Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2014, 00:49   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti 800 with 240,000 kms: What repairs & maintenance to perform?

Hello All,

My dad owns a 5 Speed 800 DX which has done close to 2.4Lac Kms till date. It is a March 2000 model. It is now my daily drive. Even though the car is mechanically perfect with zero issues till date, there are a few queries which I must ask so as to relieve myself.

Before you ask me, let me state that the car has endured so long due to the untiring efforts of my dad. Let me state this way-the car was literally babied rather than being used, and it has returned the same love to us with no breakdowns or unexpected costs.
As far as I know and according to Maruti's records, the following major things were changed-
1. Something called half engine kit at 2,01,000kms
2. Clutch Plate once.
3. Suspension was overhauled once at around 1 lac kms or so, and it has been running on it ever since, with only bush replacements at some intervals.
4. Exhaust can was changed twice.

Now my main reason of creating this thread- Some parts are lasting way too much, which is my concern. Recently, during service, the mechanic found that the fuel filter was the original factory fitted one, and that was the reason of idle issue which had cropped up recently.
This is not a single part which has caught my fancy.the factory fitted Accelerator cable was replaced yesterday as it had become a bit jammed. Similarly, a belt on the pulley( I don't know the exact term ) which is visible near the alternator has never been changed till date, and whenever I ask my service people to have a look, they reply that the part is as good as new. It still has its date of manufacture written on it(23.8.99)

While browsing T-BHP, I saw some pics of clogged up radiator. I took my car to service and found that though it was a bit dirty, it was not as bad I had thought.
I am tired of browsing T-BHP and finding areas which my car might need attention, but I come back home with the same stupid feeling-that my car has proved me wrong-AGAIN!!!!.
There are many more things I can list-For example the dashboard blower has never been cleaned, yet there is no foul smell or less air flow issues. Hell, the underbody suspension elements and bearings have never been touched till date. I agree the car has never been abused, and we have always tried to avoid bad stretches of road even if the alternate route is a bit longer, but still, can a car last so longer??

I sometimes suspect my car to be having some sort of supernatural powers. It once saved itself from a theft attempt, which is drafted here-http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fo...car-theft.html. But this is not why I created this thread.
While trying to be pragmatic, I wish to know which parts need attention in such a long time. Even if they won't be needing immediate replacement, I have vowed to get them checked.
I urge all team members to guide me in the correct direction. All I want is peace of mind, which the car has bestowed in such huge amounts that I have grown a bit skeptical. I also don't wish to waste the money in getting some unnecessary parts changed, but I am just tired of this conversation at the service centre-
Me- Bhaiya, please carefully inspect each and every part and do let me know of any part which needs replacement.
Mechanic- No sir, your car is as good as new.

You all must have sensed my confusion levels by now.

Regards,

Shashi.

EDIT- Just went through Member HumYum's long term review of his 800 DX. And again my frustation increases. My car is still on its original ignition coils, original alternator, original axles , nothing replaced in braking system except brake pads and brake oil.... 800's front cross member is known to rust, ours is as fresh as new. I might sound stupid, I might sound the first person who is troubled as his car is not giving any troubles. But that is not the case. I am just trying to be alert, as I don't want my car to breakdown due to lack of maintenance. I hope you members will forgive me for such a long post.

A glimpse of my golden beauty-

Maruti 800 with 240,000 kms: What repairs & maintenance to perform?-20140714_131132_hdr.jpg
Maruti 800 with 240,000 kms: What repairs & maintenance to perform?-20140714_131107_hdr.jpg

Last edited by Leoshashi : 17th August 2014 at 01:09.
Leoshashi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 01:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Maruti 800 with 240,000 kms: What repair & maintenance to perform?

Leoshashi, From the pics the car looks in great shape and the account shared by you further proves that this car needs periodic checks at the Maruti ASC just to pacify your troubled mind and keep the car in best of condition. You know, I have a 8 year old Esteem with me and till date by god's grace it has never bothered us with anything serious.

Recently for the first time in 8 years I got the fan-belt changed of the car. Being alert is a good thing and if you follow a regular service schedule that should be more than enough. What I as a person feel is, the way it has been maintained by your father over the years and the good quality of spares 14 years back, are the reasons due to which the car is still able to retain it's look and performance. Maruti 800 is known to be the benchmark of economical driving and maintenance from past 2 decades.

Hence, don't burden yourself with unnecessary fears about your car. Just let it live normally and you too enjoy its company buddy. All the best.

Thanks

AD
Old 17th August 2014, 02:36   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Sir.

A query-How did you know that your fan belt needed replacement? ?
As far as I know, no such part has ever been touched/replaced.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 17th August 2014 at 02:44.
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 09:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
A query-How did you know that your fan belt needed replacement? ?
As far as I know, no such part has ever been touched/replaced.
Well, I felt the replacement of my car's fan-belt was due since the car used to make typical fan-belt sound when the car was started in the morning and when the AC used to be ON. The sound used to come for 5-6 seconds only but for me it was unpleasant and for my Paa too. During replacing it was found to be in a bad shape and could have snapped in a day or two.

So, in case if you experience any such sound only then go for it's replacement. Otherwise, just stick to regular checks of the car.

Thanks
ad3952n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 10:14   #5
BANNED

You seem to have forgotten 1 important thing. Your registration needs to be renewed next year. Start preparing for that.
Live To Jive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th August 2014, 10:24   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad3952n View Post
Well, I felt the replacement of my car's fan-belt was due since the car used to make typical fan-belt sound when the car was started in the morning and when the AC used to be ON. The sound used to come for 5-6 seconds only but for me it was unpleasant and for my Paa too. During replacing it was found to be in a bad shape and could have snapped in a day or two.

So, in case if you experience any such sound only then go for it's replacement. Otherwise, just stick to regular checks of the car.

Thanks
No, there are no such noises from the car.

@Live to Jive

Yes I'm already in the process of getting NOC and transferring the regn to my current city. Thanks for pointing that out.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 17th August 2014 at 10:27.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 15:24   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Maruti 800 with 240,000 kms: What repairs & maintenance to perform?

Leoshashi, firstly, congrats on keeping her so well and crossing 2 lakh kms! I usually use my cars till they fall apart too.

You would do well in screening through this checklist, taking care of all necessary items one by one. That said, keep the running restricted to the city only. You never know what might fail in such high mileage cars, and the 800's safety is outdated too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Every 10,000 kms

• Mobil 1 – Change engine oil & oil filter.
• Check and top-up all fluids (coolant, power steering, brake, transmission etc.).
• Clean K&N air filter (best done at 7,500 km mark).
• Wheel rotation, balancing & alignment. Check condition (include spare wheel).
• Check and adjust all belts. Replace if any are cracked / worn out.
• Check all hose pipes. Replace if any are cracked / worn out.
• Check wiper blades & adjust washer nozzles.
• Check all lights.
• Check / service battery.
• Complete cleaning and waxing of the car.
• Apply paint to the small nicks & dents. Get body work done where necessary. Get rid of any rust spots while they're still small.

Annually OR Every 20,000 kms

ALL FROM STEP ONE, PLUS:

• Radiator flush & engine coolant change.
• Replace wiper blades.
• Replace fuel filter.
• Check and clean brakes.
• Check brake hoses and lines.
• Check spark plugs.
• Check engine idle settings (speed & CO).
• Check clutch release arm travel.
• Check suspension (include dampers, bushings, tie-rod ends etc.).
• Check steering gearbox & boots.
• Check driveshaft boots.

Every Two years / 30,000 kms

• Change transmission / gear / differential oil. Some 4x4’s may require this on an annual basis.
• Brake line bleeding and fluid change.
• Change power steering fluid.
• Replace spark plugs.
• Clean fuel injectors.
• Clean / adjust throttle body.
• Check distributor cap, roter and ignition wiring.
• Check PCV valve.
• Check ignition timing.
• Check valve clearance and adjustment
• Complete air-con service.
• Check brake pads. Replacement may be necessary, especially for German cars.

Every 60,000 kms

• Change timing belt / balancer. Water pump replacement recommended.
• Revamp suspension (some cars may require this earlier).
• Change all drive belts.
• Change all hose pipes.
• Change K&N air filter?
• Check status of clutch plate and related parts.
• Check condition of engine mounts. May need replacement in some cars.

ETC.

• Check Tappet clearance. This is car specific, so best to check your owners manual for when / if tappet settings are required.
• It's a good idea to get your alternator & starter serviced every 5 - 6 years. Lucas has some company-owned outlets which would be of help.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 15:46   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations Shashi. I was waiting to get more details on your 800DX and here it is. About the inspection & replacement of parts, GTO has nailed it precisely.
For fan belts, most of the times, a close visual inspection is good enough to know it they need replacement. Look for small cracks on the belt.

My foremost concern for your car would be the rubber hoses and the timing belt. And in case the timing belt has not been changed for the last 80K kms now, it's time that you replace the timing belt and the pretensioner assembly. Maruti recommends spark plug change at 20K kms.

The checklist provided by GTO in the above post sums it all. Rest, don't think too much about it. Most other parts will warn you in advance rather than giving up at once.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 18:23   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a lot GTO Sir and Saket for your suggestions. I had infact referred to this very checklist before going to service, but all mechanics said everything is perfect.

Timing belt was changed along with the engine kit as far as I remember.
What I am concerned is the suspension components. How can they last so long, with just periodic bush replacements?? However my car has no unusual sounds from the underbody.
I think it is now time I will get my car looked into by an independent workshop.
I have also planned to make Saket sir drive my car, so that he might point out to some issue.
However, I must state that precautionary measures and timely service with replacement of fluids does save a lot of money and headache in the long run.

Regards
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 10:44   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Shashi,

For suspension, I would say check the arms for corrosion or bends. If the shock absorbers had gone bad, it would have shown in a bouncy ride , noise and even poor handling too. Changing bushes is fine, just check the shape of the arms of the suspension system. They can either corrode & break which can be dangerous on a moving car, or they can bend. I am sure that they must have been changed some time too, but if not, I will strongly suggest a critical inspection.

In fact, I am myself awestruck that how the car has managed 2L+ kms on stock suspension and many other components.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 13:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

That's why I have planned to meet you as fast as possible. The suspension components are absolutely stock and original with no corrosion or speck of rust.
Only when you see the date of manufacture one doesn't believe his eyes.
Regards
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 14:44   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
That's why I have planned to meet you as fast as possible. The suspension components are absolutely stock and original with no corrosion or speck of rust.
Only when you see the date of manufacture one doesn't believe his eyes.
Regards
Shashi
Just let me know in advance. Will be glad to be of any help. However, I would say enjoy the great ownership of the car without worrying too much.

Regards!

Last edited by saket77 : 21st August 2014 at 14:45.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 14:53   #13
BHPian

First of all, that is one well kept car! Also, i will agree with you on cars having life( i do talk my car at times too :P ) i have felt the same connect with my car and that is one reason even one scratch hurts so much.
Old 21st August 2014, 19:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks arch-angel :-)

Other than just talking, I also sometimes hug and pat my car.
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 22:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Buddy at 2.4 lac kms you should be the one telling us how to maintain a car in such top shape for so long.

In the 17 years that i owned my carbie 800 :-) i have replaced 3 alternators, 3 fan belts, 1 complete front suspension overhaul, 2 sets of tyres, over 5 batteries, 1 clutch cable change , 3 times a/c overhaul and also a timing belt change by the time i sold her in january this year with a mere 38K kms on the odo.

Something i have learnt the hard way , if you want to keep the car in top shape one has to use it daily and not let it sit idle for long.Cars have a tons of moving parts which are meant to be moved so i guess as long as you running your car around it's gonna be fine.

I would take a look at rubber hoses and suspension bushes at this time.Rubber would deteriorate with time.For preventive maintenance just do whatever you have been doing so far
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks