn't about the law dude. That can be discussed on another thread. This topic has been started to discuss vehicle behavior and whether it's imp for a driver to be aware of these things.

You don't have to break traffic rules to find the limits of your car. Vehicles can even lose control at 60kmph.

Shan2nu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks