Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2007, 18:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

There is normally a lock kind of thing when the turn is complete & your PS cuts off. (Excuse my non-tech talk). I had a problem with my bolero once. This lock was not functional & the steering would continue to work beyond its turning radius, until it touches something & then the sound will be there until i steer the other way.
Old 4th April 2007, 18:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, the cut off only happens with electrical PS, the hydraulic Ps continues the groaning.

what does siena have?

PS: even i have noticed the same in my car a few times (when it's quiet outside)
Old 9th April 2007, 12:26   #33
BHPian

When I am driving my new WagonR, the front tyre makes a sound like it is scratching against something. Nothing's visible though, how do I check it?
The sound is audible and more pronounced at speeds above 70kmph.
Any suggestion?
Old 26th April 2007, 15:18   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseGuy View Post
When I am driving my new WagonR, the front tyre makes a sound like it is scratching against something.
The sound is audible and more pronounced at speeds above 70kmph.
Is it a grinding / rumbling sort of noise which increases with speed? I'm assuming you've already checked your tyres throughly for any lodged stones/debris.

Try taking the car above 70kmph, shift to neutral and let it coast and listen for the sound. If it is present and decreases as you slow down, then I would suspect a worn wheel bearing. Also is the noise more when you turn slightly?

Put the car on the jack & hold the tyre at the top and bottom and try shaking it to check for play. If there is play - it's the wheel bearing - get it replaced, it's a two-hour job max. Check both front wheels.

Rgds,
Old 3rd May 2007, 16:20   #35
BHPian

Many time, after I return home and the car is parked, just before I turn off the engine, there is a sound... like some motor started by itself ? What does it mean ?

It just starts off when ingine is idlying in neutral... can hear it very clearly when I step out to open the gate.
Old 3rd May 2007, 16:22   #36
Team-BHP Support

Its the Fan, radiator fan. At idle its loud enough to be heard.
Old 12th May 2007, 00:50   #37

Sound from front tyre

I get a cheeee cheeeeee cheeeee noise from my Palio's front left tyre when the car is in motion. If I apply the brakes, even a small tap, the sound goes away and reappears as soon as the brakes are released and the car is accelerated. Can anyone pls tell me the possible problem?
Old 14th May 2007, 11:52   #38
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a new esteem 1k on odo. after my first service, one fine day when I started the car, I heard a screech voice as I cranked the engine. When I raced the engine a bit, it grew louder. All this happened for no more than 3-4 seconds after which the sound disappeared. I again restarted the car and it was there. Left it like that for 10 minutes, and then it has never come after that.

BTW, my car was in neutral when I cranked the engine. It is similar to what i have heard in the old Indicas starting in the morning, and their screeching sound increases as they accelerate.

Havent spoken to dealer about it as yet. Is it normal or something to worry about, considering its a brand new car.

Please advise
Old 25th May 2007, 13:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutdcrap View Post
after my first service, one fine day when I started the car, I heard a screech voice as I cranked the engine. When I raced the engine a bit, it grew louder. All this happened for no more than 3-4 seconds after which the sound disappeared. I again restarted the car and it was there. Left it like that for 10 minutes, and then it has never come after that.
Get the timing belt checked. Looks like it is loose and the timing might be incorrect also. Go to a reputed workshop. This wouldnt take more than an hour to rectify.
Old 19th June 2007, 19:25   #40
Senior - BHPian

i get this weird sound when i accelerate very hard in 1st and 2nd gear. there is a loud thunk sound from under the hood, once i ease on the gas, no probs.
can anyone point to the source of this sound
Old 19th June 2007, 19:57   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
i get this weird sound when i accelerate very hard in 1st and 2nd gear. there is a loud thunk sound from under the hood, once i ease on the gas, no probs.
can anyone point to the source of this sound
check engine and gear mounts and also for exhaust pipe/manifolds touching body
Old 16th August 2007, 13:01   #42
BHPian

Hello guys,

My brother owns a 3 week old Getz Prime GLX that has done around 700 kms and still not due for the first service.

From the past week or so, there is a soft creaking sound from the front left of the car when the gas pedal is pressed at slow speeds. The creaking sound can be heard everytime when the car changes speed due to the increase in acceleration. It sounds as if there is some part that needs some lubrication or grease.

Any ideas what this might be? Please advise.
Old 16th August 2007, 13:15   #43
BHPian

Sound from Siena in cold mornings - advice requested!

Hi guys,

For the past 2 weeks, I am getting a low volume squeal noise (sounds like whistling) which comes from the car engine side. This noise comes only in the morning first drive and does not appear during the other times of the day. It does not come when the engine is idle. Characteristics of the noise are:

1. Noise comes during the complete morning first drive - around 7 minutes. Am not sure if the noise will come if I drive for more time though
2. Noise comes only when the car is in a gear and moving. The noise is like a high pitch whistle (very low volume) when giving throttle above 1500 RPM. Noise dies away like kkaakkkaaaarrrrrr sound when the engine moves from higher RPM to lower RPM when throttle is not given after inducing the noise.
3. Noise comes probably after revving the engine to 1500 RPM and above, when the car is put in gear. Below 1500 RPM, the noise is not audible
4. Pitch and volume of noise seems to be function of the throttle/RPM
5. I am getting this issue only after the 30000 KM service done recently

When I explained this issue to the RAC mechanic, he told me that the issue is because of hardened belt and he lubricated it. I did not get the noise for a couple of days after lubrication, but started getting it again. The mechanic also suggested to replace the belt during the next service, which is around 5 months away. Please let me know if this is safe enough.

Thanks & Regards,
Karthik.
Old 18th October 2007, 16:58   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Hi guys,

The mechanic also suggested to replace the belt during the next service, which is around 5 months away. Please let me know if this is safe enough.

Thanks & Regards,
Karthik.
I think you should have changed it immediately. I know your query is 2 months old but I hope it is changed.
What belt is this? I hope you changed the timing belt at 60 k or 4 years whichever is earlier.

Superavi
Old 19th October 2007, 20:55   #45
BHPian

Hi Guys,

My Esteem is 6 months old now, but it has a ritual of giving a continuous whistling sound under the hood in the first start of the day. I did mention it to the guy who serviced my car at MASS.

But this happens only on first start, and never then. It continues for about 5 seconds and then disappears.

Any solutions?

PS: Even if i take it to MASS it wont screech again since I have already cranked the engine for the day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks