Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2016, 12:02   #751
BHPian

Re: What's that sound?

From yesterday evening, a guitar string like noise ("ting-3_seconds_gap-ting") was coming from the front passenger side in my EON. The sound could be heard from the moment I turn the key to ignition and remains till the moment the ignition is OFF, and occurs at a particular interval of about 3sec. The sound was limited to the cabin i.e. it wasn't any external noise coming in.

I was planning to take my car to HA$$ tomorrow, but thought of inspecting once myself. After parking my car in office, I kept the key in Ignition ON mode and went to passenger side and found the sound coming from inside the door, below the slot where the power window retracts. I tried pressing down the passenger side power window switch. It didn't respond at first, but the window started rolling down on the second attempt and now when it's shut, the noise is gone. Problem resolved

My guess is that, earlier, the glass didn't snug fit as the rubber beading interfered someway, and the power window motor was active all the way trying to close it. Any other possibilities?

Last edited by gearhead_mait : 14th January 2016 at 12:04.
Old 18th January 2016, 19:55   #752
BHPian

Sound: A roaring(grr-grr) sound from the engine bay when the AC is switched on.
Car: WagonR(k10)

After a recent AC service, i am getting a roaring sound from the engine bay whenever the AC compressor is turned on. The sound can be related to a fan working with faulty bearing. The sound is persistent until the compressor cuts off and it isn't present with just blowers on. Along with the sound, i can feel a little vibration on the gear lever and A-B-C pedal.
What would be the cause? something with the compressor?
Old 1st February 2016, 19:26   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyed View Post
Sound: A roaring(grr-grr) sound from the engine bay when the AC is switched on.
Car: WagonR(k10)

After a recent AC service, i am getting a roaring sound from the engine bay whenever the AC compressor is turned on. The sound can be related to a fan working with faulty bearing. The sound is persistent until the compressor cuts off and it isn't present with just blowers on. Along with the sound, i can feel a little vibration on the gear lever and A-B-C pedal.
What would be the cause? something with the compressor?
The sound was from the AC compressor. I took my car to a nearby AC service centre. The mechanic there inspected the sound and came up with the diagnostic that it was due to low oil level in the compressor. He said that the compressor may have taken some damage by running with low oil for some time and if he services the compressor and replace it's oil, i have a 50-50 chance to get rid of the sound. For this, he quoted a sum of 2800(including gas fill). The other option was to replace the compressor with a new one. I took the chances and went ahead with the first option. And yes! I am happy with the result. The sound has reduced by 90%. Considering the cost of replacing the whole compressor(anywhere between 15k-18k as quoted by him), I am quite satisfied with the result.

Before i took it to him, I had it inspected at my regular MASS( AVG motors, Thiruvalla), where the recent AC service was carried out. They said it was due to the bearing and quoted Rs. 4800 to get it replaced. But the AC service centre guy assured me that the sound is from the compressor itself and not from the bearing. He said that he had serviced quite a few petrol swifts with same compressor sound(due to low oil level), and had successfully rectified the sound in most of them. Considering my previous experiences with the MASS guys, I decided to go ahead with him.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:17   #754
BHPian

Hissing noise in Celerio

Hi,

My Celerio Vxi AMT is 6 months old. I hear a hiss like sound only when driver window is down and when I start moving. It is quite prominent as few bikers have mistakenly warned me that I am losing air from the tyre (which is not the case).

This cannot be heard anywhere else except when driver window is down. With the window up I can't hear a thing.

Have given the car at the service station and waiting for their post-diagnosis call. Meanwhile, wanted to check if anyone has prior experience with this kind of problem.

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th February 2016, 13:01   #755
BHPian

Re: Hissing noise in Celerio

Is this wind noise? check the rubber beeding around the door to see if its come loose at some edge and this is causing wind noise? I doubt it's this as it is something so loud that 2 wheelers passing by point it out to you ! Is it a stuck motor (power window perhaps)? It could also be a stuck windshield washer motor whirring away. It could also be belts around the AC unit, alternator, rubbing against something that's causing the noise and you only hear it when you roll down the window. It could also be radiator fan touching something! It could also be a plastic (polythene) bag stuck under the chassis and rubbing the road/ground when you are moving and its causing that hissing sound.

Sometimes, the wind deflects off the seat belt and causes a wooshing sound at speed, but again, I doubt that it could be something like this as its so loud that others have pointed it out to you! Its hard to say (and folks here can keep guessing) unless you give us more information (or a sample audio / video clip) that demonstrates the issue.
Old 3rd March 2016, 11:09   #756
BHPian

Car: Hyundai Verna 1.5 CRDi VGT ABS 2009
Odo: 84000 Km.

Issue: There is a slight rattle from the engine only at a very specific RPM range of 1700 - 2000 RPM only on half/light throttle in 2nd/3rd gear. It doesn't come upon hard/quick acceleration.

The worst part is, when I went to show it to the SA, it did not come at all! I am unable to find a pattern to it!

Is it possible that it's from the Timing chain or tensioner?

Please note that the engine and transmission are very smooth otherwise and there's no problem whatsoever.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 3rd March 2016 at 11:11.
Old 4th March 2016, 08:30   #757
BANNED

My Car Hyundai Santro LS-1 1999
ODO : 1950000 KM

Last month when i took my car for a short drive noticed some rattle noise from engine/gearbox once clutch released - no noise if i pressed it. I went to ASS - Adviser said need to check clutch parts and gear bearings and need to replace if its gone. I left my car for a week, They replaced all clutch parts and 2 gear bearings and they charged 16K for that(I want my car in perfect condition and clean work. Till now no services done by outsiders). While taking delivery did a test drive, That day it was a heavy traffic so i'm not able to go beyond 40-50 km/hr or to top gear(5th gear).

Till today i was doing inside city so didn't noticed that horrible noise. But today while coming to office i noticed only in top gear getting some play noise once i accelerate beyond 40 km/hr speed (No noises till 4th gear).

Experts please advice. I'm going to take my car to ASS , what are things should be taken care when i talk with Adviser(I want my car in perfect condition as i'll plan sudden short/long trip). My wallet is not that much wealthy to spend another 5k for same problem :(

- Fzracer
Old 4th March 2016, 10:52   #758
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZRACER View Post
My Car Hyundai Santro LS-1 1999
ODO : 1950000 KM

Last month when i took my car for a short drive noticed some rattle noise from engine/gearbox once clutch released - no noise if i pressed it. I went to ASS - Adviser said need to check clutch parts and gear bearings and need to replace if its gone. I left my car for a week, They replaced all clutch parts and 2 gear bearings and they charged 16K for that(I want my car in perfect condition and clean work. Till now no services done by outsiders). While taking delivery did a test drive, That day it was a heavy traffic so i'm not able to go beyond 40-50 km/hr or to top gear(5th gear).

Till today i was doing inside city so didn't noticed that horrible noise. But today while coming to office i noticed only in top gear getting some play noise once i accelerate beyond 40 km/hr speed (No noises till 4th gear).

Experts please advice. I'm going to take my car to ASS , what are things should be taken care when i talk with Adviser(I want my car in perfect condition as i'll plan sudden short/long trip). My wallet is not that much wealthy to spend another 5k for same problem :(

- Fzracer
Typo error ODO : 195000 KM
ASS : Trident Hyundai, Whitefield
FZRACER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 21:25   #759
Senior - BHPian

My Ertiga is at 37K odo now. Last friday I was driving to Kerala and my car started developing some tic tic sound from engine bay at low speeds when driving over uneven road.
Since it was already past midnight and I had a gut feeling that it could be some issues with Suspension which hopefully wont strand me in the middle of road, I continued driving for another 300 km with the sound. Next day shown the car to my service advisor and he promptly diagnosed it as a failed stabilizer end link. Replaced the right side link for Rs 600 and the sound is gone.

Now I hear a different noise from front right wheel while coming back.
When the car is at high speed (say 80 kmph+) and hit a uneven section of the road which makes the suspension travel down significantly; I hear a vibration kind of sound coming from the wheel. Once the suspension is back to normal, sound disappears ! ( which will happen in a second max).

I checked if wheel is touching anywhere on the wheel well, and that is not happening.
Suspension on the stationary vehicle is working fine, no sounds or squeaks.

Any idea what can be the problem?
Old 25th March 2016, 09:19   #760
BHPian

2011 petrol Manza (33k on odo)

krr-krr noise right after the engine starts up (video attached). Seems to be coming from the middle-left side of the engine bay.

Pattern: Always while starting up after 10-12 hours of the car being parked. Irrespective of temperature or whether AC/fan is on/off. Does not happen when trying to start the car after it has been driven around for sometime.

Any pointers?

Last edited by Tanmay K : 25th March 2016 at 09:34.
Old 4th April 2016, 10:29   #761

Random beep sound – Honda City ZX

I drive a Honda City ZX (2006), automatic variant. I have done 1 lakh kilometers without any major issues. Recently I’m facing an issue. Randomly (in a day, once or twice) I get a continuous beep sound which lasts approximately 5 - 6 seconds (refer the attachment). I could not manage to associate the issue with any obvious problems. I noticed that there are some discussions going on the internet but with no solution (try a Google search with keywords like ‘beeping noise while driving honda’). Has anyone faced similar issues? If yes, kindly describe the root cause of the problem and suggest a solution.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Honda-City-Beep-Sound.zip (36.2 KB, 113 views)
Old 4th April 2016, 16:24   #762
Senior - BHPian

Re: Random beep sound – Honda City ZX

Where is the sound from. As far as I know, city ZX doesn't have audio alarms. Have you fitted a security alarm that gives the sound? Or have you changed the audio head unit? I too have a 2008 ZX run over 120k kms.
wildsdi5530 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2016, 07:33   #763
BHPian

I have a 5 month old 6400 km driven Polo GT TSI. Since last evening, I am getting a faint sound inside cabin when the car is moving. It is a faint squeaking sort of sound, like a spring is released, maybe like "chaaaan chaaan".

The sound comes irrespective of road condition - smooth or not. Also, it comes only between 15-60 kmph speed. It does not come at a very low speed on a terrible road or at high speed on a good road. I have tried very hard to determine the area or car from where it is coming but I am not able to figure out. Most likely it is from driver's tyre side. If I roll down the windows, then there is too much ambient noise to hear this sound. The car runs perfectly normal otherwise. I have driven 40 kms with this sound.

I am in Goa for the weekend and have to drive back 600 km to Mumbai two days later. I was wondering wheather I should ignore the noise and consult a VW workshop in Mumbai or check with a local mechanic here in Goa. Any suggestions on a good local car garage in north Goa?
Old 17th April 2016, 09:01   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
...It is a faint squeaking sort of sound, like a spring is released, maybe like "chaaaan chaaan".

The sound comes irrespective of road condition - smooth or not. Also, it comes only between 15-60 kmph speed...?

Check if there are any cuts or anything is stuck to the tyres or the underbelly. Also check if the car is running on the correct tyre pressure.
Sometimes rust/ tar / dirt gets stuck on the disc brake rotors. Get that checked and cleaned.
Old 20th April 2016, 16:45   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manish84 View Post
I have a 5 month old 6400 km driven Polo GT TSI. Since last evening, I am getting a faint sound inside cabin when the car is moving. It is a faint squeaking sort of sound, like a spring is released, maybe like "chaaaan chaaan".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
Check if there are any cuts or anything is stuck to the tyres or the underbelly. Also check if the car is running on the correct tyre pressure.
Sometimes rust/ tar / dirt gets stuck on the disc brake rotors. Get that checked and cleaned.
Got it checked at VW Goa service station. The technician had seen this before and could point out the source of sound in a jiffy. The screws of the front number plates were touching a metallic bar on their pointed ends. He removed the screws and used a double side tape to stick the number plate.
Problem solved in 5 minutes and free of cost.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks