Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2014, 23:33   #1

Hyundai Xcent / Grand i10 EPS issue: Steering suddenly becomes 'loose'

facing problem with power steering on my Hyundai Xcent SX(O).
sometimes it will be a free wheel for a brief period of around 10 min and will be normal after that. in last 10 days faced this issue 3 times. during first servicing done by Trident Hyundai at Mahadevapura, technician inspected and found no problem.
any idea what is causing this problem. Please advise
Thanks in advance.
RVVSatya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2014, 14:04   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVVSatya View Post
sometimes it will be a free wheel for a brief period of around 10 min and will be normal after that. in last 10 days faced this issue 3 times. during first servicing done by Trident Hyundai at Mahadevapura, technician inspected and found no problem.
Thanks in advance.
Hey, I faced the exact same problem in my Grand i10 a few months back - car had only 1600 kms on the odo. It became a free wheel as soon as I started the car while waiting at a signal and was really freaked. Had a tough time negotiating the traffic for a few minutes. Turned off the car for a few minutes and restarted and since then it's been fine. Took it to the advaith BG road workshop and had a word with the AGM service as well who did a thorough check for any error codes - none found. They could not replicate the issue during the test drive.

Since then, there has been a slight play at center position but I guess that's OK. To circumvent the issue, one thing I've noticed is that while parking you need to keep the wheel dead center, leaving it slightly off-center with the tyres also turned leads to this happening a bit sometimes as well.

Hope it doesn't become a serious issue.

Last edited by Parth46 : 11th August 2014 at 14:05. Reason: removed a few typos
Parth46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 03:40   #3
Team-BHP Support

Free wheel in the sense- the wheels don't turn at all no matter what you do with the steering?

Or is it just increased play of the steering? The former sounds really scary in traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 12th August 2014, 11:37   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Free wheel in the sense- the wheels don't turn at all no matter what you do with the steering?

Or is it just increased play of the steering? The former sounds really scary in traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
In my case, the steering became really "loose" and started moving in almost a free manner. The wheels were still turning but the whole steering wheel felt almost totally "limp" and instead of staying in the center would drop to the driver's right if you let go of it. Hope this explains better.

Like I mentioned in my post above, happened only once.
Parth46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 19:54   #5

Parth46, thanks for your advise, will keep wheels straight while parking. Tried replicating the problem by keeping sideways when parking(yesterday night), but could not faced this issue today. Need to see few more times and will try to replicate the issue.
I checked with few more owners of Grand i10 and Xcent, but they didn't come across this problem so far.
CrAzY dRiVeR, ( sorry to address with your user-id, I do not know your real name)
the free wheel means, really it will the steering wheel will turn with very little effort. feels almost weight less situation of the wheel. when going straight, even though steering feels weightless, but during turns, the situation is becoming scary, as the wheels turn too much and going to right side of the road giving trouble to oncoming traffic. felt this situation three times so far in last one month and each time, this situation is felt around max of 5 to 10 minutes only, after that it is normal. Hope I made the problem understandable to you.
RVVSatya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 07:37   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
In my case, the steering became really "loose" and started moving in almost a free manner. The wheels were still turning but the whole steering wheel felt almost totally "limp" and instead of staying in the center would drop to the driver's right if you let go of it. Hope this explains better.

Quote:
Parth46, thanks for your advise, will keep wheels straight while parking. Tried replicating the problem by keeping sideways when parking(yesterday night), but could not faced this issue today. Need to see few more times and will try to replicate the issue.
I checked with few more owners of Grand i10 and Xcent, but they didn't come across this problem so far.
CrAzY dRiVeR, ( sorry to address with your user-id, I do not know your real name)
the free wheel means, really it will the steering wheel will turn with very little effort. feels almost weight less situation of the wheel. when going straight, even though steering feels weightless, but during turns, the situation is becoming scary, as the wheels turn too much and going to right side of the road giving trouble to oncoming traffic. felt this situation three times so far in last one month and each time, this situation is felt around max of 5 to 10 minutes only, after that it is normal. Hope I made the problem understandable to you.
Thats a serious issue with the Grand i10 and Xcent then! Thankfully - my parents havent reported this issue till now. Will give them a heads up anyways. Thanks.

Sujai
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 08:48   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think this steering issue is a very serious one and should be reported en masse to hyundai. They must fix this, if required via a recall. This has a very real chance of becoming a life threatening defect in the car!
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 08:58   #8
BHPian

Does the i20 Elite share the same steering setup? I'm 99% on-board with getting one and hence the concern (no, can't wait for the niggles to be "found & fixed"; need a car asap).
Old 14th August 2014, 12:05   #9
BHPian

This is all quite strange. I have thankfully not faced this issue in my Xcent SX(O). However, there have been times when I have felt the steering to be a bit looser than usual. This is usually only fleeting though. I usually park with my wheels straight.

Thanks for the heads up guys...will def. check with my local showroom about it.
Old 14th August 2014, 13:26   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Hey, I faced the exact same problem in my Grand i10 a few months back - car had only 1600 kms on the odo. It became a free wheel as soon as I started the car while waiting at a signal and was really freaked. Had a tough time negotiating the traffic for a few minutes. Turned off the car for a few minutes and restarted and since then it's been fine.

Since then, there has been a slight play at center position but I guess that's OK. To circumvent the issue, one thing I've noticed is that while parking you need to keep the wheel dead center, leaving it slightly off-center with the tyres also turned leads to this happening a bit sometimes as well.
Quote:
Wow! So I am not alone facing this concern. My Grand i10 is Feb 2014 model. Its crdi magna. I almost had a nasty crash at 55 kmph due to this steering issue.

What happens in my case is this : All of a sudden, for a few moments, the steering becomes very very over-assisted. So much so that the over assistance results into too much directional change than required. I almost had crashed head on into a biker at 55, were it not for my reflexes. Could not go on that road for a few days then.

Over assistance is not problem, the sudden occurrence of this issue is what is life threatening. The steering is normal ( which is also quite light in the first place ) and you are driving. You need a directional change and move the steering only to find that its in over assistance mode all of a sudden. Your judgement is as per normal steering. This over assistance kills all your judgement. An individual would apply, let say "x" level of force considering what is normal for the car, to change direction by "y" degree. The overassistance results into "y+y" directional change.

Its scary, very scary. Precisely, due to this reason and insensitive diesel, I feel like using my Wagon R more than grand i10.

EDIT : When does this crop up ?
IMO, a few sudden directional changes results into this. Lets say one is changing direction repeatedly in quick succession like avoiding traffic. This is where I have observed things to go haywire. What I mean is : repeated steering inputs in quick succession creates this scenario. May be the system is oversmart to consider this as a tough parking scenario ( even if it thinks like parking in tough situation, is should have been linked to speed ) and creates horribly over assisting scenario. But should have been linked to speed.

This over assistance scenario also happens at high speed. I was on highway and had done a few overtaking and undertaking maneuver to overtake slow moving vehicles. All of a sudden the steering becomes super light to my horror. When you are zig zaging to overtake those truck based busses and overloaded Innova's and trucks, this is scary. Fortunately, could control the car as there was no oncoming traffic and prevented my obituary from getting into print.

I request all Grand i10/Xcent owners to atleast report any issue of similar sort. May be it can help us build some data to discuss with Hyundai. I initially thought that I am not used to new car with light steering wheel and as such it normally takes sometime before one gets used to any new car. After Baleno, this was a shock and hence thought something is not OK with me. A few doubts did cross my mind that why does it not happen with Wagon R and only grand i10 feels odd ? Why has it taken so long for me to get used to car ? It normally happens in kms., not even days. But in busy life, I did not pay attention and blamed myself for this feeling. Yes, I actually ignored it considering my error or overthinking. After reading posts of others, it seems a genuine concern and not just feeling or understanding a car.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 14th August 2014 at 13:47.
aaggoswami is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 14:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Never ever observed this in my April 2014 manufactred Xcent 1.2 S.

Will need to close eye from now on.
Old 14th August 2014, 23:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Just did a first service of my Car, in months use of 1500 Kms (City+ highway). Never came across something like this. Will surely have to keep an eye on it.
Old 15th August 2014, 15:13   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Xcent / Grand i10 EPS issue: Steering suddenly becomes 'loose'

Mod Note: Thanks to CrAzY dRiVeR for his reported post. Steering issue is dangerous, moved to its own independent thread.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2014, 08:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

This is a serious issue, Hyundai needs to take proactive steps to address this issue at the earliest before any untoward incidents happen.

Imagine this issue arising on an highway at speeds above 60Kmph, this can lead to total loss of control.
Old 16th August 2014, 08:50   #15
BHPian

A serious enough issue for TBHP to consider bringing this to Hyundai's attention directly. Any one of us can individually do so, but it may be more effective coming from the forum itself. For Hyundai itself, responding directly here will mean it will reach out to a large number of Grand i10/Xcent owners. It would be a great example of the constructive contribution of social media in general, and of TBHP in particular.

The leaders of this forum may want to consider.
Secretariat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed