Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2014, 08:37   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Understanding Cruise Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
@Jeroen: are you sure that the accelerator and brake connectors are not standard connectors that all pedal manufactures and OEMs use?
Well, lets try: Say you have a Nissan with no cruise control. Go to the Volkswagen and pick up, say the control stalk that goes on the steering wheel. Does that fit the Nissan, mechanically? the electrical connectors? are they using the same signals?

I don't think, but I could be wrong, that the connectors on a ECU are standardized. Nor the connector or the which port is what in/output, signals etc. Or has the car manufacturing industry solved this?

Jeroen
Old 15th July 2014, 09:37   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Well, lets try: Say you have a Nissan with no cruise control. Go to the Volkswagen and pick up, say the control stalk that goes on the steering wheel. Does that fit the Nissan, mechanically? the electrical connectors? are they using the same signals?

I don't think, but I could be wrong, that the connectors on a ECU are standardized. Nor the connector or the which port is what in/output, signals etc. Or has the car manufacturing industry solved this?
Jeroen
As far as the control stock is concerned even I agree that they are OEM specific. Some control stalks connect directly to the io of the ECU while others might use the CAN bus to save io ports.

But my guess is that the accelerator pedal and brake switch connectors are indeed standard connectors.
Old 15th July 2014, 11:23   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As far as the control stock is concerned even I agree that they are OEM specific. Some control stalks connect directly to the io of the ECU while others might use the CAN bus to save io ports.

But my guess is that the accelerator pedal and brake switch connectors are indeed standard connectors.

Well, feel free to dive into some footwells and have a look see. I have yet to find that. They don't even use the same switches so don't hold your breath on this becoming universal soon either.

Jeroen
Old 15th July 2014, 12:48   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Nope I didn't mean to say a VW cruise control can be fitted onto a Nissan or so. What I am speaking about aftermarket cruise control is similar to the diesel tuning boxes available. Connectors arent standardised, but signals are standardised at least within a manufacturer. For example all suzukis use same signals for sending accelarator input irrespective of petrol, diesel. Now how difficult, in this world of embedded systems is to replicate APP signals to ECU and fool the ECU that the accelerator is being used manually?

How impossible is it to tap signals from brake switch and disable the above system and let the real accelarator take over? Connectors can be changed, but the control system can remain the same right? Check out some Arduino projects to implement cruise control. Practically the Arduino cant match automotive grade parts, but functionally it is possible to obtain the required working.
Old 15th July 2014, 13:04   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Nope I didn't mean to say a VW cruise control can be fitted onto a Nissan or so. What I am speaking about aftermarket cruise control is similar to the diesel tuning boxes available. Connectors arent standardised, but signals are standardised at least within a manufacturer. For example all suzukis use same signals for sending accelarator input irrespective of petrol, diesel. Now how difficult, in this world of embedded systems is to replicate APP signals to ECU and fool the ECU that the accelerator is being used manually?
In theory anyting is possible.

Some kits are already available, see here: http://en.waeco.com/products/4374.php

And here is the list of cars it is supposedly to "universally" fit:

http://assets.waeco.com/pdf/waeco_ma..._ms_880_en.pdf. And you need to ensure you get the right cable kit. And I would expect, as per my own experience, you will always need to do some modifications yourself.

Univeral fits means, in reality, it wont fit anything completely.

I'm sure you will find a few more if you google around. I'm not sure who would buy these kits. On more and more cars cruise control is fitted standard. (Well at least in USA and Europe more and more) Certainly on all mid segments and upwards.

Jeroen
Old 15th July 2014, 13:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:

How impossible is it to tap signals from brake switch and disable the above system and let the real accelarator take over? Connectors can be changed, but the control system can remain the same right? Check out some Arduino projects to implement cruise control. Practically the Arduino cant match automotive grade parts, but functionally it is possible to obtain the required working.
In principle this will definitely work but you will lose your warranty and so I'm not sure how many would go in for such a product.
Old 15th July 2014, 16:06   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In principle this will definitely work...
In principle, according to theory, at the keyboard, as per Google and on paper, this and much else besides certainly works. It's the implementation that is generally impossible.
Old 15th July 2014, 16:28   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
It's the implementation that is generally impossible.
I don't see any reason why this cannot be implemented, do you?
Old 15th July 2014, 16:43   #24
BHPian

I drive a Mazda CX9 SUV here in Oman and CC works flawlessly.

If the OPs intention was to list down the various advantages and benefits, I can vouch for the same.

1) Effortless cruising at high speeds over long distances.
2) Better fuel efficiency due to constant and consistent speeds over long distance.
3) Specific to Mazda, car tries remains in high gears even in case of slight incline or agressive over take routines without dropping gears.
4) No fines due to overspeeding
Old 15th July 2014, 19:52   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
In principle, according to theory, at the keyboard, as per Google and on paper, this and much else besides certainly works. It's the implementation that is generally impossible.
Guess its a conclusion reached too early. Here is a better implementation:

Hence, implementing cruise control isnt a difficult thing when the same device can do a lot more.

Also here is such an accessory sold abroad http://www.redline360.com/rostra-uni...ntrol-250-1223

Here is the one for drive by wire variants http://www.rostra.com/custom-drive-b...-by-rostra.php

Last edited by audioholic : 15th July 2014 at 19:57.
Old 15th July 2014, 21:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Guess its a conclusion reached too early.
Yeah, I agree. I or as a matter of fact any body with sufficient experience in embedded systems could implement such a system provided the male/female connectors for the accelerator and brake pedal are available.
Old 15th July 2014, 21:13   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hence, implementing cruise control isnt a difficult thing when the same device can do a lot more.

Also here is such an accessory sold abroad
It's very similar to the one I fitted to my Mercedes, other then it doesn't use a pneumatic actuator but an electric one. It doesn't interface with the ECU, their FBW does, but is very limited and very car/model specific and even those come with a lot of requirements on the specifics of the particular model.

You have to give these guys points for honesty because their website says:

Quote:
This is a universal product and is not made for any specific vehicle. Universal products may require additional parts and labor for installation
Also, if you read the specification it says:

Quote:
Diesel with manual trans may require a clutch switch
Quote:
Universal - Fits most cars and trucks with mechanical throttle body
Quote:
While most of our customers install these aftermarket kits themselves, we recommend professional install of this cruise control system
Also, do read their installation manual, it's a barrel of laughs!

Like I said earlier, if you like tinkering with this stuff, you're going to have a ball installing this one!

Jeroen
Old 9th January 2015, 05:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Honda presents the world's first predictable autopilot

Honda today introduced the first system of "predictive" auto pilot in the world, known as Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control (i-ACC). i-ACC will make its debut this year in the new European CR-V, and is based on traditional Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) system.

Understanding Cruise Control-honda-crv.jpg

The system will be capable to anticipate and react automatically to other vehicles in the canvas of equipment with this system car.
Based on field research of typical European style of driving, Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control by Honda (i-ACC) uses a camera and radar position and speed of other vehicles on the road. Then apply the algorithm to predict the likelihood cars adjacent bands to pass the bar in front of vehicle equipped with i-ACC, by assessing ratios in speed of a large number of vehicles, which allows to respond quickly, safely and comfortably.

Differentiating factor with respect to traditional ACC:
Traditional ACC observe pre-selected speed and is automatically reduced when it is necessary to maintain a safe distance to the vehicle in front. However, if the vehicle in an adjacent lane enters between the two cars, the traditional ACC system reacts with a lag and thus requires a fast and hard braking.

The new i-ACC system is able to calculate the probability of the event to five seconds before it happened and therefore would respond much more smoothly, without stress for the driver, who still can not assume the upcoming maneuver. In this case, the system initially apply slight brake pressure and appears on the display and driver information why the speed decreases. The system continues to apply greater braking force to adapt the speed and maintain a safe distance.

Quote:
Dr. Klaynehagenbrok, Head D deysnost i-ACC at Honda R & D Europe (Germany) GmbH, says, "i-ACC output systems for speed control to a whole new level, offering what we call" predictable safety. "
Source: Honda
Here is the video description of this amazing technology;
http://parts.honda.bg/videos/video.mp4
sarathlal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 13:39   #29
BHPian

Active cruise control (ACC)

Imagine you are driving on a fairly empty highway with a max speed of 120 KMPH. You set the ACC at 130 and cruise along.

Suddenly there is a traffic slowdown ahead. Do you press the brake to slow down and disconnect the cruise control?

With ACC, you do NOTHING !!

The car will slow down automatically to, say, 50, and maintain the right distance from the vehicle ahead. If the speed of the bunched traffic fluctuates between 45 and 60, your car will automatically speed up or slow down to maintain the right distance.

When traffic opens up, the car will speed up to 130 and stay there.

If a car suddenly cuts in ahead of you, your car will slow down, and then speed up again when the traffic clears.

Basically, once you have set ACC, all you have to do is to maintain steering control. You don't have to touch the brake or the accelerator.

A boon for driving on semi-crowded highways where traffic speeds up and slows down frequently.

Last edited by benu9714 : 14th April 2018 at 13:40.
benu9714 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 13:51   #30
BHPian

Re: Active cruise control (ACC)

This is really a good feature on our crowded highways. One should get the list of cars having this feature in India. As far as I remember Volvo XC60 has this feature not sure though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks