Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2006, 23:34   #16
BHPian

I think there are 3 levels of thinking using LPG.....whenever any one decides to go for LPG either of this thinking is prevailing....

1)When one thinks about himself only and about his pocket....then he thinks of using lpg as its cheap compared petrol right now....(One is taking care of himself only)

2)When one starts taking care of his car...he extends his thinking further....using lpg gives 20% more life to engine....so he goes for it...(One is extending his love to his cars)

3)And when one thinks about environment & pollution & wishes to contribute keeping earth green then he goes for LPG.....(One is going infinite thinking of helping Mother Nature)..........

However ....more we think about nature more we incline towards such products.These are just thoughts sharing......

Enjoy.....

Last edited by finetuning : 21st July 2006 at 23:37.
Old 22nd July 2006, 02:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well just to clear the air, here is my 2 cents.

* If you go down to the atomic level both LPG and petrol are basically long chain hydrocarbons. The only difference is a few atoms here and there.
* In fact OEM take a lot of pains to vapourize and atomise petrol with multihole injectors and swirl/tumple flows, so by the time the petrol reaches the spark-plug its also in gaseous form like LPG.
* LPG has a much higher octane rating, so you can bump up both compression and timing advance to recover lost power.

Now regarding installations

* There are a lot of chaalu mechanics out there who take kits designed for carb engines (cheaper) and fit them into MPFI cars by cutting and splicing leading to probs Psycho mentioned.
* Just like all cars are not equal.........all kits are not equal.
* A good kit will have an injector emulator module and a timing advancer module that keep the pump an injector just fine.
* As far as power, if you are worried, buy a car that has more than enough power and then LPG it. You will still be fine. If you start with a car thats underpowered then it leads to probs.
* Ultimately, the throttle response will never be as sharp as a petrol car. ( at least I havent seen one)
* Again like Psycho mentioned, if you are in a mood for some fast driving just flick back to petrol let 'er rip for the next 20 - 30 kms. Not gonna hurt your wallet by much.
* Pretty much any mod for a petrol car should show the same gains in LPG cars.
That was dope,Duuude.
U'RE THE MAN!!!!
Old 24th July 2006, 13:24   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finetuning
2)When one starts taking care of his car...he extends his thinking further....using lpg gives 20% more life to engine....so he goes for it...(One is extending his love to his cars)

3)And when one thinks about environment & pollution & wishes to contribute keeping earth green then he goes for LPG.....(One is going infinite thinking of helping Mother Nature)..........
For point 2, I really do not know where you get those % figures from, I was under the impression you must have gained 20- 40% improvement on the car from the day you started modding it?

LPG increases engine life by 20% is something really new as I thought LPG does not give you enough lubrication and can lead to fatigue on the engine reducing the engine life

As for point 3 LPG is also a hydrocarbon and gives out emmisions like any other Internal Combustion Engine. The only green car I know of for the moment in India is the Maini Reva.
Old 24th July 2006, 15:00   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
For point 2, I really do not know where you get those % figures from, I was under the impression you must have gained 20- 40% improvement on the car from the day you started modding it?

LPG increases engine life by 20% is something really new as I thought LPG does not give you enough lubrication and can lead to fatigue on the engine reducing the engine life

As for point 3 LPG is also a hydrocarbon and gives out emmisions like any other Internal Combustion Engine. The only green car I know of for the moment in India is the Maini Reva.
Is there any point debating about my mods in this thread????......

About lpg increasing the enginelife by 20% is the outcome of less carbon deposits inside combustion chamber.....spark plug...oil....cylinder remains carbon free compared to petrol........lpg is 100% octane hence burn better & clean ...........hence there in increase in the life of engine.....

About the emission...its well known fact that lpg produces less pollution compared to petrol & diesel.....thats why its called GREEN FUEL...........

Kindly go thru this link.....

http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/benefit.html

http://www.eco-cars.net/pages/about_lpg.php

http://www.boostlpg.co.uk/what_is/faq.htm...........
Old 24th July 2006, 16:24   #20
BANNED

My trusted local mechanic just told me that 2 Palios he came across with LPG kits had their ECM wiring burnt due to some kind of overloading caused by the kits.

Has anyone had an experience like this?
Old 24th July 2006, 19:34   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Is there any point debating about my mods in this thread????......

About lpg increasing the enginelife by 20% is the outcome of less carbon deposits inside combustion chamber.....spark plug...oil....cylinder remains carbon free compared to petrol........lpg is 100% octane hence burn better & clean ...........hence there in increase in the life of engine.....

About the emission...its well known fact that lpg produces less pollution compared to petrol & diesel.....thats why its called GREEN FUEL...........

Kindly go thru this link.....

http://www.go-lpg.co.uk/benefit.html

http://www.eco-cars.net/pages/about_lpg.php

http://www.boostlpg.co.uk/what_is/faq.htm...........

Hey Finetuning,

Its high time you take a chill pill. Its very good that you are experimenting with various new stuff you have googled of the net, but please limit it to yourself only. It is an experiment at the end of the day and unless you have a complete event by event log with before and after pics to show everyone over lets say 10,000 kms dont mislead anyone.

Do you even know what the longterm(read 10,000kms) effect of your experiments is on the engines. People are trying to be polite and would appreciate it if you take a hint.

No point screaming your head about it. You have posted and interested people will read dont try and force your views on ignorant people who along with you will end up suffering in the long run.

Please do take this advice in the right spirit and do us all a favour.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 24th July 2006 at 19:42.
Old 24th July 2006, 21:48   #22
BHPian

Viper,

What wrong sharing technicality?....I dont understand why such point raised?.....This thread is going where?......and about my experiment....if anything goes wrong then I will be suffering at the end.......I never claimed anything except what being done with my car........

Enjoy.....
Old 24th July 2006, 22:47   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Viper,

What wrong sharing technicality?....I dont understand why such point raised?.....This thread is going where?......and about my experiment....if anything goes wrong then I will be suffering at the end.......I never claimed anything except what being done with my car........

Enjoy.....

Hey Buddy,

I have nothing against you or sharing of your experiments. In the better intrest of people at large and more so your own good what you can do is specify that please carry out all experiments at your own risk as you have done so. Rest is upto you this is my advice to you.

Viper
Old 24th July 2006, 23:12   #24
BHPian

LPG and the injector check light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho
Please make sure that they do not cut the wiring harness and leave it open while installing the switch for the fuel pump, however all that needs to be done for the injectors is to disconnect the adapters behind them when you are running on LPG.

In the case of the GTX which I have converted to LPG there is a negligible drop in performance only after 4500rpm and infact till 4500rpm there is more pep when driving on lpg atleast on my car.

Well coming to the reason for the quote please note that in the PALIO GTX the fuel pump is automatically throttled or switched off if the injector light comes on after the engine is cranked as mentioned in the workshop manual available at TVS cochin. (Throttled if one injector malfunctions and stopped if all the injectors fail) This is a way of saving the pump. So if the injector light does not come and stay on while driving on LPG as is expected to happen when using an emulator we will end up with a burnt fuel pump assembly. The only option to save your pump in the case of the GTX is to use the version available for carb based cars which will require you to cut and splice the single earth(-) wire that goes to the injectors and connect it to the cut out. I know it is downright illogical to recommend a carb based one for the injector fitted cars but thats the only fail safe option in the case of the GTX. I do not know about the workings of the ECU of other cars as they may not control intimately the working of the fuel pump. Bye and wear your seatbelts.
Old 25th July 2006, 00:11   #25
BANNED

Great. One more thing to confuse my mind...supposed to get the kits this week...
Old 25th July 2006, 17:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Great. One more thing to confuse my mind...supposed to get the kits this week...
i wouldn't worry too much if i were u...it all depends on the kit & how it is fitted, most of the time (95%) it is pretty good & safe. i really dont know why some people cannot digest the fact that LPG is good for cars. In my experience (6 years), Lovato is not the best, though the importer is a friend of mine, i would suggest Zavoli kit for trouble free performance. running on LPG, i save between 18k to 30 k a month, which i use for sprucing up my baby . so go ahead, dont have 2nd thoughts about it

cheers

Last edited by esteem_lover : 25th July 2006 at 17:20.
Old 25th July 2006, 17:21   #27
BHPian

LPG gas kits for Bikes

hello guys
I was off to Jodhpur(rajasthan )the place where Apna salman is accused in hunting a deer....coming to the point
It was new to me to see the bikes running on lpg kits of 2 litres and cost of converting the bike was Rs3300\- and the cost per kms was coming to few paise.
suonds amazing seeing a two litre tank attached to your bike...........
Old 25th July 2006, 18:46   #28
BANNED

The guy I spoke to is suggesting BRC kits for 24 thousand each (2 Optras). He said this is the only kit which is approved for Optra. No cutting of any wires or anything.

We live in Versova and this guy is located next to Balakrishna Tyres opposite ZAF on the Link Road. He was recommended by my neighbour who just installed a kit in his Accent.

Any comments?
Old 25th July 2006, 20:12   #29
BHPian

I dont remember exactly but there are products for lpg driven car where during lpg mode they increases ignition timing to give same performance in gas...when we switch to petrol mode.......its being retarded so as to give smooth knock free running in car..........I think this are ignition control modules.....also I found good increase in power when used ngk iridium plug.....

Enjoy.....
Old 25th July 2006, 20:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dins
hello guys
I was off to Jodhpur(rajasthan )the place where Apna salman is accused in hunting a deer....coming to the point
It was new to me to see the bikes running on lpg kits of 2 litres and cost of converting the bike was Rs3300\- and the cost per kms was coming to few paise.
suonds amazing seeing a two litre tank attached to your bike...........
Sounds interesting. Where do they mount the tank ?? Any pics?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks