Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2014, 03:04   #1
BHPian

Dzire security system fails, unlocks all doors!

Hey guys

I had a strange issue yesterday. The car was locked and parked inside my house on Thursday, now next day morning when I go to unlock the car the keyless system doesn't work. It doesn't respond to any of my commands. So I tried to unlock the doors with the key but to my utter shock the doors were OPEN. I thought it might because of some light that might have remained on during the night draining the battery. But the car starts in a single cell.

What's more is that the speed sensing door lock was also down. Checked the fuses they were OK. So took it to the service center where they checked the fuses and both the keys. Finally Nippon sent a guy to check it. Now what was the biggest shock is he said that the module is not getting power, he diagnosed it as a wiring problem. Now my question is how can a wiring problem develop overnight? and even if it does how can it unlock the car on it's own?

Quiet scary that means anyone can open the car and take it away as anti theft was also down. The car is currently with the ASC, they are checking the wiring. BTW there were no error codes. Car is just 7 months old.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 03:17   #2
BHPian

re: Dzire security system fails, unlocks all doors!

Very shocking issue indeed.

As you say battery was not down, only 2 possibilities I can think of are:-
1). Someone in house tried the remote and accidentally unlocked it while it was parked.
2). The lock system mal-functioned and would need to be replaced.

ASC assumption about wiring problem is strange and cannot happen easily, least chances for a locked car to get wiring problem,
once car is locked it certainly cuts power to most things.

I would not be shocked if you are presented with a BILL and
they'll ask for money stating that issue doesn't falls under the warranty coverage.
Old 19th July 2014, 03:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Very shocking issue indeed.

As you say battery was not down, only 2 possibilities I can think of are:
1) Someone in house tried the remote and accidentally unlocked it while it was parked.
2). The lock system mal-functioned and would need to be replaced.

ASC assumption about wiring problem is strange and cannot happen easily, least chances for a locked car to get wiring problem,
once car is locked it certainly cuts power to most things.

I would not be shocked if you are presented with a BILL and
they'll ask for money stating that issue doesn't falls under the warranty coverage.

Point no. 1 is not possible because even if the car is unlocked accidently it will lock again in 30 seconds. I am sure it wasn't accidentally unlocked.

I am also not worried about the bill part as far as the problem is solved and doesn't occur again. I feel it is the module that has failed. Nippon guy said that the module wasn't recieveing power.
Old 19th July 2014, 08:29   #4
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
Finally Nippon sent a guy to check it. Now what was the biggest shock is he said that the module is not getting power, he diagnosed it as a wiring problem. Now my question is how can a wiring problem develop overnight?
Rats, perhaps? These notorious little critters are known to cause loads of trouble.

Quote:
and even if it does how can it unlock the car on it's own?
This shouldn't happen and it is indeed shocking. Even if rats had caused wiring damage, a locked car should remain locked.

The only assuring thing in this episode would be the iCATS immobiliser, which would prevent the car from being started without inserting the right key. It's very good on Maruti Suzuki's part to provide the iCATS immobiliser as a standard feature on almost all its models.

Still, the iCATS immobiliser wouldn't prevent theft of valuables kept inside the car, or the stereo system.

It looks like we will have to rely on more than a couple of theft-deterrent features to secure our vehicles. The more, the better.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 08:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now what was the biggest shock is he said that the module is not getting power, he diagnosed it as a wiring problem. Now my question is how can a wiring problem develop overnight? and even if it does how can it unlock the car on it's own?
Yes, it can happen. Hence along with electronic device, a mechanical device (such as steering lock, gear lock) would help and the combination would act as a better deterrent.
Old 19th July 2014, 10:30   #6
BANNED

Quote:

Now what was the biggest shock is he said that the module is not getting power, he diagnosed it as a wiring problem. Now my question is how can a wiring problem develop overnight? and even if it does how can it unlock the car on it's own?
Both of your car's are jinxed man! Get a puja done for them.

Coming to the problem, did you notice any red light flashing on the button labelled 'Alarm' that is located bedside the front fog lamp switch?

If,

No red light flashing - Disarmed stage
Red light flashing slowly - Alarmed stage.

Do you remember any indication?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 11:00   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

If you are sure of not unlocking the door yourself, it is definitely the module that has gone wrong and not problem related to receiving power. From the past six years of owning two cars with the same security system, the only time the battery went dead, the car was still locked. It was sitting dead and when I manually unlocked the car, only the drivers side door unlocked and again everything inside was dead.

Hence even if power was cut, there is no reason why the door must unlock. But the newer systems have an unlock under impact feature, which may unlock even if power is cut but I am not sure of this.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 14:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Both of your car's are jinxed man! Get a puja done for them.

Coming to the problem, did you notice any red light flashing on the button labelled 'Alarm' that is located bedside the front fog lamp switch?

If,

No red light flashing - Disarmed stage
Red light flashing slowly - Alarmed stage.

Do you remember any indication?

Anurag.

LOL I expected that reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If you are sure of not unlocking the door yourself, it is definitely the module that has gone wrong and not problem related to receiving power. From the past six years of owning two cars with the same security system, the only time the battery went dead, the car was still locked. It was sitting dead and when I manually unlocked the car, only the drivers side door unlocked and again everything inside was dead.

Hence even if power was cut, there is no reason why the door must unlock. But the newer systems have an unlock under impact feature, which may unlock even if power is cut but I am not sure of this.

coming to the problem. The alarm button wasn't working, as in no light at all, no speed sensing door lock, no beeps/chirp, keys non functional(both).

The ASC called up the wiring is OK. They suspect the module has failed. My friend owning Dzire Zdi's are now scared to park their cars outside.

THE BIGGEST QUESTION: Why did the car unlock!? it shouldn't happen in any circumstance. Also, it wasn't rats as suggested by many. Would like to hear the nippon guys explanation on this. If it unlocks without even a chirp or any warning will have to look for other security measures like gear lock.

Also, another swift reported with a similar issue yesterday which I forgot to mention. Only in his case the car refused to lock but did unlock. That was a vdi I suppose. Can't confirm it was exactly the same issue because it might even be his keys.

EDIT: Just got a call saying the car is ready. The module had failed. They suspect the rains would have caused this. Probably moisture shorting the system.

Last edited by rockporiom : 19th July 2014 at 14:53.
Old 19th July 2014, 15:06   #9
BANNED

Quote:

EDIT: Just got a call saying the car is ready. The module had failed. They suspect the rains would have caused this. Probably moisture shorting the system.
Module failed and no fuse was blown?!

Surprising. Please do go and check the car and report back what is the issue and root cause?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 16:20   #10
BHPian

Re: Dzire security system fails, unlocks all doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Module failed and no fuse was blown?!

Surprising. Please do go and check the car and report back what is the issue and root cause?

Anurag.

The dealership is quiet far from my place so asked them to drop the car home. Had a talk with the manager, he says that it is because of rains. It comes to my mind also how did it fail if the fuses are there to protect anything like that from happening.
Old 19th July 2014, 16:24   #11
BHPian

Is your car parked in a safe place? I know inside your house but still. Do you have any security guards in your building ? If yes then did you ask them if anything unusual happened last night. Because I remember my cars security system going kaput due to moisture but the door was locked. I had to open it using the key. And mine is a simple
"Autocop Lock".
Please check with your guards.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 16:44   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
THE BIGGEST QUESTION: Why did the car unlock!? it shouldn't happen in any circumstance. Also, it wasn't rats as suggested by many. Would like to hear the nippon guys explanation on this.
This could be due to some fail-safe mechanism built into the car so that the occupants do not get stuck inside the car in case of any electrical malfunction (or any other catastrophe such as fire/ accidents etc) which may lead to them not be able to open the doors locks. This is the only logical reason that comes to my mind. More logical than being a suspected 'bug' in the system.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 16:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Is your car parked in a safe place? I know inside your house but still. Do you have any security guards in your building ? If yes then did you ask them if anything unusual happened last night. Because I remember my cars security system going kaput due to moisture but the door was locked. I had to open it using the key. And mine is a simple
"Autocop Lock".
Please check with your guards.
Mine is a bungalow in an independent society and I have a dog so no would dare to enter my house at night time. So I doubt anything like that would have happened.
Old 21st July 2014, 04:19   #14
BHPian

Hey guys
The car was returned today, I got a bill of Rs.0 with general check up in particulars and "keyless module replace by nippon engineer" in remarks. The car is fine now working as it should. They suspect rains caused this issue. Quiet strange as I never took my car water wading anywhere. Plus it just took 1 rainfall before failing.
rockporiom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 09:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
They suspect rains caused this issue.
I dont think you should leave the matter w/o finding the root cause. If the module is dead, the question is why is it alive to do these kind of stupid things? Find out if it is as per the design, if so, then its a big loop hole as the module can conk off at any time (may be purposefully or by itself) and anybody can get access to your car, in simple terms, there is no security.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 21st July 2014 at 09:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks