Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2016, 23:59   #811
BHPian

Re: What's that sound?

Hi Auto Gurus,

I have a MS Ritz ZDI 2014 which has done 23k on the odo. It is a no fuss car and I have not had any major issues, apart from few scratches on the bonnet, thanks to the neighbour's cat !

I have a bad stretch of, what is left of a road, and today after I went "sailing " over it, I could hear a faint humming sound from the left front of the car. It happens only at a very specific rpm level and is not depended on the gear. I noticed that the sound comes when the tacho hits 1100 rpm and then it goes away. It does not happen below the 1100 mark as well. The speed during this time hovers around the 30-40 kms range.

I parked the car and put it on neutral and left it idle with rpm below 1000 and there was no sound. Next, press the accelerator and increase the rpm to 1100 rpm and hold it there. The humming sound comes back. I am yet to check if there is anything loose under the hood as it is late in the evening. For an initial analysis that I could take sitting in the driver's seat, I think it is coming from the left wheel bay side. I have not been able to observe this from outside as there is no one around and someone has to press the accelerator to create this humming sound. There are many components in the wheel area and I am worried if something has gone kaput.

My initial thoughts were the bearings or the wheel hub itself but then will a humming sound come up from these parts when the car is in neutral ? If that is not the case, then I think it might open a can of worms. The 20k servicing was done three months back. I need expert advice on what could be a potential cause for this. Once I have that I could approach MASS and get a service called out.

Last edited by ampere : 29th October 2016 at 00:57.
Old 29th October 2016, 06:20   #812
Distinguished - BHPian

Humming from loose component inside the engine bay...too many things from loose coolant bottle to radiator shroud to more serious things. Since it is coming with car at standstill it does rule out transmission and wheels. Curious
Old 29th October 2016, 12:45   #813
BHPian

Car: Ford Classic 1.6 Titanium
Issue: Lately, she has been emitting a whizz-whizz noise for sometime during cold starts. It fades and disappears as the engine warms up and reaches a certain temperature. Depressing the clutch mutes the noise.

I have tried inspecting the engine bay to find anything unusual or suspicious, but my efforts were in vain. Please help. Thanks in advance!
Old 29th October 2016, 13:47   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Issue: Lately, she has been emitting a whizz-whizz noise for sometime during cold starts. It fades and disappears as the engine warms up and reaches a certain temperature. Depressing the clutch mutes the noise.

I have tried inspecting the engine bay to find anything unusual or suspicious, but my efforts were in vain. Please help. Thanks in advance!
I think this is a sign of a weakening starter motor. No need to worry as long as it's cranking properly.
NiXTriX2004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2016, 15:24   #815
BHPian

Today morning I checked the engine bay however did not find anything loose. Took her for a ride around 10 kms but could not make that same humming sound. Nothing in neutral as well. Looks like the "issue" got fixed by itself. I will be keeping an eye for this for some days.
Old 29th October 2016, 15:46   #816
BHPian

Quote:

Clutch release bearing noise possibly. . How much has she clocked.? Check the aux drive belts too, if it does not have enough slack it might make a noise during cold starts.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 29th October 2016 at 15:50.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2016, 00:45   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiXTriX2004 View Post
I think this is a sign of a weakening starter motor. No need to worry as long as it's cranking properly.
Thanks!

I am not too sure about that as the noise actually starts when the engine has already fired up properly. I guess I wasn't too clear earlier. Does this have anything to do with the starter motor? Also, the car is too young for that *not even two years old!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
Clutch release bearing noise possibly. . How much has she clocked.? Check the aux drive belts too, if it does not have enough slack it might make a noise during cold starts.
Thanks!

Do I have something to worry? Is there a way I can check for them myself? There is quite some time left before she goes in for her next service. [She has clocked just over 16.2k kms].

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 30th October 2016 at 00:46. Reason: Typo
Old 1st November 2016, 19:53   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a way I can check for them myself

Neel
Hi Neel,
You can check the drive belts using a flat steel rule or even a long screw driver or with just bare hands(not recommended though). Make sure the you have the ignition off and key removed and the engine is cool.
Place the rule over the top surface of the belt and apply pressure(modest) and see how much you can push it. The permissible values will be mentioned in the user's manual . Slack should be around 1cm. Also check for any sort of cracks or misalignment.
If it is the clutch release bearing noise then it is not quite possible to check it at home.
Regards,
Gokul

PS: Sorry for the late reply brother, exams and assignments are eating up all my time.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 1st November 2016 at 20:02. Reason: Adding info
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 08:14   #819
BHPian

Ertiga ZDI, 2013. Clocked 59,00 Kms.

Since early Jan 2017, I have been observing a strange noise which is something like a metal wire brushing against a tin sheet. "Whoommm Whooomm...". Ignored for the first few days, but looking at its persistence, I decided to debug a little and this was my finding

- 100% happens whenever I freshly start the car. Never happens during the drive
- 100% happens only & exactly at around 18KMPH speed ( Usually 2nd gear ), but it doesnt matter which gear I am in..If the speed is 18KMPH, the noise kicks in.
- The noise comes in two sets. Set-1 ( Whoom, Immediate Whoom, pause of 3 seconds and a final Whoom ).
- Once the noise disappears, it never appears again until I switch off the engine
- Didnt notice anything abnormal w.r.t driving, control, braking. No error lights showed up

Postponed the checkup to Jan 21st, as I wanted to give the car for a early 60k service. I had a long drive planned for the long weekend of the Republic Day. A.S.S was RNS Motors, Amruth Nagar, Bangalore

To my shock, the S.A cornered the problem to the ABS Actuator Pump Assembly ( Thats what he called that part ). He inserted this actuator from another Ertiga ( Taxi which arrived with a kaput engine ) and aksed me to drive. The noise did not appear.

I am covered by extended warranty.

The S.A and his manager say it will take atleast 20 days for Maruthi Gurgaon to do/recommend some more tests and approve a new part and ship it.

Attaching the pictures. The removed module is the one taken out from my car. The inserted module is the one taken from another Ertiga.

Dear Friends, I now have a few questions.

1. A search on the internet, isn't giving any conclusive cause. Some say it's a ABS self-check which kicks in around 10mph. Have anyone else of you seen this problem?

2. Is it OK for me to take my car on the planned trip ?

3. Is there a chance that Maruti might say it's wear and tear and hence warranty doesn't apply ? The car was not abused at all and I am a very sedate driver.

4. Its my only way of commute to office. What precautions should I take until this is resolved? Or do you guys recommend that I dont drive even in City until this is resolved?

Thanks a bunch for your answers. At 30k kms, I had this infamous Ertiga Synchro ring failure, and the next 30k kms, this happens
Attached Thumbnails
What's that sound?-absmine.jpg  

What's that sound?-absother.jpg  

Old 23rd January 2017, 08:40   #820
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajwheelz View Post
To my shock, the S.A cornered the problem to the ABS Actuator Pump Assembly ( Thats what he called that part ). He inserted this actuator from another Ertiga ( Taxi which arrived with a kaput engine ) and aksed me to drive. The noise did not appear.
If he can now use that ABS Module of your Ertiga into another one and then check if the noise is reproduced in another Ertiga, It will certainly confirm that the issue is indeed with the ABS Module.

Peculiar issues like these at time are very very tricky that at times you feel things are resolved when they swap parts and in reality they appear again the moment you head out of the Workshop with an all new part.

Quote:
I am covered by extended warranty.
This part should get covered without much fuss.

Quote:
The S.A and his manager say it will take atleast 20 days for Maruthi Gurgaon to do/recommend some more tests and approve a new part and ship it.
Since this is a rare case of such an occurrence, Maruti officials (The Area/Zone TSM) might ask the ASC to carry out more tests to ascertain and confirm that it is indeed the ABS Module causing this.

I am totally unsure on why an approval has to come from Maruti, Gurgaon as per claims by the ASC. I may be wrong but in my Ertiga I replaced the Steering rack and the Synchronizer Ring under Ext. Warranty right on the same day on different occasions without waiting for any approval. The Sync Ring is now a known issue while the steering rack is not.

If you want to take a second opinion, you can visit another ASC and confirm this.

Quote:
1. A search on the internet, isn't giving any conclusive cause. Some say it's a ABS self-check which kicks in around 10mph. Have anyone else of you seen this problem?
I have never faced this till now after driving for almost 1,15,000 kms now.

Quote:
2. Is it OK for me to take my car on the planned trip ?
Carefully, and Yes. I don't think you are facing issues with braking or brake pedal behaving unusually. That confirms that the braking itself is fine.

Quote:
3. Is there a chance that Maruti might say it's wear and tear and hence warranty doesn't apply ? The car was not abused at all and I am a very sedate driver.
It will certainly get covered under warranty. Don't worry about that as these are not parts like Tires or Brake Pads that they will deny honoring Ext. Warranty for that.

Quote:
4. Its my only way of commute to office. What precautions should I take until this is resolved? Or do you guys recommend that I dont drive even in City until this is resolved?
You could disable the ABS (removing the ABS fuse) and drive around cautiously too.

Last edited by paragsachania : 23rd January 2017 at 08:59.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 09:39   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
If he can now use that ABS Module of your Ertiga into another one and then check if the noise is reproduced in another Ertiga, It will certainly confirm that the issue is indeed with the ABS Module.

Peculiar issues like these at time are very very tricky that at times you feel things are resolved when they swap parts and in reality they appear again the moment you head out of the Workshop with an all new part.

This part should get covered without much fuss.

Since this is a rare case of such an occurrence, Maruti officials (The Area/Zone TSM) might ask the ASC to carry out more tests to ascertain and confirm that it is indeed the ABS Module causing this.

I am totally unsure on why an approval has to come from Maruti, Gurgaon as per claims by the ASC. I may be wrong but in my Ertiga I replaced the Steering rack and the Synchronizer Ring under Ext. Warranty right on the same day on different occasions without waiting for any approval. The Sync Ring is now a known issue while the steering rack is not.

If you want to take a second opinion, you can visit another ASC and confirm this.

I have never faced this till now after driving for almost 1,15,000 kms now.

Carefully, and Yes. I don't think you are facing issues with braking or brake pedal behaving unusually. That confirms that the braking itself is fine.

It will certainly get covered under warranty. Don't worry about that as these are not parts like Tires or Brake Pads that they will deny honoring Ext. Warranty for that.

You could disable the ABS (removing the ABS fuse) and drive around cautiously too.
Thanks for the reply Parag Bhai.

I shall ask the S.A if its possible to insert my ABS module into another healthy Ertiga. Checking with another A.S.C has to be postponed to next week due to my upcoming trip

Regarding the warranty, the workshop manager said all extended warranty approvals come from head office. But after your reply I feel the ASC wants to protect their credibility by establishing the problem before proceeding with the claim. I heard the manager whisper to the SA if its possible to do a audio record by inserting his cellphone under the hood. The SA refused anyway.

If I have to be cautious, I shall drive within city limits to/fro office and for the long trip I will arrange for another car. There would be four 70 year old persons with me and it will cause undue stress for them should anything untoward happen.

Touchwood, but should the module go kaput, what is it that i should expect?

Loss of braking power or total brake failure?
Loss of power steering? Or total steering failure?

And if I disable the ABS module and drive, what gets affected? Hard steering and loss of brake-ability?

Thanks again Parag Bhai.
Old 6th February 2017, 11:21   #822
BHPian

The ABS actuator assembly arrived at last from Gurgaon and I have got it fitted. The noise disappeared and it's close to 100 kms of driving in City conditions. So far so good.

The cost came to 15k and totally covered by ext.warranty. Phew !
Old 6th February 2017, 22:02   #823
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello all,

I own a 17 year old M800 DX 5 Speed and offlate there has been a strange, very muted, but audible whistling/ squealing type of sound coming from somewhere. My SA is on a long holiday because of personal reasons, so I am left alone for the time being to diagnose it.

Some points which might help you all to narrow down to the culprit.
  • Occurs mostly between 10 to 40kmph
  • Happens only at a constant speed; any accelerator or brake input means the noise disappears
  • No particular instance of happening, can happen anytime.
  • If the car is washed, the noise disappears and won't happen for a day or two. Some rubber component may be??
  • If its happening when you are driving straight, any steering input and the noise immediately goes away
  • SA has checked all belts and their tension
  • Sound is something like chui-chui, but continuous.

In a rattle-free and eerily silent cabin, this squeal gets very much pronounced.

Looking forward to your help.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th February 2017, 22:21   #824
Senior - BHPian

Turbo purring sound

Folks, I drive a Octavia Mk1 1.8T which is turbo petrol. Very recently I have started getting a strange noise from teh turbo. As am accelerating, I hear the turbo whistle but the moment I let of the accelerator, I hear a "purr" kind of a noise. The sound is very similar to what you get from waste gate discharge. The turbo is attached to an intercooler too.

I turbo makes a clean whistle sound when its accelerating hence I'm keen to believe its not the culprit. However I do feel there is a very slight drop in power.

Can anyone suggest what could be the reason?
Old 7th February 2017, 16:31   #825
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Sound is something like chui-chui, but continous.
Should be a hardened rubber bush in the suspension or steering system.

Please get it checked.

Regards,
Saket.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks