Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2006, 19:42   #46
Senior - BHPian

An update !!!

Just to update the latest developments on this issue.

Had gone to the MASS last Saturday. Before they started fixing this, I told them that I want to check out a brand new Lxi to see how the factory setting is. What I noticed is as below :

Irrespective of the position of the cabin light switch (Always Off OR On-only-when-door-opened OR Always On), the boot light comes on if any door is opened (even if the boot itself is closed).

If the cabin light switch is in "On-only-when-door-opened" position, if the boot is opened, the cabin light will also come up apart from the boot light.

So, summary is that, the boot light is wired to not only the boot lid, but also the other 4 doors. And even though this does not sound logical (what use does a lighted but closed boot serve ? ), I guess that is the way it is and I have to live with it.

So, the only way for me to avoid the bootlight burning away till battery is dead (due to any of the doors not closed fully), is to put the cabin light switch in "On-only-when-door-opened" position. Thus if the cabin light is on, it means one of the doors is not closed properly and the boot light would also be on. I could then close the doors properly so that the cabin light goes off, switching off the boot light also in the process.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 31st August 2006 at 19:44.
Old 23rd July 2008, 09:08   #47
Senior - BHPian

Humm, I had noticed this boot light behavior soon after getting delivery, and just thought like other guys that it was probably a mistake in wiring. I have been careful about this light since I was aware of the fact that draining battery is a serious crime and just leaving a light on for a night is enough to do that! Has been using the trick of keeping cabin light switch in middle position and use it as a warning. Additionally, it's my habit to watch out for security system's warning beeps/flashes. Thankfully the car also has key/headlight on reminder, so that takes care of head lights.

Didn't bother much so far. Now that I know it is very important to keep the wiring that way for security system's sake, thinking about a couple of alternatives- either add a manual switch for boot light alone (should be helpful while interior cleaning) and/or switch to LEDs.
Old 24th July 2008, 03:33   #48
BHPian

Hmmm.. Old thread, peculiar problem I see.

@supremeBaleno - So what exactly happened now? Did the problem get rectified? What I can suggest as a very simple option is to either install a rocker switch in your boot to manually use the boot light or install another push switch (same as OE) after the circuit of the OE boot switch. Both should work.

Luckily, the OHC, atleast my Type 1 has independent boot light operation. And to add on top of that, the boot light will only function when the parking lights are on. So no chance that I can exhaust the battery due to the boot light.

Last edited by ankitahuja : 24th July 2008 at 03:35.
Old 24th July 2008, 12:07   #49
Senior - BHPian

I had this issue with my verna .

When I took delivery of the car the Cabin light would not turn on if I opened the boot neither would the boot light turn on if I opened the doors. The Meter console even had a separate indicator for boot open.

Two days later i took the car to the HASS to get the security system installed which was being provided by the HASS free of cost. This was a Nippon NCS777 model. After this installation i notice that the boot open indicator is glowing even when i open the doors knew that the security system was suspect and checked the wiring diagram of the security systems which clearly shows that , now the door open stitches were wired in parallel to the boot open switch.

So now I get the door open indicator as well as the boot open indicator lowing when I open either.
I checked this out with a couple of other Vernas I saw in the HASS and all had similar behavior. But I never have had my battery drain on this account.
I wish I had a solution for this as now I don’t know whether the doors are open or the boot is open , when the lights go on

Last edited by hellstar : 24th July 2008 at 12:08. Reason: Formatting..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks