Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2013, 17:51   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What's that sound ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar_gautam View Post

For Sound 1 : Seems like a day's job to get the checks done! Will try to get it done over the weekend & update.

Thanks a lot again!
Yes, it will be a good 3-4 hours job. As self-test, also check the inner side of the wheel arc, which is made of fiber. They tend to become lose and make a sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar_gautam View Post
For Sound 2 : Tires are at the right pressure. I keep them at 30psi. I don't keep anything on the dashboard or even in the nooks under the it!

Should have mentioned the flapping sound is persistent over any kind of road - flat, mild bumps, or major potholes. Though after the first start in the morning, it takes ~5-10 mins of driving for the sound to start. Checked around the web, & found that some posts attribute it to a botched A/C blower cleaning job. The A/C cleaning was done at the 90k service. Again will be getting it checked over the weekend, since the entire dashboard has to be opened & taken apart!!

Thanks a lot again!
Quite right, AC/ blower cleaning jobs is a tedious job. Is the sound metallic in nature? Check steering joints near the pedals too- just to be on the safer side.

Regards,
Saket
Old 8th April 2013, 17:51   #482
BHPian

Car: Volkswagen Jetta
Mileage: 28,000 km
Sound: Ghoon ghoon sound emanating from the rear.
When: Whenever there is load at the back. Like when someone is sitting at the back or when there is something in the boot.

Asked the workshop guys and they say its because of the tyre. But the tyre is in good shape and has no unusual wear on it. The tyre noise has always been on the higher side but this sound is completely different.
Could this be a bearing issue?
Can it have worn out?
Old 8th April 2013, 17:54   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Yes, it will be a good 3-4 hours job. As self-test, also check the inner side of the wheel arc, which is made of fiber. They tend to become lose and make a sound.

Quite right, AC/ blower cleaning jobs is a tedious job. Is the sound metallic in nature? Check steering joints near the pedals too- just to be on the safer side.

Regards,
Saket
1. Self test sounds right up my alley. The sound is metallic, so I doubt its the wheel arc. Though I did check it during washing yesterday - no loose parts there.

2. The sound is non-metallic. More like rubber wings flapping! Will check steering joints too.

Thanks again!
Old 8th April 2013, 18:05   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
When: Whenever there is load at the back. Like when someone is sitting at the back or when there is something in the boot.

Asked the workshop guys and they say its because of the tyre. But the tyre is in good shape and has no unusual wear on it. The tyre noise has always been on the higher side but this sound is completely different.
Can it have worn out?
Apart from tyres, wheel bearing can be the culprit here. Other than the mileage, there are many factors which can lead to premature failure of wheel bearings like water, bad roads, accidents, etc.

@Gautam: Do update us when you get it checked.

Regards,
Saket
Old 9th April 2013, 20:31   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Can it have worn out?
I strongly suspect that something is hitting something, when the rear is loaded. Please do check for it. As if it were bearing noise, it would have been there irrespective of the back being loaded.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 21:54   #486
BHPian

Quote:

Can it have worn out?
I think its the tyre, try to change that wheel with the spare wheel and take a drive to check if the noise exists. The noise could be due to a defective tyre. I had a similar problem with our '03 Camry after we changed its tyres and one of the tyres had some manufacturing defect that did not show up in balancing or visual inspection. We then took a drive after we changed it with our spare and the noise vanished.
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 22:06   #487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Can it have worn out?
Do the touch test. After a drive with the appropriate noise making load touch the hubs and see if the offending wheel is hotter than the rest.
If so, definitely a bearing on the way out.
It sounds to be a bearing only, but not entirely failed as of now.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 13:49   #488
BHPian

@dhanushs Yeah I had the same doubt. A bearing failure should be irrespective of the load.

@msaudf I have tried changing the tyre with the spare wheel but the sound still persists. Will give it another go by moving the front tyres to the rear and vice versa.

@mayankk Just a little load is appropriate noise making load I am gonna do this touch test of the wheel. Maybe it will help to isolate the problem. However if it's a failed bearing why should it only happen when the rear is loaded?

There is one more thing I want to mention here. My car is running on Goodyear Eagle NCT5 tyres. Now I know that these make a lotta noise so could it just be a tyre noise issue?
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2013, 14:12   #489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

There is one more thing I want to mention here. My car is running on Goodyear Eagle NCT5 tyres. Now I know that these make a lotta noise so could it just be a tyre noise issue?
Aha!
Why didn't you say so first thing?

Yeah, that is one noisy tyre. Hardy, but a screamer. But still, if it was just the tyre, you wouldn't have localized sound.
Old 10th April 2013, 17:30   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Aha!
Why didn't you say so first thing?

Yeah, that is one noisy tyre. Hardy, but a screamer. But still, if it was just the tyre, you wouldn't have localized sound.
That's true. Anyways thanks a ton!
Time for the touchy-feely test.
Old 21st April 2013, 18:18   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post

Regards,
Saket
Finally gave the car for checkup. Had to get the bumpers changed(thanks to a cabbie ramming the car from behind, while I was waiting at a red light)

Sound 1. Is actually coming from both front & rear wheels. Suspensions have gone weak according to SA.
Suggested by SA : front suspension complete overhaul, back struts change. Also there's wheel brake drum pipe leakage. Those too need to be changed. Needs to be done in the next service 3-4 months.
Price quoted : 12k for front, 4k for back struts, 5k for brake drum pipe.

Sound 2. Is from a worn out speedo cable. Sadly they didn't have it in stock. They've just greased it, which didnt help in the flapping sound.
Suggested by SA : replacement in next service after 3-4 months. No problem driving till then.
Price quoted : 1k

He also found the entire silencer system to be rusted & having small holes. That too needs to be changed next service - silencer tail pipe, muffler, & some other connecting pipe.
Price quoted : 10k

Does the quote sound right? Or I should look at it getting it done from a non-H.A.S.S. place? Are Hyundai parts even available in open market?
Old 21st May 2013, 20:53   #492
BHPian

Car : VW Polo
Mileage : 20500
Severity of Sound : very mild
When : A mild squeeky sound from front left area. Not every time when the car hits a pot hole the sound is coming, it is heard when the engine rpm is between 1600-1900 (I suspect some resonance is happening at that rpm vibration, at that rpm even if i go over a mild broken tar road the sound is heard). At 2200+ rpm and when vehicle moving over a bad tarmac, the sound is almost not there, ie, the sound is not there at higher speeds. Initially suspected it to be coming from front left suspension, but kind of sure that it's not from there. Some time back a plastic cup over the upper suspension mount area was loose and hence checked it - found ok. Can't really figure out whether the squeeky sound is from the door hinges. Checked for any loose parts, but could find nothing.
Anyone who faced such an issue ? Or any suggestion for identifying the sound source .

I'm a bit pessimistic in taking the vehicle to a service center since I'm afraid that they will screw my suspension if they can't diagnose the issue properly.
Old 22nd May 2013, 13:04   #493
AVR
BHPian

Car: Honda City MT
Mileage: 2500
Sound first occurred : ~1200 Kms
Frequency of sound occurring: Random (3-4 times so far)
Kind of sound: Like driving over a Rumble Strip as in the US Freeways. No patterns found in occurrence. Happened on highways and city roads. Goes away once you stop to check

And no. I wasn't driving over a rumble strip when it happened

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Adi
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:12   #494
BHPian

Update : confirmed it's not from the suspension. Same sound found to be there even when the car is not moving. Applied hand brake and in first gear slowly engaged the clutch - as the vehicle started trying to move the car, the same sound started coming. The sound seems to come from the area behind the dash storage box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
Car : VW Polo
Mileage : 20500
Severity of Sound : very mild
When : A mild squeeky sound from front left area. Not every time when the car hits a pot hole the sound is coming, it is heard when the engine rpm is between 1600-1900 (I suspect some resonance is happening at that rpm vibration, at that rpm even if i go over a mild broken tar road the sound is heard). At 2200+ rpm and when vehicle moving over a bad tarmac, the sound is almost not there, ie, the sound is not there at higher speeds. Initially suspected it to be coming from front left suspension, but kind of sure that it's not from there. Some time back a plastic cup over the upper suspension mount area was loose and hence checked it - found ok. Can't really figure out whether the squeeky sound is from the door hinges. Checked for any loose parts, but could find nothing.
Anyone who faced such an issue ? Or any suggestion for identifying the sound source .

I'm a bit pessimistic in taking the vehicle to a service center since I'm afraid that they will screw my suspension if they can't diagnose the issue properly.
Old 12th June 2013, 17:19   #495
BHPian

Finally identified the sound. I tried to vibrate the car by applying brakes and releasing just the clutch alone and asked my friend to inspect the engine bay area. When he kept his hand over the air filter the noise disappeared. Sigh, at least we found out the source though I couldn't exactly figure out what was loose. So took the vehicle to service center and told directly the service engineer that there is some squeaking noise coming from the air filter (mount). He opened the bonnet and as soon as he saw the filter he said - "ha, this is the one that's producing the noise" and he went to call the mechanic. I was still wondering what he saw just by opening the engine hood.

The reason : Yes, I was so stupid not to notice this!!!! . The whole ECU unit came out of the clamp and was stuck behind the air filter !! (where the arrow is pointed).

What's that sound?-vw_polo_engine-bay.jpg

Image Source: GTO's Volkswagen Polo : Test Drive & Review

The mechanic just took the ECU and plugged it back to the holder - yes, JUST PLUGGED it back, it doesn't have any screw/bolt to hold it in place. As per him it must have come out during a heavy pot hole hit or bump!

I still don't understand how on earth i missed the ECU position, every time i open the hood i keep starring at the DELPHI ECU who is responsible for the entire vehicle functioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajusherief View Post
Update : confirmed it's not from the suspension. Same sound found to be there even when the car is not moving. Applied hand brake and in first gear slowly engaged the clutch - as the vehicle started trying to move the car, the same sound started coming. The sound seems to come from the area behind the dash storage box.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks