Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2023, 11:24   #976
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What's that sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by genopv View Post
I have a strange whining sound in my Fabia 1.2TDI (2012) when I accelerate. I reported this to Tafe service and they said the Solenoid malfunctioned and I got it replaced by them.

But I notice that the sound is creeping again over a period of time. Previously the noise was very high, but now its at say 50%. The whining sound is as though I'm accelerating the car too fast. Don't hear these in higher speeds. I have uplaoded the video to YouTube:

Link to Video/Sound

Any ideas? How can this be fixed?

Why solenoid?
Sounds to be some rotating part that's linked to acceleration, like a bearing somewhere or a belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genopv View Post
Yes I'm not sure. The sound did reduce after they did that :-(

You should take it to an FNG. Look up someone recommended in Bangalore. Such a thing would be easy to identify for any mechanic. A.S S. would not be so inclined. I am sure Tafe took a pretty penny for solenoid replacement.

Last edited by mayankk : 15th November 2023 at 11:33.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 11:29   #977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Why solenoid?
Sounds to be some rotating part that's linked to acceleration, like a bearing somewhere or a belt.
Yes I'm not sure. The sound did reduce after they did that :-(
Old 6th December 2023, 22:41   #978
BHPian

Hi Friends,

I need help from experts here.

My 2011 Vento TDI Highline has done 130k kilometers. Timing belt and water pump was change at last service at 125 kilometer.

There is a strange metal noise after turning off the engine last few days.

You can hear the sound in the video after engine is turned off.

Need help to understand what the sound might be and what should be the actions to rectify.

Appreciate your quick response.
Old 15th March 2024, 10:13   #979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
The SCRUNCH persists. There is only one culprit left and that is the front struts. Will tackle this soon.

On a side-note, there was a rumbling sound from the center/rear of the car at exactly 1800 rpm in every gear. It would last for few seconds and disappear as revs increased or decreased. After years of hunting by multiple SA's, it was finally narrowed it down to the exhaust-O-ring between two sections of the exhaust pipe. Changed it and the sound vanished.
Cost. Rs20 and no extra labour charge.
This is the best Rs.20 I have spent so far.
Update on resolution to funky sounds:

SCRUNCH:
During the service in Feb '24, the mech in a MASS identified worn out stabilizer bar bushes. These two bushes, about Rs.20 a piece, were replaced and the SCRUNCH disappeared. The ride feels tight and the car feels 5 years younger on front suspension! Turns out the shocks wernt the culprit.

RUMBLE:
This sound is neither a metal on metal or plastic on plastic sound. The best way to describe it is it sounds like an intermittent exhaust leak.
The Rs.20 solution to the rumbling mentioned above didnt last long, the rumbling persisted despite changing the exhaust gasket this Feb. Angered by my attempts to quash the noise, a light rumble spread to idle RPM as well and once in a while accompanied by, what felt like, exhaust wobble on engine shutdown - what a nuisance!
So with a focused mindset for rumble exorcism, I approached Surakshaa Bommanahalli which is a larger dealer service center. From my past experience I see that the larger dealer centers are better at diagnosing odd-ball issues. The SA's/mechs put their heads together if they cant solve the issue.
This time on the first occurrence of the sound, the SA Mr.Rakesh immediately suggested that it could be an exhaust bush issue and not a gasket. I was skeptical and asked him to check the gasket nonetheless. The car was jacked up and lo and behold there was about 2-3mm play in the rear most hanger bush. It appears small but it will cause the whole exhaust to wobble about. Rather than replace the bush (Rs.800 part on boodmo), the SA shoved a spare bush in the gap of the existing bush - the exhaust bush is a loop like rubber part with a gap in the center. This solved the issue! It was like night and day and to my surprise the engine felt a lot quieter now. It appears the bush was causing more noise than the rumble that I had mistakenly assumed as engine noise and ignored.
The car glides smoothly now and is whisper quiet. The engine rev sounds sweeter and cleaner than before.
I hope this solution lasts

What's that sound?-screenshot-20240315-101251.jpg

Last edited by rajathv8 : 15th March 2024 at 10:16.
Old 17th March 2024, 01:46   #980
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (3)

I have Chevrolet Spark, which has clocked 52k km.

I have recently replaced brake booster, brake pads, and AC condenser during major service.

But for a year I have been experiencing a lack of braking sometimes while I am running car with AC on. This is not a regular problem but when it happens brakes work like an old Maruti 800 or Ambassador (specific model, which do not have air or hydraulic power brakes) and thus the situation feels like a short horror story as I am set to stop the car by applying a certain pressure on brake paddle and brake paddle goes down to the normal place till where It is supposed to go and becomes hard.

Without AC, I have not felt any such issue.

Out of 100 times of braking, I experienced this issue 1 time and the brake oil level is also okay as it was fully replaced and the brakes were also bled.

Could anyone please help me in identifying the problem...

Note from Support: Not more than 2 smilies are allowed per post. Please also take care of typos and preview your post before submitting. Thanks

Last edited by Eddy : 17th March 2024 at 02:09. Reason: Note Inline
rohanhsaraf is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th March 2024, 09:12   #981
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanhsaraf View Post

But for a year I have been experiencing a lack of braking sometimes while I am running car with AC on. This is not a regular problem but when it happens brakes work like an old Maruti 800 or Ambassador (specific model, which do not have air or hydraulic power brakes) and thus the situation feels like a short horror story as I am set to stop the car by applying a certain pressure on brake paddle and brake paddle goes down to the normal place till where It is supposed to go and becomes hard.
Please check the vacuum hose connecting the brake booster to engine vacuum. It has a check valve in it which may have gotten jammed. This can result in the booster not getting adequate vacuum buildup thereby increasing effort required at the brake pedal by foot.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2024, 23:32   #982

I have Honda Amaze (2013, Diesel). I bought it when the odo clocked 89000km and now it's 91000km. I recently replaced front brake discs, rear brake cylinders, front lower arms and link rods. I'm hearing a lot of noises while driving. I don't know how much noise a normal suspension make.
  1. Whenever I drive over a pot hole or a bump I hear loud banging noise (I don't know if 'banging' is the right word). I also noticed this noise when I drove over a road patch in a highway. The noise came from both front and back.
  2. Clunking noise when driving at low speeds on a bumpy road.
  3. Squeaking noise from rear right suspension while driving over multiple speed bumps ( a series of small speed bumps) at very slow speed.
This is disturbing my peace of mind as I don't know what a normal suspension sounds like. I go to office in cabs like Swift DZire, Ertiga, Innova Hycross and they don't make a lot of noise. I expected Honda car to be comfortable and smooth but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Please help!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks