Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 08:13   #646
BHPian

Re: Is My Clutch Bearing Busted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Since I have not heard the sound, I can't exactly tell you what it is. But look at these three areas in the order of how I list them down

1) Caliper Pin ( Needs to be re greased)

2) Stabilizer bar ( Excess play, will need to be changed )

3) Strut Bush ( Needs to be replaced)

Could be either one of them, get the first one checked and if your problem gets solved, forget about the rest 2.
Thanks for your inputs. I got them checked and they were fine according to the SA. Then I took it to another Hyundai Service Center. Turned out my aftermarket door speaker's nut had come loose! He tightened it and the sound went away. Peace of mind
Old 7th January 2015, 11:53   #647
BHPian

Re: What's that sound?

When I engage the clutch in my Grand i10, there is a minor clicking sound when the clutch pedal reaches the end of its travel, and the same sound almost always when I release the pedal, and very frequently while engaging 2nd and releasing the pedal. Can experts please help me identify the cause of this?

My second servicing is due in around 1000Kms so waiting for that to take the car to HASS.

Also, while moving the gear lever from 1st to 2nd and from 3rd to second there is this mild, dull "khat" or "thud" sound which people have told me is normal as it's a sound made by moving parts and is a mechanical sound and not a problem. My brother's new Honda City also makes a similar sound and in fact it's even more pronounced in his car.

It doesn't happen when I hold the gear lever firmly and follow the gated movement very accurately, but happens almost every time I shift gears in a bit of hurry. Please help if there is something that needs to be looked into.

Last edited by Parth46 : 7th January 2015 at 11:55.
Old 8th January 2015, 23:14   #648

2007 Hyundai Verna - Please Help to identify source of noise in car

Hello folks,

I need a favour. Of late, I have been hearing a lot of noise inside the cabin of my 2007 Verna. It's okay when I have the windows down, but if I put them up and turn on the AC, the noise is driving me nuts.

I can't seem to figure out what it is. It seems like a multitude of noises. When I'm driving on good roads, it sounds perfectly normal. When I drive over bumpy roads (which is most of the time in our country), I hear noises from the front of the car. It seems like a combination of tire noise and a problem with my suspension. I changed to a set of JK tires about a year ago. Could the noise be because of the compound becoming harder? I don't know. This is my first car and I'd really like some help.

Is there anyone on the forum that lives in/around Indira Nagar in Bangalore who I can meet? A senior BHP-ian who I can take on a little ride on a bumpy road so that I can get an opinion?

Please help the newbie!
Old 9th January 2015, 00:17   #649
BHPian

Re: 2007 Hyundai Verna - Please Help to identify source of noise in car

Since the car in question is almost 8 years all the sound you're hearing may be the panels/dashboard all of them rattling. Will be good if you can try and localise the sounds you are hearing. You can visit the A.S.S and have them perform a thorough check including suspension components.
Good luck.
Cheers
aswin ajith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 00:27   #650

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin ajith View Post
Since the car in question is almost 8 years all the sound you're hearing may be the panels/dashboard all of them rattling.
It is possible that it could be the internals rattling. I posted to see what the problems could be so that I'm not caught off guard when I take the car to the service center. Good to be informed, no?

Thanks!
Old 9th January 2015, 01:37   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin738 View Post
It's okay when I have the windows down, but if I put them up and turn on the AC, the noise is driving me nuts.
If there is no sound when the windows are down then you don't have a issue with tyre or internals rattling.
Steps you can take to narrow your search for "noise"
1) Drive with no AC/Windows down - done (no noise)
2) Drive with no AC/Windows up - Check
3) Drive with AC/Windows up - Check
4) Drive with AC/Windows down - Check

Now two common possibilities
1) Windows channel/side panel (it wears out over a period of time and rattling starts -power windows are impacted quicker than manual)
2) AC needs to be serviced (something stuck in blower/vent resulting in the noise)
IPathan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 01:39   #652
Senior - BHPian

The definition of the problem is too generic.

Noise
- Is it fan noise
- Is it thudding noise everytime you go over bad roads
- Specially when you say AC is switched on, what is the noise you are hearing. Any audio or video you can upload
- The car has some 750 parts (under estimated) and the noise can be from another 750 awards.

I had noises coming from a loose 1 inch plastic and all i had to do was wack and throw it out.

And there could be coins in your dash that goes into places that can make noises.

It would help if you can post a video or audio file.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 01:52   #653

Hi, I understand that I haven't been very specific with my initial post. Let me try and elaborate. The sound turns up only when I'm on a bad patch of road. That's what led me to believe that it might be a suspension issue.

With regard to the AC bit, that wasn't necessary in my post. What I meant was the noise is more pronounced when my windows are closed. Although I suspect that this is because of the lack of outside noise.

Sorry if I'm not being very helpful. I have to confess that I'm a complete newbie. That's why I was requesting the help of someone senior.
Old 9th January 2015, 02:05   #654
Distinguished - BHPian

This reminds me of that Qantas "pilot reported problems and mechanics fix it" sheet that is folklore.
"something loose in cabin.
Something tightened in cabin"

We need quite a few more details. You need to be moving around in the car, trying to isolate whether the noise is inside, or from out. Is it metallic, clunky, creaky, rattly. If it's a very obvious noise, drowning everything, try and pull an audio.

Also, you probably are one of very few who've shifted TO jk. What were you on before? Don't worry, not blaming your tyres, they're probably not at fault, at least not within a year.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 06:06   #655
BHPian

Benjamin738 - it would definitely help if you test drive when there is less outside noise (3-4am), as VW2010 mentioned it can be something as simple as coins in your dash.
Also you can punch your tyres with your hand and see if the same noise is heard - can be a lose or broken brake caliper/pads (they make metal rattling sound on bad roads)
Old 9th January 2015, 09:39   #656

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The definition of the problem is too generic.

Noise
- Is it fan noise
- Is it thudding noise everytime you go over bad roads
- Specially when you say AC is switched on, what is the noise you are hearing. Any audio or video you can upload
- The car has some 750 parts (under estimated) and the noise can be from another 750 awards.

I had noises coming from a loose 1 inch plastic and all i had to do was wack and throw it out.

And there could be coins in your dash that goes into places that can make noises.

It would help if you can post a video or audio file.
As a practice, I don't keep any loose change/lighters/hair clips from the girlfriend in the door pockets or anywhere. The noise gets to me and after a point that's the only thing I can focus on.

I digress. The noise turns up in the front left of the car only when I go over bad roads. When roads are okay, there's only a minor hum from the tires. That I can deal with. It's this thudding noise that gets me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

We need quite a few more details. You need to be moving around in the car, trying to isolate whether the noise is inside, or from out. Is it metallic, clunky, creaky, rattly. If it's a very obvious noise, drowning everything, try and pull an audio.
I turned up all windows and turned off the music when I drove to office today. The noise is most certainly coming from the left front of the car. I noticed a peculiar thunk from the left front wheel when I went over a speed bump. Like a metal-on-metal thunk followed by a squeak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Also, you probably are one of very few who've shifted TO jk. What were you on before? Don't worry, not blaming your tyres, they're probably not at fault, at least not within a year.
I was on Bridgestones before. The tire center guy pushed the JKs on me, telling me that the compound was harder with sidewall reinforcement and more suited to Indian road conditions. Took his word for it. Should I have not? :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPathan View Post
Benjamin738 -
Also you can punch your tyres with your hand and see if the same noise is heard - can be a lose or broken brake caliper/pads (they make metal rattling sound on bad roads)
Will try in the evening! Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 9th January 2015, 13:01   #657
BHPian

How do you find the ride of the car in bad roads? Ask somebody who is sitting next to you at the front. If it is hard it is time to change suspension. Also it would be great if you describe the noise. Is it in tune with bumps on road, or is it rattle or more continuous noise.
Old 9th January 2015, 13:55   #658
Senior - BHPian

Allow someone else to drive the car and sit in the other three corners and try to locate/ identify the source. Look at seats, door panels, rear parcel shelf, etc for looseness. Also check spare wheel mounts and tools in the boot which can make a lot of noise.
What is the condition of the car and how much had it clocked on the odo. Is it a newly bought one or a used one?

Last edited by rajeev k : 9th January 2015 at 13:58.
Old 9th January 2015, 14:16   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Allow someone else to drive the car and sit in the other three corners and try to locate/ identify the source. Look at seats, door panels, rear parcel shelf, etc for looseness. Also check spare wheel mounts and tools in the boot which can make a lot of noise.
What is the condition of the car and how much had it clocked on the odo. Is it a newly bought one or a used one?
I make it a point to not have loose things lying around in the car. Seat pockets, door panels etc., seem fine. I had them looked at during my last visit to the ASC about a month ago. Nothing loose in the boot either. Spare wheel mount is tight, all my tools and cleaning equipment are either bagged or strapped together.

The car was bought used from a family friend. It had done 24000 when I bought it. It has clocked about 53000 KMs.

The whole purpose of starting this thread was if I could find someone on TBHP in my area so that I could give them my car to drive and diagnose.
Old 12th January 2015, 12:19   #660
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is My Clutch Bearing Busted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
You may need to look at the clutch release bearings which I guess have gone bust.

Anurag
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I think its the normal gearbox noise. Clutch bearing sound comes when you depress the clutch pedal, not when you release it.

Does this sound come only when the car has been cold all day and then you start it ? Does the sound stay even after everything (by everything I mean gearbox oil) has warmed up after some kilometers of drive ?
Ok I have given my car to the VW Service Center and they are pretty sure that it is the clutch release bearing that has gone bust. However, I was in for a rude shock when they informed me that the entire clutch assembly will need to be changed and will cost me around 32k!!

On introspecting the situation, they told me that 32k is the estimate but it can go down to around 20k if the flywheel is ok and not changed and will confirm this by the end of the day today. I still feel this is a too much for a clutch job.

I know that the life of a clutch depends on the driving style but I feel it is a bit early for the clutch to go bust at 41k kms. I was expecting this to happen at around 60k to 80k kms. What do you guys think?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks