Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2014, 11:51   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura 1.9 PD - Gearbox damaged

Update - Visited Skoda to look at the damage. Looks like I had misunderstood the estimate on the phone - my bad :( He didn't say 92k approx, he said 192k!

The gearbox housing is indeed damaged. Strange that metal that thick has an inch long tear in it! Plus, gears 1, 2 and reverse have broken teeth. A few slip rings, seals, bearings are gone.

The total for parts is 167k, and labor is 25k. No point getting these over the counter from them, as I'll end up paying them 12k for the estimate and 167k for the parts! Plus labor to get it done outside, towing, etc.

So it makes sense to get this done outside only if I find all the parts / a used gearbox cheaper. Otherwise it's 2 lakhs gone. I'm also skeptical of rebuilding a gearbox outside of Skoda - if it doesn't work right or causes linked damage later I won't have anyone to go to. Plus, I called various sources - the axle/CV joint can be bought outside, but nobody seems to stock the gears etc.

Considering all this, we have decided to go ahead and spend the ridiculous amount. Sounds preposterous, but I don't see another solution that is viable at the moment.

I'll put up pictures of the damage + the complete list of parts in a bit.

What eludes me is the cause. If the gearbox was leaking due to the tear, say over a period of time, then the box could have run dry, causing it to sieze at some point, and a spinning axle with a suddenly jammed gearbox could cause the CV joint to break. This sounds plausible. But this means that the gearbox was leaking oil before the joint broke. So how was it leaking? Through the hole in it's body? The SA feels that it is the axle itself which caused that gearbox body damage when it broke - it must have hit it. Then, was the gearbox leaking due to a ruptured seal only?

I have no answer, and the Skoda people can't figure it out. I agree that a CV joint could give way under stress or due to a sticky gearbox. Part failiure. But an inch long hole in the housing can't be natural failiure - it is clearly an impact. However, the insurance company insists it's not an impact, and the A.S.S insists it is. Strange!
Old 11th August 2014, 20:28   #17
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura 1.9 PD - Gearbox damaged

I've seen the gearbox casing (handi) of several cars and its pretty strong. Its highly unlikely in my opinion that a seized gearbox would cause damage to the axle and a tear in the handi. I think your driver probably hit a stray object on the road right beneath the left hand side axle causing the axle to tear that 1 inch hole in the handi and the subsequent damage to the gear teeth. I don't think purchasing gearbox components outside of ASS is not possible here in India for Skodas. Your could try to locate a decently priced used tranny.

Last edited by bullrun87 : 11th August 2014 at 20:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks