Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2018, 12:04   #871
Senior - BHPian

Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
It's an automatic, and 4 year old now with 34k on the odometer. The noise is like a grunt to say the best. It appears to be coming from rear, hard to tell if it's left or right though. I'll try to observe more carefully and even try to record it, if possible.
Ok. Grunt from the rear while starting from the rest may be from the suspension. Just see how the noise varies when you take-off very gradually and when you take of quickly.

Do you notice the similar sound while coming to halt?

Also when the car is stationary, press the rear end and make it bounce up and down a few times. See if you hear the sound.
Old 11th September 2018, 18:40   #872
Senior - BHPian

Squealing or squeaking of brakes once in a while, specially after passing through water or being parked in rain has been a common occurrence in many cars in my circle. This time the squeal came after the car was parked in scorching sunlight for around two hours and then driven for around 120 kms in the same weather.

I would have ignored the squeal had it not been followed by a metal to metal rubbing sound every time I braked. Since I was just two km away from home, I drove carefully and parked the car. Both the sounds disappeared next morning; and have not returned since.

The new brake pads have been in use for around 5,000km since the last 9 months. The car is 55,000 km run.

What could be the issue here?
Old 12th September 2018, 09:14   #873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I would have ignored the squeal had it not been followed by a metal to metal rubbing sound every time I braked. Since I was just two km away from home, I drove carefully and parked the car. Both the sounds disappeared next morning; and have not returned since.

Same thing happened to me in my santro few months back. The brake pads were as new as 10,000 Kms. Suddently some screeching sound and then, some times, there used to be a feeling that someone is holding back the moving car without applying the brakes. This used to happen at low speeds. Also, some kat kat sound from left side rear wheel. I drove for more than 10 kms to reach home without opening the wheel.

When I opened the drum of the suspected wheel, to my surprise, one of the brakeshoe pad (To be precise, the black compound stuck to the metal)was completely detached from the metal. This used to get stuck in between drum and metal in some odd position and hence kat kat sound.

So, I had to replace the brake pad set to new one and drum shimming.

My suggestion would be to
1. Stop moving the car from immediate effect to avoid Drum replacement
2. You can check yourself the condition of brake pad and drum without the help of mechanic
3. If there is an issue similar to mine, then you can approach mechanic for repair / replacement of drum. I would not suggest to replace the drum yourself since it requires some good experience in adjusting the calipers (In case, you have experiences in DIY, then, please go ahead and replace yourself)

Last edited by gkveda : 12th September 2018 at 09:17.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2018, 13:08   #874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Squealing or squeaking of brakes once in a while, specially after passing through water or being parked in rain has been a common occurrence in many cars in my circle. This time the squeal came after the car was parked in scorching sunlight for around two hours and then driven for around 120 kms in the same weather..

First you could check if the sound is from the front (disc-brakes) or rear (typically drum-brakes).

If it is from the front and is a metal-scraping type of sound, then sometimes it could be caused by a small stone/gravel stuck between the brake-pads and the disc (rotor). One solution would be to stop the car and move it a few feet back in reverse gear in order to dislodge the suspect stone/gravel fragment.

If it is from the rear, then you may have to open the drum and check it out
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 23:55   #875
BHPian

What's that sound?

I recently bought a pre-owned 3rd gen Honda City VAT which has done 67xxx kms. I have been noticing an unusual and very faint grinding/humming sound at constant speed of 40-50 kmph and this sound also makes its presence felt at the accelerator pedal with very faint vibration which would otherwise not be noticeable to anyone else driving the car. This only happens when I gently press the accelerator and maintain constant speeds unlike when the accelerator is floored as that time it vanishes and car becomes butter smooth. Upon taking the foot off the accelerator the sound and vibrations reappear but vary upon the speed of the car. I went to Honda Service centre who failed to even acknowledge or notice the issue, now this issue has been robbing me of the driving pleasure I expected from my new drive. Anyone who can enlighten what could this be due to? Could it be a transmission issue by any chance?

Last edited by ZinFluent : 28th October 2018 at 00:01.
Old 28th October 2018, 00:06   #876
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinFluent View Post
I have been noticing an unusual and very faint grinding/humming sound at constant speed of 40-50 kmph and this sound also makes its presence felt at the accelerator pedal with very faint vibration which would otherwise not be noticeable to anyone else driving the car. This only happens when I gently press the accelerator and maintain constant speeds unlike when the accelerator is floored as that time it vanishes and car becomes butter smooth. Upon taking the foot off the accelerator the sound and vibrations reappear but vary upon the speed of the car.
Hi. Did you test driving the car in neutral and engine off? If that noise persists then this could be one of the wheel bearings. Usually the wheel bearing noise disappears or is not audible when you drive beyond a certain speed.
Old 28th October 2018, 00:39   #877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Hi. Did you test driving the car in neutral and engine off? If that noise persists then this could be one of the wheel bearings. Usually the wheel bearing noise disappears or is not audible when you drive beyond a certain speed.

Have not tried this yet to be honest. Correct me if i am wrong, coasting an AT car in neutral is not recommended right? Also if this is indeed a wheel bearing issue, can that also cause slight vibration at the accelerator pedal?
Old 28th October 2018, 01:03   #878
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Usually the wheel bearing noise disappears or is not audible when you drive beyond a certain speed.
Pardon me if I'm wrong, doesn't the wheel bearing sound increase with an increase in speed? It gets louder as speed increases (humming noise).
Old 28th October 2018, 05:41   #879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinFluent View Post
Have not tried this yet to be honest. Correct me if i am wrong, coasting an AT car in neutral is not recommended right? Also if this is indeed a wheel bearing issue, can that also cause slight vibration at the accelerator pedal?
Hi , if its AT then you may keep the vehicle stationary and lift the car on all wheels, keeping the car in neutral and then a mechanic can spin each wheel by hand and figure if the noise comes from the wheel rotation. The procedure applies to manual transmission as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Pardon me if I'm wrong, doesn't the wheel bearing sound increase with an increase in speed? It gets louder as speed increases (humming noise).

Well, can't explain exactly why and how, perhaps the wind and tyre noise may cancel the noise from wheel bearing and definitely with modern cars one can't hear such humming noise anymore on higher speeds. I have experienced it personally. As the car decelerates the repeating noise appears again and increases as the speed decreases.
Old 22nd November 2018, 09:26   #880
BHPian

Ertiga squealing noise from brakes / tires

Posting it on behalf of a friend.

Recently completed a 4000 Kms long Rajasthan trip in Ertiga Petrol. Car is 3 years old and has done 30,000 Kms. During the trip, we constantly faced an issue. On braking, a squealing noise (like when the brakes are applied hard) was coming. This noise was coming irrespective of hard or lightest of breaking. Every time the break pedal was pressed, noise was coming. Slowing down from a higher speed was also associated with a minor skid. Not sure if it's a problem with Tires or Brakes or anything else. Car still wears stock tires which look to be in decent shape.

Car was serviced just before this trip however, this issue was persistent from some time. So it is not something developed during the service.

Has anyone faced this issue in past?
Old 14th January 2019, 20:54   #881

I got my Celerio AMT serviced yesterday at 33k km mark. While driving today, I could hear a squeaky noise (something like qienk-qienk) coming from the front right wheel well. It was neither too faint nor too loud. No sounds/rattles were present before the service. I have informed the SA about it and get it checked. Has anyone ever heard such squealing sound from the wheels?
Old 15th January 2019, 13:28   #882

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_spur View Post
I got my Celerio AMT serviced yesterday at 33k km mark. While driving today, I could hear a squeaky noise (something like qienk-qienk) coming from the front right wheel well. It was neither too faint nor too loud. No sounds/rattles were present before the service. I have informed the SA about it and get it checked. Has anyone ever heard such squealing sound from the wheels?
Resolved: The edges of the wheel rim tag was touching the disc brake. Got it trimmed and aligned and the sound disappeared. Silly
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:17   #883
Senior - BHPian

I have been hearing a kat-kat sound recently in my Honda Jazz.
It seemed as if it is from the steering or meter console. But, the sound was also coming when the car was stationary.
So, I opened the bonnet and found a strange sound from the engine which I have never heard before.
Please listen to the below clip and let me know what you guys think -
Old 22nd February 2019, 10:55   #884
Distinguished - BHPian

Jazz seems to be having loose cam or tappet. Does not sound like engine bearing noise which is much more "Heavy"

Also not likely to be turbo fan (if diesel vehicle) related as at idle turbo will not spool.

Check also belts and water pump / air con pulley bearings.
Old 22nd February 2019, 18:30   #885

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisag View Post
Heard a strange sound of air escaping - almost as if a person is exhaling from their mouth on my way back this evening. The sound comes everytime i press the brake pedal.
Noticed it at a red light, and thought it could be due to air entrapment (in my shoes? or maybe the footmat? - it sounded as if one was stepping on sponge!). Rechecked when I got home, the sound seems to be coming from the vicinity of the brake pedal, with the engine off it sounded a couple of times and then stopped. Once I restarted the engine, the sound re-appeared. I'm attaching a quick sound recording of the same (yes its the brakes, not me doing pranayam :P)

http://clyp.it/la2lc0yd link to sound recording

PS - I drive a Skoda Yeti 2011 (4wd), 80K on the odo!

Sameer, is this something like what you heard? any resolution so far?
Ok for all of you out there that lived with this identical and horribly annoying sound AND more importantly had your brakes compromised, but didn't know how to diagnose this issue - here goes.

Its a seal within the Brake Booster that gives way which then starts making this sound. If you take it to your local dealer and ask them to do a vacuum test etc, the booster will pass with flying colors. Its only after the dyamn thing is opened up that you'll know. Attaching picture. Changed mine and ALL IS WELL! Brakes bite much much better and this sounds gone.

2013 - Skoda Laura - 2.0 CR - 125k - LnK
Attached Thumbnails
What's that sound?-brake_booster.jpg  

Most Viewed