Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2018, 13:11   #856
Senior - BHPian

Re: What's that sound?

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

I have a 2008 Swift Diesel, after the timing chain job was done, I hear this pecular whinish kind of sound which comes only at 2900 rpm, If I hold the rpm at that speed, it stays and nothing before that and nothing after that.

It shows its face only when the car is in gear and moving, if when the car is in neutral and standing or when in motion and I put it in neutral and hold it at that rpm, nothing happens, that's why its turning out to be difficult to diagnose as when we try to replicate it at the service station it does not come, but when I take the service adviser for a drive, I can replicate it all the time at that rpm in 3rd, 4th and 5th too.

Any pointers?
Old 12th June 2018, 20:29   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Can someone point me in the right direction please?

I have a 2008 Swift Diesel, after the timing chain job was done, I hear this pecular whinish kind of sound which comes only at 2900 rpm, If I hold the rpm at that speed, it stays and nothing before that and nothing after that.

It shows its face only when the car is in gear and moving..

.. I can replicate it all the time at that rpm in 3rd, 4th and 5th too.

Any pointers?
I have something similar with my Jetta. A light vibration at a particular RPM, only when the car is moving and am guessing it might be due to a loose mounting or bracket.

Another line of thinking for your situation. I don't know how complicated it is to do a timing chain job on a swift diesel, but since you are pretty certain it happened after the job, you might want to get the timing chain checked again?
Old 8th July 2018, 23:19   #858
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting here and also in the Polo thread - please delete if this is not allowed mods.

Can anyone help identify the issue that's causing this clunking noise when I turn my steering wheel when stationary or at low speeds?

The car has done 15k km and is two and a half years old and still under warranty. Need to gird my loins as this will be the first unscheduled interaction with the VW dealer.
Old 9th July 2018, 14:29   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Cross posting here and also in the Polo thread - please delete if this is not allowed mods.

Can anyone help identify the issue that's causing this clunking noise when I turn my steering wheel when stationary or at low speeds?

The car has done 15k km and is two and a half years old and still under warranty. Need to gird my loins as this will be the first unscheduled interaction with the VW dealer.
Get the strut mounts checked. Strut mount and bearing.
interc00led is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2018, 15:05   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Get the strut mounts checked. Strut mount and bearing.
VW say they will lubricate the strut mounts for free. Is that the correct solution or does this require a part change? Surprised it happened so early in the car lifecycle
Old 15th August 2018, 15:17   #861

I am driving Grand i10 Crdi from last 4 years. Suddenly from few days there is a whistling sound when I rev above around 1700 rpm and the sound remains till around 2800 rpm. Seems the sound is coming out of turbocharger. What can be the possible reasons for it? Is it due to compressor fan damage? Though I do not feel any kind of turbo lag while driving.

Thanks
Mausam
Old 16th August 2018, 04:19   #862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausamchoudhury View Post
I am driving Grand i10 Crdi from last 4 years. Suddenly from few days there is a whistling sound when I rev above around 1700 rpm and the sound remains till around 2800 rpm. Seems the sound is coming out of turbocharger. What can be the possible reasons for it? Is it due to compressor fan damage? Though I do not feel any kind of turbo lag while driving.
Possible EGR blockage narrowing the passage of hot and high speed airflow?? Try doing a hot high RPM burn for half a kilometre.
Old 16th August 2018, 10:44   #863
Senior - BHPian

During a recent long drive, I put my Fortuner on cruise control mode at around 80 KMPH. I heard a weird phat phat sound continuously at this speed. Something like a Enfield Bullet sound. No sound beyond 90 KMPH or less than 80 KMPH.

I tried same cruise control at 110 KMPH for more than 20 mins. But, it was absolutely fine. Only at 80-90 KMPH speed, I hear this sound.

Request the forum to let me know what could be the issue? The car has done 44000 KMs

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th August 2018 at 11:19. Reason: As per request
Old 16th August 2018, 11:05   #864
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
During a recent long drive, I put my Fortuner on cruise control mode at around 80 KMPH. I heard a weird phat phat sound continuously at this speed. Something like a Enfield Bullet sound. No sound beyond 90 KMPH or less than 80 KMPH.

I tried same cruise control at 110 KMPH for more than 20 mins. But, it was absolutely fine. Only at 80-90 KMPH speed, I hear this sound.

Request the forum to let me know what could be the issue? The car has done 44000 KMs
From which side are you getting the sound? Is the sound accompanied by any vibrations? Do you get this sound at the same speeds (80 - 90 kmph) even without the cruise control?

Last edited by GTO : 17th August 2018 at 09:22. Reason: Quoted post edited
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 11:18   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
From which side are you getting the sound? Is the sound accompanied by any vibrations? Do you get this sound at the same speeds (80 - 90 kmph) even without the cruise control?
Both driver (Self ) and front passenger was able to hear this sound. This was very highly evident and noticeable. No vibrations at all.

Have not checked whether the same sound without Cruise control.
Old 16th August 2018, 12:04   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Both driver (Self ) and front passenger was able to hear this sound. This was very highly evident and noticeable. No vibrations at all.

Have not checked whether the same sound without Cruise control.
Ok, but from where does the sound originate? Does it originate from any of the front wheels? Or any of the rear wheels?

Does the sound get quicker as you increase the speed from 80 to 85 and then to 90?

Most of the time, the sound is from the suspension components or wheel / Tyre. Inspect all the tyres for any bulges or flakes. Get this checked by a competent mechanic.

Sometimes it could be a silly thing. For example, I once noticed a continous krrrr sound from the front in my SX4. The sound was heard all the time on speeds above 60 kmph. Upon close inspection, I found that a part of engine guard (plastic cover beneath the engine) was broken and hanging a little. At speeds faster than 60 kmph, the overhanging broken portion was getting deflected due to the wind pressure and touching the road, thus producing krrrr sound. I just pulled the hanging portion up with hands and made it rest on the body. That eliminated the noise.

So first get it diagnosed. Then post the diagnosis (and estimate of expenses given by the mechanic) here with the recording of the sound. We fellow members will be able to comment whether it makes sense it not.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 16th August 2018 at 12:07.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2018, 13:20   #867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most of the time, the sound is from the suspension components or wheel / Tyre. Inspect all the tyres for any bulges or flakes. Get this checked by a competent mechanic.
Thanks Rahul. Will check as suggested. Just to clarify the point in quote, The tires have been changed to Michelin tires at 43000 Kms. They are just new tires with 1K run.

Will check for other points and revert back shortly
Old 16th August 2018, 15:50   #868
BHPian

In my Fluidic Verna, I have lately been noticing a sound when I start moving my car from parked position. I also observe this sound when I release the brake pedal, say when starting to move after a red light. This is pretty consistent, and the sound appears to be coming from under the floor. Any ideas ?
Old 17th August 2018, 11:04   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
In my Fluidic Verna, I have lately been noticing a sound when I start moving my car from parked position. I also observe this sound when I release the brake pedal, say when starting to move after a red light. This is pretty consistent, and the sound appears to be coming from under the floor. Any ideas ?
Hi.
Does your Verna have a manual transmission or an automatic? What is the age of the car and odometer reading?

This noise could be from the power train or from the suspension. Can you record the noise (in a silent surrounding) and upload? Or at least describe the noise? Also try to trace the location of the noise, whether it is from the front or rear, left or right.
Old 17th August 2018, 11:53   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Hi.
Does your Verna have a manual transmission or an automatic? What is the age of the car and odometer reading?

This noise could be from the power train or from the suspension. Can you record the noise (in a silent surrounding) and upload? Or at least describe the noise? Also try to trace the location of the noise, whether it is from the front or rear, left or right.
It's an automatic, and 4 year old now with 34k on the odometer. The noise is like a grunt to say the best. It appears to be coming from rear, hard to tell if it's left or right though. I'll try to observe more carefully and even try to record it, if possible.

Most Viewed