Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2014, 19:58   #586
BHPian

Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Well, that's a tricky one now. What are you going to do. Turn the radio up and hope for the best?

So you'd think they would like to earn some money doing the repair. So maybe its a genuine advise that it is not necessary. But then, guess who will be picking up the tap if your gear box does fail! Did any offer an explanation on what might be causing the noise?

On this sort of stuff, I would really have to know the person in question to follow through on advise like that. I have a couple of friends who own workshops back in my home country and if I hear a noise and they explain me what it is and not to worry, that would be alright. Initially, but I would probably still try to get of the noise.

Good luck and lots of wisdom on your next move.

Jeroen
We finally got the problem attended. Took the car to MASS, they opened the side cover to the transmission casing to access the 5th gear assembly. Following parts were changed as slight damage was observed on the 5th gear cogs.
1)input shaft 5th gear
2)counter shaft 5th gear
3)gear oil
The repairs cost about 4500 in total and the car's running fine now. But I'm still not sure what could have caused this in just 37000 kms.

Last edited by bullrun87 : 11th August 2014 at 20:01.
Old 12th August 2014, 13:00   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
Either your engine is extra quiet or your hearing has improved.

Did you hear the sloshing sounds while driving with the windows closed or open? if closed I suspect you have a bottle of water or some liquid under the seat.

Finally went to MASS today. Its neither the engine nor my hearing. It was water logged in the running board!
aks2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 13:27   #588
Senior - BHPian

My Dzire VDI, around 13k kms on the ODO. Whenever I go over some adulations or uneven road, there is a lot of 'ghad ghad' kind of noise. The same noise is not present when I take the speed breakers or when I drive on smoother roads. Is there something with the suspensions that need to be checked? Initially I thought the engine mounts were not torqued properly, but that was checked in the last service.
dass is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2014, 13:31   #589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
My Dzire VDI, around 13k kms on the ODO. Whenever I go over some adulations or uneven road, there is a lot of 'ghad ghad' kind of noise. The same noise is not present when I take the speed breakers or when I drive on smoother roads. Is there something with the suspensions that need to be checked? Initially I thought the engine mounts were not torqued properly, but that was checked in the last service.
Check cold air pressure. High air pressure makes wheels bounce a little too much & make similar sounds as you stated.
Old 18th August 2014, 11:53   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagzrk View Post
Car: Tata Nano LX July 2012, Kms done: 25K

There's a groaning noise from the engine when engine braking. In any gear, if I try to use engine braking (without using the clutch), I get a loud groaning noise basically like the engine is growling. Noise doesn't appear when clutch is depressed, but only on engine braking.

In a car that is already so noisy, this sound is more of an embarrassment.

Note: Car was involved in accident three months ago where driver lost control and crashed in to divider (driven by sister). Lower arms and suspension was changed. So was the oil sump and some other parts. Mostly covered in insurance. No injuries to passengers. Everyone wore seat-belts, speed was around 40.

Additional Note: Pandit Auto, Bavdhan was the assigned workshop. STAY AWAY. Pathetic job, and charging point is missing. They stole it and deny this. Also they took one month for working when there was nothing major.
Would be really nice if anyone who knows about this issue can oblige or if anyone re-directed to a thread where this issue has been already covered. I am not finding any such thread or maybe not using proper search terms.
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:29   #591
BHPian

Well, there were no replies to my query. But, posting for others if it may help.

Increased NVH and groaning during engine braking mostly points to faulty / cracked / loose engine, sub-frame or gearbox mounts. In my case, some of the mounts were actually cracked. Replaced them, and the vehicle is back to its original form.
jagzrk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 13:33   #592
BHPian

Sound - tik tik tik repetitive sound - Slow at slow speeds, keeps growing as the speed increases
From - Right side tyre/underbody
Car - New I20 (about 300 kms on the ODO) - started with 100 kms on the odo
My guess - Given that the sound increases with increase in speed, I assumed it must be something stuck to the tyres. Can't see anything though - tried peering underbody - nothing seems amiss (I'm no pro though at this).

I've been rolling up the windows and ignoring it for last 100 odd kms, but planning to go on a long trip soon - so needed some advice if this is serious enough to get a check done at the Service center. I was planning to get it checked anyways at first service due next month - after doing the long trip.
Old 18th September 2014, 14:22   #593
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smukherjee View Post
Sound - tik tik tik repetitive sound - Slow at slow speeds, keeps growing as the speed increases
From - Right side tyre/underbody
First check for any stones stuck on the thread, if not look at the inner wall of the tyre and see if there is anything stuck or touching. Last bit you can check is the rear drum unit. If something is misaligned.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 19:27   #594
BHPian

Chevy Cruze Start up Noise

Hi All,

I own a 2011 Chevy Cruze LT driven for approx 32000+ kms and I am off late hearing a funny noise when starting the engine, it basically sounds like "plonk" or say a fall of a steel plate kind of noise.

I had spoken to the A.S.S(Orange Auto, Sanathnagar) service engineer during my recent service and was told that it was due to a weak battery, I then went and got the battery checked at an Exide dealer and he said the output while cranking the engine is not more than 10.V and I need to change the battery, this would be my third battery if I go ahead with a battery replacement. He stated that it is unfortunate with the Cruze and batteries last not more than 2 years.

Out of curiosity and doubt I went for a general check up at another A.S.S(Kun, Hafeezpet), here I received two different responses, the workshop manager says the noise is because of the load on the clutch flywheel and not the battery and changing the flywheel will solve the issue and it would cost me 33000/- and that cost may go up to 70000/- depending on the plates condition he also said the battery has become weak due to additional accessories I have installed, another service engineer of the same center who rather looked very young said the noise is due to a weak battery and should be solved with a battery change.

Need you to help me understanding few basics
  1. How is the clutch flywheel connected to a weak battery?
  2. Is this a known issue with the Cruze in regards to batteries dying so quickly?
  3. I have installed Skoda horns, upgraded the headlights to 110/90 with a cut out and two additional rear speakers, would these additions drain out my battery within two years?

Need Advise

Cheers
Old 27th September 2014, 22:39   #595
BHPian

Re: Chevy Cruze Start up Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Torque View Post
Hi All,

I own a 2011 Chevy Cruze LT driven for approx 32000+ kms and I am off late hearing a funny noise when starting the engine, it basically sounds like "plonk" or say a fall of a steel plate kind of noise.

I had spoken to the A.S.S(Orange Auto, Sanathnagar) service engineer during my recent service and was told that it was due to a weak battery, I then went and got the battery checked at an Exide dealer and he said the output while cranking the engine is not more than 10.V and I need to change the battery, this would be my third battery if I go ahead with a battery replacement. He stated that it is unfortunate with the Cruze and batteries last not more than 2 years.

Out of curiosity and doubt I went for a general check up at another A.S.S(Kun, Hafeezpet), here I received two different responses, the workshop manager says the noise is because of the load on the clutch flywheel and not the battery and changing the flywheel will solve the issue and it would cost me 33000/- and that cost may go up to 70000/- depending on the plates condition he also said the battery has become weak due to additional accessories I have installed, another service engineer of the same center who rather looked very young said the noise is due to a weak battery and should be solved with a battery change.

Need you to help me understanding few basics
  1. How is the clutch flywheel connected to a weak battery?
  2. Is this a known issue with the Cruze in regards to batteries dying so quickly?
  3. I have installed Skoda horns, upgraded the headlights to 110/90 with a cut out and two additional rear speakers, would these additions drain out my battery within two years?

Need Advise

Cheers
I would suggest the least expensive option. Why don't you get a friends battery and connect or else go to the first workshop who told you the issue will be fixed with battery change and ask them to fit it in front of you and show. Have an agreement from the SA that if the sound is not gone you will not take battery. I would also recommend to go for a 10A higher rating than the stock if you are going for a replacement. This will extend the life a bit at least.

thanks
HCP
HotChillyPepper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 11:10   #596
BHPian

HCP, thank you for your suggestion. I will surely try this to narrow down the problem.
Old 28th September 2014, 13:13   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Torque View Post
Hi All,

Even if the battery is weak, I don't think that will contribute to the noise.
Have you noticed any other symptom besides the noise?
Old 28th September 2014, 15:08   #598
BHPian

Apart from the delay in cranking I don't see or hear any other things.

Is there anything specific I should look for?
Old 28th September 2014, 15:54   #599
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this car AT or MT?
If MT,wow do you start the car? Do you press the clutch when you start the engine?
Old 28th September 2014, 16:48   #600
BHPian

Anand,

My Cruze is an MT and yes I do press the clutch while starting.

Most Viewed