Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2014, 19:16   #1

New Swift Diesel - Stalling problem

I bought a New Swift Diesel in March 2014. I have been experiencing a peculiar problem:

At speeds higher than 60 Kmph, when I accelerate to max the car suddenly stalls. The engine is not cut off but the car loses rpm and then picks up again in few seconds. This happens arbitrarily. Also, in such an event, I noticed emission of while smoke.

This is a new vehicle and I went for the second service today. The technical adviser took a road test and was able to see the problem but could not identify the problem. Another mechanic took road test with MDU plugged in. He drove the car constantly at 4000 rpm in 2nd gear, which was kind of weird and making me uncomfortable but the problem did not happen again. I was told this how the Maruti people have told them to do.

Since the problem did not happen again, the MDU could not detect anything abnormal. I was told it would not happen again and if it does I should contact them. This is a lousy resolution.

Anyone has any ideas what might be causing this?

I suspect something to do with either the fuel pump or turbo or the injectors. The engine, generally, also feels like it is running under stress and I am getting a mileage of only 16-17 kms.

Anyone having similar problem or any ideas on what might be causing this, please do share your info.

Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 19:20   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Swift Diesel - Stalling problem

Only thing that comes to my mind is the accelerator pedal sensor.

Try doing this, with engine switched OFF, completely depress the accelerator pedal couple of times. Then use the vehicle and see if it recurs. Might be some minor contact issue, had happened to me long back with my swift and sorted out itself later.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 19:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramjeet View Post
I bought a New Swift Diesel in March 2014. I have been experiencing a peculiar problem:
I suggest you might have to ask the MASS to plug in the diagnostic tool and rev the car upto 2500 rpm. Tell them to go to the panel which shows all figures obtained from sensors. And check whether the EGR valve opens and closes when revved up and let go.
If this is the issue, you will be seeing a faulty solenoid as the culprit.

Becasue, the mileage drop and the sudden decrease in engine performance are associated with the faulty EGR valve activation and Turbo waste gate control solenoid.
ManuRowaine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 15:45   #4
BHPian

Hi Paramjeet,

Generally engine needs three things to run and idle smoothly without stalling is –
  • Correct air/fuel ratio
  • Sufficient idle speed for the idle load and
  • Good spark
If any of these is lacking, the engine may stall. Since your car is new, stalling problems might be due to fuel contaminants or out-of-tune fuel injection.

Other stalling issues:
Engines are heavily relayed on electrical sensors in order to work correctly, so the computer that is in the engine might not get the needed information due to damaged/faulty sensors or other electrical components.

May be due to leaks /obstructions in the fuel system or Intake as engine requires mixture of fuel and air, so the vehicle will stall.

Keep reviving !!!
Old 13th July 2014, 11:11   #5

Thank you guys for the ideas and information.

After the service, I have not experienced the stalling problem again thought the mileage is still an issue.

The stalling problem was probably due to one of more injectors sticking.

I will drive the car for another few hundred KMS and see if the problem returns or the mileage improves.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks