Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2013, 10:37   #436
BHPian

Re: What's that sound ??

Hi,

I want to ask about a couple of sounds. Both are squeaks, but sound slightly different. I wanted to know what can be done to solve these squeaks. Will be going to the service station soon. But want to go in well informed, rather than be fooled there. BTW, the car is a 2002 Maruti 800.

First sound, is a constant squeak from the right side of the car coming from front right tire. It takes time for this sound to creep in and it increases the more I drive the car. It keeps squeaking when i'm accelerating. But usually goes quiet when i brake. I have a feeling this is the disk brake. Please do confirm.

Now coming to the second sound, this one is the other way around. It makes a sound only when I start braking. This sound does not come always nor does it come on any single kind of braking scenario. It just sounds out randomly.

This sound is quite a concern as I have heard a lot of it recently. Its not the usual mouse type of squeak. Rather, its a mixture of a squeak and a scrape. It just feels like something is churning.

To me while driving it feels like its coming from somewhere in the center of the car.

It would be great if someone could help me identify these problems.

Thank you
Old 14th January 2013, 12:35   #437
BHPian

Hi People,

I have a Sx4, Diesel which has clogged about 7,000 kms. While driving in 1st or 2nd gear or whenever i try to upshift, from low RPM to high RPM i get a very peculiar sound, as if some mounting is loose. The sound is like khat...

It seems like when on low RPM the mounting is loose and when i give some acceleration, the sound comes.

I visited MASS, got all the gearbox and nuts tight, still the sound is very much there.

Pls help!!

Thanks

Amit
Old 15th January 2013, 16:28   #438
BHPian

My Santro at 40K makes a buzzing sound when accelerating across all gears.
Also there has been considerable loss of power.

Any inputs for diagnosis are appreciated!
Old 15th January 2013, 16:28   #439
BHPian

I am facing one issue; I have noticed it some time after the last service (not sure if it is immediately after the service or not).

When I accelerate usually to hihger rpms that normal range (do not know the exact rpm as I do not have a tacho in my 2005 Zen), I hear some kind of rattle sound from the engine bay! It sounds as if an empty can of coke having a small pebble inside it and the can is shaking!

What could this be, any issue with Piston rings?

Has anyone else faced this issue?
Old 17th January 2013, 22:07   #440
BHPian

Ok so dear Santro is not aging gracefully, now its a shrieking noise on cold start. The noise is only there sometimes, on occasions its not there but appears on switching on the AC or even the headlights (I am assuming the movement of alternator could be a cause).

The noise always goes away after some time. Any suggestions before I haul it over to the service station ?
Old 18th January 2013, 11:32   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1head View Post
Ok so dear Santro is not aging gracefully, now its a shrieking noise on cold start. The noise is only there sometimes, on occasions its not there but appears on switching on the AC or even the headlights (I am assuming the movement of alternator could be a cause).

The noise always goes away after some time. Any suggestions before I haul it over to the service station ?
Maybe if you can narrow down the noise to the belt or pulley it will be better. One way I did that in a earlier car was to moisturize the belt and note.
Old 29th January 2013, 09:19   #442
BHPian

I have been hearing the hissing sound of the fuel pump from my 5 month, 7K kms old Sx4 Zdi.

This is not the first time i am hearing this sound from my DDiS engine, a few searches on t-bhp & other forums pointed that this sound is normal from all MJD's, but the sound that i hear is a continuous sound that keeps on coming after a smallish drive of about 5 Km's. Of-course there is the initial warming up sound of the fuel pump too for about a second, but the continuous running sound is what has got me worried.

I had earlier too encountered this sound (at about 1500 KM mark) took it promptly to the Maruti Service Station "Motorcraft" in Noida, and they said that this sound is not normal and changed the fuel pump without any arguments whatsoever. Upon changing the pump, did not encounter the sound for a while before it reared its head again about a week ago.

The sound dies down to a very low but still audible one once i fill up the tank, and increases slowly but surely increases as the fuel tank heads towards the half-way mark.

Experts, please help out on this !!
Old 18th February 2013, 12:52   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

What Sound? Kind of gut-gut or knocking sound.
Where? I felt it was coming from some where near rear LH.
When? Mostly it was happening on uneven roads. Doesn't happen on Speed Breakers. It was not continuous but happened once in a while. Couple of knocks every KM or some time it doesn't happen even after 2-3Kms
Car? Dzire ZDI(Prev Gen)
Kms? 48550

I checked the boot and inside the car for any loose items, made sure that stepney was fixed properly, made sure that the fuel opener was closed properly. But the sound was still coming.

Took it to Bimal(MASS), went for a test drive with the SA and as soon as he heard the sound he said it is coming from the front. Took it back to the Service center and the car was lifted, he checked the under body thoroughly but couldn't find any issues. He also made sure that the tyres are fitted properly. Then he removed the bush/nut from the lower arm of the suspension (both sides) and fitted the same bush/nut again. I was not convinced since all he did was removing and putting back the same bush/nut on the lower arm. We went for another test again and this time the sound has disappeared. I checked with the SA again on what was the cause of this issue and he said may be the bush/nut in the lower arm of the suspension was loose.

I have driven around 100 Kms after this but the sound didn't appear again.

Has any one faced this issue? Just wondering how this action of removing and fitting back the same bush/nut resolved the issue. If it was loose will it not give continuous knocking sound? Is there something else needs to be checked? Please advise.
Old 20th February 2013, 00:30   #444
BHPian

Car: Vista TDI 2009 model
Kms covered: 16000 kms
1)Sound: Grrrrrr Grrrrr
When: During releasing the clutch when starting from standstill. It looked as if the car was lugging or unable to take load while starting. Gave it to service station, returned unattended but the sound had reduced or disappeared.
The sound used to come under load only. I checked it by applying handbrake and releasing the clutch or while taking a sharp turn in parking at start when the engine was cold.
One fineday I myself finally open the bonet and do a visual check and find that the nut locking the intercooler bracket to the car body has fallen off and the intercooler metal bracket is vibrating violently against the body of the car. Put a 12mm nut and tightened it at TASS, noise gone completely.
2)New noise: Takk- Takk intermediately repeats randomly.
Frequency:Anytime it comes last for some seconds and then its gone.
Situation: Sound comes especially when am not accelerating hard and I am driving at speeds below 45 kmph.
Location: Most probably front right wheel but sometimes I feel it comes from back.
My diagnosis: Probably comes from the ball joint because the sound varies if clutch released or little accelerator given. But the sound doesnot come during sharpturns or during a corner it always comes in straight ahead position.
Need to take to TASS.
3) Thunk sound when I brake and come to a halt.
4) Gear clashing sound in 1st gear. Occurs once in a while not always. TASS blames me for not engaging the clutch fully, but slowly I am becoming sure that the clutch is engaged fully when this happens. Gear shift for 1st has become hard also. Either the freeplay of the clutch is less or I am not engaging the clutch fully (which I dont feel the case is).
Old 2nd March 2013, 21:25   #445
BHPian

^^^ Update:
The mechanic went for a test drive and identified that there was a huge humming noise in my car. I used to feel kat-kat noise sometimes but not humming. So we jacked up the car only to realise that there is really a humming noise coming from the Rear right wheel. Although there is no play in the wheel neither it is jammed but certainly the humming noise is there.Mechanic advised me to replace the wheel bearing. I blame that night when I was learning to drive and I had driven my car for 25 kms with the hand brake on!. The wheels were red hot! and it led to the Grease packed bearings to leak the grease out of the bearings. It seems that there is no way these bearings can be again lubricated. So the early failure of bearing at just 17k kms. TASC has given me a estimate of 1400 Rs to replace the bearing which I would be going ahead in the coming day
Old 5th March 2013, 16:53   #446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Ghooooon ghooooon
where : From the front, under bonnet
When: Mid-high revvs, sound is less when AC is on
Problem : AC compressor bearing is toast
Urgency : Get it fixed at the next service
Fix : Replacement of compressor bearings and compressor overhaul. Takes two days sometimes as the compressor is sent to Subros etc., Cost close to 6-8K even in economical cars.

hope this helps (Note : These are from personal expiriences)
Hi I've been getting a similar sound (Ghooooon ghooooon) from my chevrolet spark- usually during climbing inclines, and after taking right turns. This sound was not reproduced at service center Trials with the mechanic. However this comes even when ac compressor is off. Also after topping up ac gas in last service - when ac is on a whining sound comes at Mid- High RPM's when ac compressor is on. Should i get the ac compressor checked or is this some other problem?

So Far, Brakes (front & rear has been checked) also bearings have been inspected- with no problem detected. AC has been serviced in the last service 5 days back (Gas filling was done)

Please guide

Last edited by sudipt123 : 5th March 2013 at 16:58. Reason: spelling
Old 5th March 2013, 17:10   #447
Team-BHP Support

The AC compressor bearing noise will come if the bearing is going bad. Until the bearing fails, you will not feel loss of cooling. Since the pulley is always rotating, this noise will come even when AC is off.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 00:40   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
^^^ Update:
The mechanic went for a test drive and identified that there was a huge humming noise in my car. I used to feel kat-kat noise sometimes but not humming. So we jacked up the car only to realise that there is really a humming noise coming from the Rear right wheel. Although there is no play in the wheel neither it is jammed but certainly the humming noise is there.Mechanic advised me to replace the wheel bearing. I blame that night when I was learning to drive and I had driven my car for 25 kms with the hand brake on!. The wheels were red hot! and it led to the Grease packed bearings to leak the grease out of the bearings. It seems that there is no way these bearings can be again lubricated. So the early failure of bearing at just 17k kms. TASC has given me a estimate of 1400 Rs to replace the bearing which I would be going ahead in the coming day
I changed the Rear Right side wheel bearing today. It costed me 900 rs including labour. I no-more hear the kat kat and humming sound. I had a look at the bearing and the bearing rollers had dislocated and were in a miserable shape. All of this in just 17k kms, thanks to the bearings leaking out grease because I had driven the car 20 kms with the hand brake on

Last edited by amit_purohit20 : 11th March 2013 at 00:55. Reason: Grammatical mistake
Old 11th March 2013, 11:18   #449
Senior - BHPian

What Sound? Squeaky sound that seems to be coming from the steering.

Where? It's coming from the steering.

When? Mostly it was happening on uneven roads.

Car? 2009 Honda City S-AT

Kms? Approx 34500 kms

Any clue what this might be? It's really starting to drive me batty!
Old 11th March 2013, 23:30   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
I am facing one issue; I have noticed it some time after the last service (not sure if it is immediately after the service or not).

When I accelerate usually to hihger rpms that normal range (do not know the exact rpm as I do not have a tacho in my 2005 Zen), I hear some kind of rattle sound from the engine bay! It sounds as if an empty can of coke having a small pebble inside it and the can is shaking!

What could this be, any issue with Piston rings?

Has anyone else faced this issue?
Any updates on this ? Got it rectified ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks