Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2012, 14:21   #421
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat ghungroo like sound from front driver-side wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
At parking speeds only, there is a tink-tink sound like what comes from a ghungroo, from the front driver-side wheel. As soon as I cross about 25kmph, it vanishes. You can't hear it with the windows rolled up, but is pretty audible windows rolled down.
as you had your car inspected and no serious problems were found i think its safe for you to drive around.

please check if something is stuck to your car's tyre.

Ok so does the sound come at a consistent frequency and increase with speed and then disappear after 25 kmph?
if so then its from any of the rotational components like the wheel or drive shaft. you could take a look at the underpinnings of the car at your local car wash that has a car lift.

if the sound is heard when you are going only on uneven surfaces then its the suspension.
Old 13th December 2012, 14:34   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
As silly as it sounds have you checked the tyres? There could be something like a stone or nail stuck in the thread! Its happened to me before!
Pretty sure that's not the case. The sound is continuous unlike what you'd hear if a nail was stuck in one place on the tire. Sounds somewhat like there's something moving along with the tire, metal-on-metal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post

Ok so does the sound come at a consistent frequency and increase with speed and then disappear after 25 kmph?
Sound comes at consistent frequency and increases with speed upto 25kmph and then disappears.

Last edited by hellmet : 13th December 2012 at 14:41.
Old 13th December 2012, 14:55   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Pretty sure that's not the case. The sound is continuous unlike what you'd hear if a nail was stuck in one place on the tire. Sounds somewhat like there's something moving along with the tire, metal-on-metal.

Sound comes at consistent frequency and increases with speed upto 25kmph and then disappears.
Aman, Samir could be right, if a nail or screw is stuck to the tyre you could be hearing the nail hitting the road surface on each rotation.

As i suggested you could ask a Local Mechanic to inspect the underpinnings by hoisting it up a car lift.

A DIY method is to Jackup the side from which you hear the sound in such a way that you can rotate the tyre by hand and try rotating the tyre and listen for any sound.

Please be carful to take necessary precaution while doing so as any nail or screw stuck in the tyre can cause deep cuts in your palm. and as a team bhpian you would know what precautions to take while jacking up the car.

Last edited by msaudf : 13th December 2012 at 14:58.
Old 16th December 2012, 00:04   #424
BHPian

Re: What's that sound ??

Hey Guys !
I drive a 2007 esteem (50 K). Recently i have started to hear a chirpy kind of cyclic noise from front right tire. Kind of metal to metal chirpy noise. The type you hear when you rub the glass. And it's directly proportional to tire rotation. If the speed is low, noise interval is higher, & if it's high then the similar effect. What can it be? Is is something major or just a noise that can be ignored?
Old 16th December 2012, 01:09   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep11787 View Post
Hey Guys !
I drive a 2007 esteem (50 K). Recently i have started to hear a chirpy kind of cyclic noise from front right tire. Kind of metal to metal chirpy noise. The type you hear when you rub the glass. And it's directly proportional to tire rotation. If the speed is low, noise interval is higher, & if it's high then the similar effect.
have you checked your brake pads? there could be something stuck in between the pad and the rotor/disc.

oh and what happens to the noise while braking?
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 09:44   #426
BHPian

Quote:
have you checked your brake pads? there could be something stuck in between the pad and the rotor/disc.

oh and what happens to the noise while braking?
Brakes are fine and apply evenly across. In the mornings, they are a bit screechy for a few mins, else fine. Is it possible that it's the belt noise coming from RHS somehow. Can it be bearings also? There is no reduction in speed also.
Old 16th December 2012, 15:13   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep11787 View Post
Brakes are fine and apply evenly across. In the mornings, they are a bit screechy for a few mins, else fine. Is it possible that it's the belt noise coming from RHS somehow. Can it be bearings also? There is no reduction in speed also.
its less likely to be belt slippage because you will start hearing the noise from the moment the engine is running. bearing mostly produce grinding and booming sounds. i still suspect the brakes, it could be a simple case of brake dust accumulation.
BTW when was the last time you got the brake pads replaced and how about the rear brake shoes?
the best thing to do right now is to give the car a good pressure wash, full water service.

Last edited by msaudf : 16th December 2012 at 15:17. Reason: adding content
Old 16th December 2012, 18:05   #428
BHPian

Quote:
its less likely to be belt slippage because you will start hearing the noise from the moment the engine is running. bearing mostly produce grinding and booming sounds.
I got this from true value at 40k, now its 10k kms old with me. It has been serviced twice. One was a minor one and the last one was a major one. Wheel alignment & balancing is pending. Next weekend i'll go for the same & get the pads & rear drums checked as well. Will keep you posted mate. Thanks !
Old 2nd January 2013, 22:41   #429
Senior - BHPian

Hi all, i have an OHC with 195/55 R15 tyres. I am getting some kat kat type sound when i take turns. Any clue as to what is this? i remember reading some thread for this , but cant find now.
Old 2nd January 2013, 23:12   #430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsatan View Post
Hi all, i have an OHC with 195/55 R15 tyres. I am getting some kat kat type sound when i take turns. Any clue as to what is this? i remember reading some thread for this , but cant find now.
Does this noise increase over uneven terrain?

Might be the ball joints, or worn out boots on the steering assembly.
Old 2nd January 2013, 23:17   #431
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I have posted a question here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3004226

msaudf has suggested a few things which I will try over the weekend, but if any one else has any more ideas or suggestions, that would be great.
Old 2nd January 2013, 23:32   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Does this noise increase over uneven terrain?

Might be the ball joints, or worn out boots on the steering assembly.
Thanks Swarnava. No its there only while turning.
Old 2nd January 2013, 23:58   #433
BHPian

could it be from the drive shafts? description kinda fits for a worn CV joint bearing.

is the frequency if the kat kat noise proportional to speed?
Old 3rd January 2013, 15:31   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf
could it be from the drive shafts? description kinda fits for a worn CV joint bearing.

is the frequency if the kat kat noise proportional to speed?
Its more like a U turn time. So speed s not a thing to consider in this.
Old 13th January 2013, 16:07   #435
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Well, my squeaking noise stopped all of a sudden without me doing anything. I had the squeaking for a few weeks. Now it's not there for a week. I don't know whether to be happy or scared.

Most Viewed