Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2018, 16:23   #31
BHPian

Re: Active cruise control (ACC)

Actually, I believe this is tech is quite old now.
We've been talking about driverless cars. Wait, there ARE driverless cars, that are running just fine.

Anyways, coming to the topic, this post explains it beautifully: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3476176

Last edited by pkulkarni.2106 : 14th April 2018 at 16:25.
Old 14th April 2018, 18:53   #32
BHPian

I think the correct terminology is Adaptive Cruise Control.
I think vagtune offers retrofit of ACC in VW cars like Passat and Jetta that don't get the feature as standard in india.
Old 15th April 2018, 12:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Adaptive Cruise Control has been around for a while along with features like lane departure warning, steering hold reminder, speed limit warning identifier, etc. However these are not really useful in the few cars available in India as they depend heavily on the traffic patters, uniform lane markings, uniform road signage's all through the camera.

So hoping to use such a system reliably in India is still a distant dream. What exactly is the point of this thread?
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 16:58   #34
BHPian

It is indeed Adaptive Cruise Control. Even with most advanced version of ACC, it is not automatic driving as car cannot turn or take diversions on it's own.
ACC has been around for fairly long time though it's been constantly improving. I have been using such cars on and off for a while now here in Netherlands. There are many flavours of how it usually works. Most cars with ACC will have a way to manually adjust the distance between the car and vehicle in front while cruising. Most advanced ones can deal anything from stop and go traffic to 150+ Kmph. Lesser advanced ones can do cruising above a certain speed limit, but goes off automatically when speed goes below a certain limit. Having automatic shift makes it more meaningful as otherwise the level of automation and range to what ACC can operate gets limited.

Here is a demo video.
dileepcm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 17:50   #35
BHPian

Here is a video by Ford showing Adaptive Cruise control:

Basically, ACC uses radar sensors which detect the vehicle in front and mantain a safe distance and brake within the distance.

Here is a detailed Wikipedia article about Adaptive Cruise Control:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto...control_system
Prathiiik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th April 2018, 00:39   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

We have ACC on our Focus. Its pretty good, I use it all the time
Jeroen
Old 16th April 2018, 22:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

I use ACC very often in my car. In the Indian context, I think owners need to keep a couple of things in mind when trying ACC for the first time. First, ACC maintains about 2-3 car lengths distance to the car in front, especially at highway speeds. In Indian traffic, this is an open invitation to others to barge in and occupy the space. Secondly, once someone has barged in, ACC slows the car down to maintain a lower speed due to reduced distance to the car in front. This might catch the guy behind off guard, if he is following too close behind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks