Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2017, 14:55   #46

Re: Hyundai Xcent / Grand i10 EPS issue: Steering suddenly becomes 'loose'

The EPS (Electric Power Steering) motor in my Grand i10 has failed, which was detected after performing a scan at the Hyundai service centre. The steering is absolutely heavy to move and the power steering warning light on the dashboard remains on and doesn't go off. I would like to know whether the EPS motor inside the steering column could be repaired after opening it up, since a new EPS motor with labour costs around Rupees 7000 if done at the service centre.
Also, although no other error code was detected while performing the scan (only EPS motor failure), is it possible that some other sensor, loose / bad power connections may be the cause.
Old 13th November 2017, 17:44   #47
BHPian

Yesterday, I went to Hyundai ASS with the same problem. Earlier I reported the issue, they informed no error code detected, so taking action is difficult. This time, I was able to convince them, & they had promised me for a thorough check-up (Sensor, EPS system etc.). Because it was Sunday, not many people were there in workshop yesterday & another thing, I was in hurry. So I informed them, will come in next few days ( also to discuss the matter here in T-BHP). So will keep updating in this section.

Other issues why I went to ASS is regarding gear & clutch. Issue is, 1st gear is not engaging smoothly while car is moving. Like, suppose I am crawling in 2nd gear in B2B traffic & wanted to shift to 1st while moving, it resists for doing so. Though with a little pressure it can be done. But the same experience would not have been there, had I tried to shift to 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th.

For clutch, the issue is, it became hard. ODO is 20K, I generally drive with minimum use of C pedal. They told after checking that, It seems for both the gear & clutch, problem is same, “clutch mein thoda step ho raha hai”. I could not understand the concept “step ho raha hai”. But he told that they will apply grease wherever required to see if the problem still exists, otherwise will operate clutch & gearbox to fix both the issues. I decided to have a word with mechanic instead of SA, but my doubts are:-

1) Whether it is good to operate gearbox?
2) I am bit skeptical to let them operate gearbox or clutch as it can hamper the factory fittings. Am I overthinking? I mean, is it normal to operate gearbox & clutch at 20K km?

Please provide your valuable input in this regard.

Thanks.
Old 14th November 2017, 09:04   #48

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
In my case, the steering became really "loose" and started moving in almost a free manner. The wheels were still turning but the whole steering wheel felt almost totally "limp" and instead of staying in the center would drop to the driver's right if you let go of it. Hope this explains better.

Like I mentioned in my post above, happened only once.
I have been facing the same issue with my Hyundai Grand i10 (model: 2014).
The steering tends to go loose sometimes in speeds lesser than 30kmph and the car tends to pull towards the right.
Checked with the ASA of Hyundai but they could not replicate the issue.
So just wanted to check if wheel alignment was the reason for the same and got the alignment corrected. But, the issue still persists.
So changed the tires thinking irregular thread wearing might be the reason because the tires were 30000kms old. But, the issue still persists.

Almost on a daily basis I have been facing this issue.

Careful observations:
1. Occurs in speeds below 30kmph
2. Occurs when there is a banking towards the right
3. Issue occurs for a minute or two then becomes normal
Old 14th November 2017, 12:29   #49
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul4 View Post
I have been facing the same issue with my Hyundai Grand i10 (model: 2014).
The steering tends to go loose sometimes in speeds lesser than 30kmph and the car tends to pull towards the right.
Checked with the ASA of Hyundai but they could not replicate the issue.
So just wanted to check if wheel alignment was the reason for the same and got the alignment corrected. But, the issue still persists.
So changed the tires thinking irregular thread wearing might be the reason because the tires were 30000kms old. But, the issue still persists.

Almost on a daily basis I have been facing this issue.

Careful observations:
1. Occurs in speeds below 30kmph
2. Occurs when there is a banking towards the right
3. Issue occurs for a minute or two then becomes normal
My suggestion is try to capture a video of the situation. It can help ASS to understand the problem, as the issue dont throw any error in OBD system. I know, its not safe & very difficult to capture video while driving. On that case you can ask co-passenger to capture it.

Also, you told correctly it happens only below 20-30 km spped, so capturing a video while driving will definitely not recommended but as a last resort you may go for it. Again, its very unsafe to do so, please do not use phone if your are not comfortable to do so, or check surroundings for taking such actions

Other members please share your views, may be a consolidated feedback can be sent to Hyundai.
cp171185 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 00:28   #50

I have experienced this symptom thrice on my Jan 2015 Petrol Grand i10 Sportz.

The first time on the Bangalore-Mysore highway going to Rasta Cafe. I was still a learning driver at the time and didn't think much about it.

The second time it happened on the highway from Vellore returning to Bangalore. The highway was nearly deserted and I had my foot down on the Accelerator on a straight stretch. The steering suddenly went completely loose. Thankfully, I had read about this in team-bhp BEFORE it happened to me.

The next time was pretty recently on the Hubli - Davangere - Chitradurga highway returning to Bangalore. This time I was almost anticipating the steering to go loose. Had even told my co-passenger about it before the start of the journey.

So, at least in my car, this happens consistently. Always on straight stretch of highways when the car is nearing 120 kmph. But the car is still drive-able. As long as the driver does not panic.
Old 1st January 2019, 09:58   #51
BHPian

Sorry to bring an old thread on surface again, however I am curious to know if this issue persists in new generations (post 2017 face lift) of Grand i10?

I am planning to buy one in near future and the EPS issues reported here might force me to think about it again. I am aware that a new generation of the car might arrive later this year, however the discount offered with current one is really tempting with the feature list in the car (Sportz variant especially).

Has Hyundai ever acknowledged this being an 'issue' in first place or is it just being treated on 'whoever reports it' basis?
Old 1st January 2019, 11:07   #52
Senior - BHPian

We own a 2015 manufactured Xcent, and haven't faced this issue in our car till date.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2020, 19:46   #53
BHPian

A similar issue made me bump into this old thread.
I drive a Grand i10 (MY 2018, Asta, Petrol).
Few weeks ago, while returning home from work, the steering felt very loose, and was turning 'left' when I take my hands off. I experienced this in speeds below 30kmph. There were no error signals on the speedo cluster. I parked the car in a safe spot immediately and checked tire pressure. All 4 tires had 32psi (I stopped after about 2km from work. So tires didn't heat up).

Waited with engine off for about 10 minutes, restarted the car and checked the issue - it was still there. I couldn't capture a video, but my colleague sitting beside me could see that clearly.

Looked for nearest service centre and started driving there carefully. Again, after speeds crossed 30-40kmph, this issue was not there. Reached service centre. Checked the issue before presenting them - its gone! Checked after restarting the engine: Nothing again. It was about 6:30pm. So decided not to bother service centre guys at the closing time with an issue I couldn't show them.

Reached home carefully looking for the issue to come up suddenly. Luckily, I didnt face the issue again. Checked for this in TeamBHP, and here I found this thread.

I didn't drive the car the whole week. I drove for about 100km after that, but no such issue again (Touchwood!)

Since I cannot reproduce this issue again, will a service centre visit help?
Old 1st April 2023, 16:27   #54

I run a 2016 Hyundai Xcent SX petrol. I have faced this issue with the steering coming loose. In fact, as I type this, my local service guy is diagnosing the issue. Initially, it showed that the steering control module was busted (it actually made my steering tight) so replaced it with a new one for ₹4400. So, that had ruled out any issue with the EPS motor itself. After the new steering control module was installed, any error codes were deleted. But the steering check light on the dashboard kept flashing. I noticed that the steering angle sensor is not giving any readout on the diagnostic tool, while the steering works but it is too light and loose.

I'm thinking that the steering angle sensor is busted, and needs to be replaced. Sigh.

Well, for a 7-year old car I ought to get rid of it. But it worked so far until this. Hopefully, these EPS troubles can be solved. And hey, I'm learning what can usually go wrong with it in detail. I'll keep this thread updated on this.
Old 7th May 2023, 00:13   #55
BHPian

I am actually facing the opposite issue. The steering of my Grand i10 (petrol at)is very heavy. And I mean it, it feels as if the motor is just pumping half the power also its not self centering. While my i20’s (petrol) turns with one finger. I visited the service center today, the advisor replaced the motor as well as the EPS module but couldn’t fix the problem. He drove another customers car and felt the same issue. Although the Diesel variant’s steering is very light he concluded the petrol’s didn’t. I am still confused. Does anyone else face this heavy steering problem in their Grand i10s? (mine is a 2017 model)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks