Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 14:02   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If it is there from the beginning, did you check for this noise with other Swift's?
Is it present between 1 - 80 KPH or or after crossing any particular speed? What do the MASS fellows say?
I did not got a chance to check with other Swifts since I was not in the country and did not took the delivery of Swift.
Whine is present between 1- 80 KPH. Have not consulted MASS as yet.

Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:18   #197
BHPian

Problem with my Punto 1.4

I had posted this in a dedicated thread asking for help to identify the source of noise ( bearing noise ? while accelerating) and didn't get much :( . FIAT is claiming that the sound is normal which I don't think is the case since the car was silent before I took it to TASS for fixing a car vibration issue during cold starts after second service. Can FIAT punto 1.4 owners alteast tell whether the sound is normal or not. Badly need help here . Even though the mechanic from TASS who worked on my car told the FIAT person that the sound is not normal , the FIAT person denied it

The sound is more once the engine warms up. I don't think its there when the engine is cold
Old 17th September 2010, 03:15   #198
BHPian

Have a problem with my steering. My car has just come back from some servicing & repairs & at the time of delivery i didnt notice this but after coming home & driving a bit on the same day, ive noticed a sound coming from the steering. Will post the problem in the format that has been used on the first page of this thread.

THE SOUND: Dont know how to reproduce it but it sounds like that of a metal rod turning in one place without any lubrication (as if its dry & there is friction against some other metal part) & the sound is very very faint & hardly noticable. You could say its a kind of a "squeaking" or "squealing" sound. Once again, i emphasize, the sound is very faint but audible nonetheless. Can easily be heard at parking speeds without concentrating too much.

WHERE: Steering

WHEN: While the steering is turned (in any direction) (noticed it when moving out of parking and turned the wheel either way from a centered position, after observation i realised its constantly there while turning the wheel at any speed but once the car is moving, its not that noticable as the sound itself is very faint (regardless of the speed))

Please give some insight on the WHAT, URGENCY & FIX aspects of this sound. Have searched but did not find any information.

The steering is working fine & centers itself after a turn & no problems on a full lock on either side.
But i do feel as if the turning & the auto-centering is very very slightly loose (not as accurate, sure & "tight" as it used to be) but then again, it could just be me.

Last edited by Xehaust : 17th September 2010 at 03:18.
Old 16th October 2010, 10:55   #199
BHPian

'Thud' noise in Sumo when shifting from Ist gear

I'll try to follow the problem reporting format used by Xehaust.

My Sumo (originally owned by Trrk) has now run over 1.58L Kms and had engine work done just over a year back at 1.53L Kms. No clutch or gear job was done. First Oil change was done at 2000 kms after the engine job. Next Oil chnage is due at 1.65L Kms. Now I notice this noise.

THE SOUND: Its a 'THUD' sound.

WHERE: Possibly from the Gear Box or clutch assembly.

WHEN: From cold start ONLY. After starting in first gear, at the point when the clutch is depressed in order to shift to second gear. The moment the clutch is depressed I hear this 'THUD'. The intensity of the 'THUD' increases with the engine rev. The same sound is heard in lower intensity when the clutch is depressed to move from second to third gear also. The intensity of this sound gradually fades as the engine heats up and after about 10 mins or so into the drive, the noise completely disappears.

The fact that it happens only from cold start makes it impossible to demo it to the mechanic. I first took the Sumo to its regular local work shop. After listening to my complaint they checked the axle joint near the differential and replaced a spacer there. However the 'THUD' noise didn't go away. Next I took it to the TASS. They did a test drive and declared the vehicle is in as good a condition as any 1996 make Sumo can expect to be. The tone and tenor of their voice broached no reply.

So now my only recourse is to leave the vehicle at the local workshop overnight and try and demo the 'THUD' sound 'live' to them the next morning.

Any idea as to the cause and remedy for this problem?
Old 8th November 2010, 16:36   #200
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
Hi,
I have a 3 month old swift which has done around 2800 km on the odo.

When I switch on the AC and drive, I can notice a distinct whine coming from the engine bay. This whine remains all the time for the duration AC is switched on. This whine increases with speed. However, I cannot notice this whine at speeds greater than 80km/h. When I switch off the AC this whine goes away as well.

I have tried isolating this sound by switching off the ICE, but have been unsuccessful.

This sound has been there since the beginning and I thought that this whining would abate after logging some km.

I am guessing that it cannot be the AC belt since it is running all the time along with the engine? Could this be the sound from the AC clutch/compressor?

Can you please help me in diagnosing this sound? I am planning to take it to a MASS this weekend.

Thanks.
I hope the issue is resovled by now..
But in most certainty, the sound would be from the a/c compressor..

When you run the a/c, there will be a "whining" sound that will persist all along while you run the a/c. And about the sound increasing with speed, I have observed the same with my Zen.

If you have until now, try getting the compressor checked.. And also, the a/c vents; there probably could be some blockage.
Old 8th November 2010, 18:55   #201
Team-BHP Support

Change in engine sound on pressing clutch

At times when I turn the engine on without the clutch pressed, I hear a different sound coming from the engine on pressing the clutch; something like what a tap would sound like when its running.

What does this difference of sound indicate?
Old 10th November 2010, 05:48   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
At times when I turn the engine on without the clutch pressed, I hear a different sound coming from the engine on pressing the clutch; something like what a tap would sound like when its running.

What does this difference of sound indicate?
most probably release bearing gone kaput.
Old 10th November 2010, 12:53   #203
Senior - BHPian

WHERE: Strange sound from Front left suspension (Chevy Spark)

WHEN: When you go over rough patches/small potholes without breaking. Some pat-pat noise from front left suspension. No noise when going over spead breaker (after slowing down).

POSSIBLE CAUSE: Checked lower arm with local mechanic friend, he said it looks fine. He said it may be from steering ball joints.

Any clues?
Old 10th November 2010, 15:49   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
WHERE: Strange sound from Front left suspension (Chevy Spark)

WHEN: When you go over rough patches/small potholes without breaking. Some pat-pat noise from front left suspension. No noise when going over spead breaker (after slowing down).

POSSIBLE CAUSE: Checked lower arm with local mechanic friend, he said it looks fine. He said it may be from steering ball joints.

Any clues?
To begin with, you could check if the bumper hinges at the left are tight and the mud flap is properly fastened (improbable that these could be producing the sound but rule out the simple possibilities first!).

How much has the Spark driven? Probably, the suspension bush could be in for a replacement.
Old 10th November 2010, 16:06   #205
Senior - BHPian

^^

I'll check that. Sparky already done ~18000 KM in 14 months.
Old 4th December 2010, 20:09   #206
BANNED

This happens only when the car hasn't been driven for a few hours. Typically I experience it in the morning when I get my car out of parking. I do a reverse towards the left, come to a stop with the clutch pressed & then put it on first gear, move the steering towards the right & move out.
At the exact point when the car is at a stop after the reverse, there is a high pitched whining sound which goes on for 2 seconds or so. My brakes aren't depressed at this time, but my clutch is fully pressed.
Any idea what's this sound? This has started only the last month or so.

Car is Swift Petrol.
Old 4th December 2010, 21:16   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
This happens only when the car hasn't been driven for a few hours. Typically I experience it in the morning when I get my car out of parking. I do a reverse towards the left, come to a stop with the clutch pressed & then put it on first gear, move the steering towards the right & move out.
At the exact point when the car is at a stop after the reverse, there is a high pitched whining sound which goes on for 2 seconds or so. My brakes aren't depressed at this time, but my clutch is fully pressed.
Any idea what's this sound? This has started only the last month or so.

Car is Swift Petrol.
I think the sound is from the disc brakes.. Happens with my car early morning too..
Old 4th December 2010, 22:20   #208
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I think the sound is from the disc brakes.. Happens with my car early morning too..
What does it mean? Is it ok to ignore it?
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:45   #209
BHPian

Re: What's that sound ??

Whenever I accelerate fast in my petrol swift VXI ABS (2008 model, 19K KMS), I hear a low whining/spining sound which comes from the engine and which increases as I accelerate faster. This noise sounds exactly like the sound produced by a turbocharger.

]My car is regularly serviced at MASS and I don’t have any other problem. During the last service the MASS guys had mentioned that my clutch will need to be changed.

I am facing this problem from the last three months, any idea what could that be?

Last edited by bharatbs : 23rd December 2010 at 12:47.
Old 23rd December 2010, 14:34   #210
Team-BHP Support

Re: What's that sound ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Whenever I accelerate fast in my petrol swift VXI ABS (2008 model, 19K KMS), I hear a low whining/spining sound which comes from the engine and which increases as I accelerate faster. This noise sounds exactly like the sound produced by a turbocharger.

]My car is regularly serviced at MASS and I don’t have any other problem. During the last service the MASS guys had mentioned that my clutch will need to be changed.

I am facing this problem from the last three months, any idea what could that be?
This is because you accelerate too much. For some time, I was pressing the accelerator on my Corsa too hard (pressing it all the way immediately after shifting gears), I could hear a whine from the engine too. Tried to go slow on the acceleration, it stopped.

Try normal acceleration, the noise should go. I don't think the clutch has anything to do with this. And 19k is hardly any km. for a clutch change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What does it mean? Is it ok to ignore it?
Just get it checked the brake discs changed; though I feel it is normal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks