Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2014, 14:00   #556

Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Get the rear wheels checked first, sounds like a sticky rear pads. Usually happens to cars that are washed daily and not run much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Or is it a grinding noise? Looks like the rear wheel brakes are having an issue. Do let us know the kind of sound it is.
Thanks to both of you. My Car is in workshop for overheating issue. Will ask them to check the rear pads.

It's not grinding noise ... but THUD sound.

How much it costs to fix rear pads?
Old 5th June 2014, 14:50   #557
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman1980 View Post
How much it costs to fix rear pads?
Depends on the problem and what car it is. If the pivots and clipping points are not moving freely then I suppose that lubricating them will solve the problem. Will not cost much obviously other than labour cost. But if the wheel cylinder has failed (which modulates the pads) then changing it is the only option. Cost of wheel cylinder is approx 300-500 bucks each, again depending on the car. A visual inspection will make it clear.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 5th June 2014 at 14:52.
Old 8th June 2014, 22:10   #558
BHPian

Hi guys,
I am facing a different issue since last few weeks. I have a 2012 linea diesel. When ever I am one gear down than required. Say I am expecting a breaking situation or say I am climbing down a slope and I am at 35-40 and I shift to second gear as I have started applying breaks. Or I am trying to come in 2 nd gear after a free roll at 35 over a slope. I hear a good thud sound from rear wheels. Before a month or so that was not the case.

Is it normal, or I just started noticing it few weeks back and the noise should have been there since beginning. But I know my driving and am sure this started few weeks back. Please help me understand.

As a technical explanation I an understand that when am at higher speed than the gear I choose car tries to pull.
Old 9th June 2014, 12:33   #559
BHPian

I hear as if diesel is sloshing in the tank when accelerating, braking or going over a hump. I understand the shock absorber makes a hissing kind of sound while going over a hump, but this fuel sloshing sound from the tank is new to me in my four years of driving the Swift. Has anybody experienced this?
Old 9th June 2014, 15:10   #560
BHPian

Hi Friends

I was passed on a Honda City ZX, Gxi (2006) model with CNG from my brother in law, driven for about 55500 kms to be precise. As soon as I got the car, sent it across to A M Motors Borivali (aligned with 3 M, Borivali) to do the necessary painting, denting, engine shield and anti rust. Wont mention the cost, cos I feel I paid a bomb and still feel there are a few issues with the job!

Thereafter went to Shetty Motors and got new wipers, new garnish window strips and new tail lights; these cost me about 10k in all

Got it over the weekend and drove for about 50 kms in all. On Saturday night after driving for about 5 kms I switched on to "GAS" mode, drove a few mtrs and then I heard a 'THUD' sound, I guess the car dropped power but thereafter it was fine.

This thing occurred again last night, same thud after switching to gas mode; or maybe that is what I have observed. Just started driving this car, so may not be aware if it has to do with CNG switch from Fuel mode or something else.

Please let me know if I should look into this with some expert and ideally any recommendations too. With kids and wife around, I would not like to scare anyone of them and more importantly any stalling in the middle of nowhere :(

Its like driving a new car and the excitement may just get the better of me, would like to check all facts prior to heading for a long drive
Old 9th June 2014, 23:27   #561
BHPian

Dear Friends,
I own i10 1.2 Kappa (petrol), 25K in ODO. Recently went to Yercaud hill station which is 220 Kms from Bangalore. During uphill drive, in 2nd gear, while pressing accelerator, I heard some noise (like bearing friction sound). This sound was repeating whenever I pressed accelerator during uphill. However, same sound was not repeating either during down hill drive or flat road drive. Any idea, what is the reason? my next service is 3 months away.
Old 11th June 2014, 22:16   #562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Get the rear wheels checked first, sounds like a sticky rear pads. Usually happens to cars that are washed daily and not run much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Or is it a grinding noise? Looks like the rear wheel brakes are having an issue. Do let us know the kind of sound it is.
The workshop checked the brake sound issue & says "the sound is normal, due to friction in break pads ... it happens with all cars on slopes."

Does it happen with all cars while releasing brakes on slope ?

Or is it that they are just fooling me (* As the car is under comprehensive warranty).
Old 12th June 2014, 10:05   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman1980 View Post
The workshop checked the brake sound issue & says "the sound is normal, due to friction in break pads ... it happens with all cars on slopes."

Does it happen with all cars while releasing brakes on slope ?

Or is it that they are just fooling me (* As the car is under comprehensive warranty).
If you feel like your service engineer is fooling you take a test drive in their test drive vehicle and check if the same noise arises in that car too..

A thud noise while releasing brakes is usually caused by sticky brake liners/pads. A good cleaning will usually solve the issue, also ask them to check the brake wheel/slave cylinders.
Old 12th June 2014, 10:14   #564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks2010 View Post
I hear as if diesel is sloshing in the tank when accelerating, braking or going over a hump. I understand the shock absorber makes a hissing kind of sound while going over a hump, but this fuel sloshing sound from the tank is new to me in my four years of driving the Swift. Has anybody experienced this?
Either your engine is extra quiet or your hearing has improved.

Did you hear the sloshing sounds while driving with the windows closed or open? if closed I suspect you have a bottle of water or some liquid under the seat.
Old 14th June 2014, 01:12   #565
BHPian

This may be slightly different from what is normally posted here but here goes. The Struts of the Hatch of my Vista TDi had failed. Bought a Pair from the TATA dealer here and set off to fit the struts myself. A straight BOBO( Bolt off Bolt on) job. Done in about 15 mts. Was Mighty pleased with my handiwork. Testing time.

I opened the hatch and 'PPRRRAAAWWWWW'. I cringed! My neighbors were pretty sure that an elephant had invaded the quiet neighborhood.

I thought that since the struts were new this trumpeting would diminish in time. No luck. Every time i open the hatch I always feel that some tusker is going to charge around the corner to answer the call of my Vista Trunker. Its been over 7 months now and those strut rods have been to lathered with WD40 to no avail. Too lazy to go to the TATA dealer for this as this is AFAIK the worst dealer on this coast. I am sure they would take at least 3-4 hours to try and fix this. No time for their medicine man cures. Has anybody else faced this problem?
Old 24th June 2014, 16:52   #566
BHPian

There is a whining noise in my friend's alto but only when accelerating above 60kph in 5th gear. The noise disappears when you take your foot off the accelerator. There is no noise at all in any other gear or when coasting in neutral with the clutch depressed. any ideas? I initially suspected a bad wheel bearing but a bad wheel bearing would sound the same irrespective of the gear selected and there is no noise in 4th gear.
Old 26th June 2014, 20:42   #567
BHPian

On googling around I found from a lot of sources that low gear oil level would cause problems with 5th gear(apparently 5th gear is the first to be affected by low/depleting oil level). Checked the car though but found no traces of any leakage. we will get the gear oil levels checked tomorrow just in case. Has anyone ever dealt with a whine/whistle specific only to 5th gear?
Old 26th June 2014, 21:40   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
On googling around I found from a lot of sources that low gear oil level would cause problems with 5th gear(apparently 5th gear is the first to be affected by low/depleting oil level). Checked the car though but found no traces of any leakage. we will get the gear oil levels checked tomorrow just in case. Has anyone ever dealt with a whine/whistle specific only to 5th gear?

To my knowledge/experience the difference between sufficient oil and too little oil is pretty digital. Either there is sufficient oil for lubrication and cooling or there isn't and the effects are pretty immediate and severe. Quality of oil can take effect over a (very) long period of time.

I wouldn't know why 5th gear would be affected first. I'm thinking about torque, power output and relative low revolutions compared to the other gears. I.e at relative low rpm they need to transmit a relative high torque, so that would make lubrication, relatively more difficult. But I refer to my earlier point. Too little oil becomes catastrophic pretty quickly. Its more or less all or nothing.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 21:53   #569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohooper View Post
I opened the hatch and 'PPRRRAAAWWWWW'. I cringed! My neighbors were pretty sure that an elephant had invaded the quiet neighborhood.
Touch to see which part vibrates in sync with the noise. You need proper alignment of the struts to make them sit flush with the boot door. See if the struts are aligned correctly and not tilted/crooked due to over tightening. Also, check their movement from the inside to notice which part is getting stressed and making this noise. The same mis-alignment might cause excessive pressure on the boot door hinge and cause it to creak.
Old 26th June 2014, 22:14   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Touch to see which part vibrates in sync with the noise. You need proper alignment of the struts to make them sit flush with the boot door. See if the struts are aligned correctly and not tilted/crooked due to over tightening. Also, check their movement from the inside to notice which part is getting stressed and making this noise. The same mis-alignment might cause excessive pressure on the boot door hinge and cause it to creak.
Thanks Buddy, I did check it with your method, narrowed it down to the left Hand strut. The problem seems to be with the Piston/shaft that rubs on the seal. A dash of WD40 seems to work for about 48hours but the noise seems to creep in at the 46th hour and by the 48th hour it is in full trumpet blast. I did take it to the dealer finally about 2 days ago. The s'trained' engineers recommend changing the struts. So there you go. Lets see if this elephant disappears into the woods then... if you know catch my drift.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks