Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2015, 14:35   #661
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post

I know that the life of a clutch depends on the driving style but I feel it is a bit early for the clutch to go bust at 41k kms. I was expecting this to happen at around 60k to 80k kms. What do you guys think?
Clutch life depends on the driving style, usage, where the car is used for commute - B2B traffic or highways. B2B traffic takes toll on the clutch so it may go bust at an earlier stage.

In your case what i suggest you to do is get a second opinion from another VW ASC or take it to an FNG - If the car is not under warranty.

32K for the whole clutch change seems steep.
Old 14th January 2015, 15:21   #662
Senior - BHPian

Re: What's that sound?

What Sound? Whistling sound from engine bay.
When? After some driving (more than 15 km) continuous at revs below 2000 RPM. Mostly comes during evening hours when I heads towards home. Issue started in mid last month. Switching AC on or off do not have any impact.
Car? 2008 Swift Petrol, 1.3 Lengine (Prev Gen)
Kms? 90100

Any pointers will help me to get this effectively rectified.
Old 14th January 2015, 16:06   #663
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
When? After some driving (more than 15 km) continuous at revs below 2000 RPM. Mostly comes during evening hours when I heads towards home. Issue started in mid last month. Switching AC on or off do not have any impact.
Is the air filter box secured tightly?
Old 15th January 2015, 10:21   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Car: WagonR(K10)
Kms: 20640.
I too hear similar sound from my 2010 K10B wagonR. Its a 'hissing' like sound coming from the engine bay while at rpms above 2500. The sound can be clearly heard at higher gears or when engine noise is low. Once i reported it to MASS, but they couldn't find the problem.They told me they had checked the vacuum pump and air intake pipe, assuring me everything was fine. But still i can hear that sound sometimes.
But a friend of mine working for MASS told me that a small hissing like sound is heard in all kseries engines. Is it so?
Please help.
Old 15th January 2015, 10:43   #665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyed View Post
Car: WagonR(K10)
Kms: 20640.
I too hear similar sound from my 2010 K10B wagonR. Its a 'hissing' like sound coming from the engine bay while at rpms above 2500. The sound can be clearly heard at higher gears or when engine noise is low. Once i reported it to MASS, but they couldn't find the problem.They told me they had checked the vacuum pump and air intake pipe, assuring me everything was fine. But still i can hear that sound sometimes.
But a friend of mine working for MASS told me that a small hissing like sound is heard in all kseries engines. Is it so?
Please help.
My Alto K10 has 'barely audible' hissing sound but my father's A-star does not have it. May be the sound insulation in A-star is much better. Will check the sound again when I get the chance to drive them.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 14:06   #666
Senior - BHPian

Xylo E8 2009 run 231KKms.
There is continuous sound similar to that of 'crickets' coming from AC Blower (irrespective of AC- On or Off).
What might be the reason behind this? Has the Blower lived its life?
Old 15th January 2015, 14:26   #667
BHPian

I have a six-and-a-half-year old i10 done 60k km.

There's a rattling sound (chuk chuk chuk chuk) from the front left above the wheel. The sound starts only after driving some distance (around 10-15 km), is aggravated on driving over uneven roads and becomes less pronounced on smooth roads.

The sound comes and goes randomly, so it's difficult to consult a mechanic. During last service I was told some screw had come lose and was tightened. This led to the sound dying for a while but it's now back with a vengence. What can it be?

I had the fromt left shocker change some three years back. Could it have worn off so soon again? Driving 100% in city in mostly okay roads.

Last edited by naru : 15th January 2015 at 14:27.
Old 17th January 2015, 12:36   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naru View Post
I have a six-and-a-half-year old i10 done 60k km.

There's a rattling sound (chuk chuk chuk chuk) from the front left above the wheel. The sound starts only after driving some distance (around 10-15 km), is aggravated on driving over uneven roads and becomes less pronounced on smooth roads.

The sound comes and goes randomly, so it's difficult to consult a mechanic. During last service I was told some screw had come lose and was tightened. This led to the sound dying for a while but it's now back with a vengence. What can it be?

I had the fromt left shocker change some three years back. Could it have worn off so soon again? Driving 100% in city in mostly okay roads.
I had a similar 'metal clinking' sound from the front-right side of my wagonR. It had the same symptoms mentioned by you and it happened to be a loose brake caliper. So do give it a check.
blueeyed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 23:29   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Xylo E8 2009 run 231KKms.
There is continuous sound similar to that of 'crickets' coming from AC Blower (irrespective of AC- On or Off).
The culprit behind this sound was dirty Cabin Filter that had the poo of rats. After cleaning it, the sound is gone.

Cleaning of cabin filter was pending since 2-2.5 months.
Old 27th January 2015, 09:35   #670
BHPian

Car: 2010 model WagonR
Odo:22k kms
Sound: rattling(tick-tick) sound from front left side door.
The sound appears to come from the front part of the door.
I opened up the door panel and packed all wires and cables. All motors and sceews inside are tight, but still the sound comes.
Does the A-pillar has anything(wires) inside it to vibrate?
Or will it be the top part of the door(window and its frame) vibrating? If it is, any solution for it?
Old 27th January 2015, 17:36   #671
Senior - BHPian

Re: Is My Clutch Bearing Busted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Ok I have given my car to the VW Service Center and they are pretty sure that it is the clutch release bearing that has gone bust. However, I was in for a rude shock when they informed me that the entire clutch assembly will need to be changed and will cost me around 32k!!

On introspecting the situation, they told me that 32k is the estimate but it can go down to around 20k if the flywheel is ok and not changed and will confirm this by the end of the day today. I still feel this is a too much for a clutch job.

I know that the life of a clutch depends on the driving style but I feel it is a bit early for the clutch to go bust at 41k kms. I was expecting this to happen at around 60k to 80k kms. What do you guys think?
Hi guys. The VW team has diagnosed this to be a busted Deep Groove Ball Bearing which is located in the gear shaft in the gearbox. Apparently this part rarely goes bust and they have admitted that this is a manufacturing defect and will be changed under warranty. The part costs around 4k but the work is tedious which involves opening up the gearbox.
Old 27th January 2015, 23:07   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyed View Post
Car: 2010 model WagonR
Odo:22k kms
Sound: rattling(tick-tick) sound from front left side door.
The sound appears to come from the front part of the door.
I opened up the door panel and packed all wires and cables. All motors and sceews inside are tight, but still the sound comes.
Does the A-pillar has anything(wires) inside it to vibrate?
Or will it be the top part of the door(window and its frame) vibrating? If it is, any solution for it?
Hi there. I have the same problem you have mentioned except that rattle is from the driver door panel.
Car : 2009 Maruti Ritz
Odo : 34.5k

Another observation is that if I place my hand on the door armrest sound goes away. Seems to be coming from near the power window panel.
Old 28th January 2015, 19:24   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswin ajith View Post
Hi there. I have the same problem you have mentioned except that rattle is from the driver door panel.
Car : 2009 Maruti Ritz
Odo : 34.5k

Another observation is that if I place my hand on the door armrest sound goes away. Seems to be coming from near the power window panel.
Did you tried rolling down your windows? Please check it. Mine just vanishes when the windows are rolled down, even partially. Wonder what causes it. And if you find a solution please share it here.
Old 1st February 2015, 18:39   #674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post
When I engage the clutch in my Grand i10, there is a minor clicking sound when the clutch pedal reaches the end of its travel, and the same sound almost always when I release the pedal, and very frequently while engaging 2nd and releasing the pedal. Can experts please help me identify the cause of this?

My second servicing is due in around 1000Kms so waiting for that to take the car to HASS.

Also, while moving the gear lever from 1st to 2nd and from 3rd to second there is this mild, dull "khat" or "thud" sound which people have told me is normal as it's a sound made by moving parts and is a mechanical sound and not a problem. My brother's new Honda City also makes a similar sound and in fact it's even more pronounced in his car.

It doesn't happen when I hold the gear lever firmly and follow the gated movement very accurately, but happens almost every time I shift gears in a bit of hurry. Please help if there is something that needs to be looked into.
Could someone please help me with this query? My second servicing is coming up in a few days and it'll be great if I can figure out whether this needs attention or not?

Thanks a lot in advance.
Cheers
Old 1st February 2015, 22:22   #675
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parth46 View Post

Could someone please help me with this query? My second servicing is coming up in a few days and it'll be great if I can figure out whether this needs attention or not?
Hope you are pressing the clutch pedal to the fullest?

Get the clutch release bearings checked. Looks like they are on the verge of going kaput.

Most Viewed