Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2014, 22:21   #1

B13B ECU required for a Honda City VTEC

Hi Friends,

I own a Honda City VTEC - Nov 2003 model.

My ECU seems to be dead and we (me and my friends) are hunting in all directions to get an ECU for my baby.

Can anyone of you please guide me as to where i can get an ECU?

I am from Chennai. I don't mind get it shipped from anywhere in this world

Thanks in Advance.
Old 21st August 2014, 02:21   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: B13B ECU required for a Honda City VTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Gurupprasad View Post
Hi Friends,

I own a Honda City VTEC - Nov 2003 model.

My ECU seems to be dead and we (me and my friends) are hunting in all directions to get an ECU for my baby.

Can anyone of you please guide me as to where i can get an ECU?

I am from Chennai. I don't mind get it shipped from anywhere in this world

Thanks in Advance.
Are you sure it's the ECU? Its very rare for the ECU to break down. Did you get the car hooked up to an OBD analyzer? If so, what codes did you get?

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 10:43   #3
BHPian

Please explain, how did you zero in on saying that its the ecu which went kaput!! It's extremely rare!

Also, can you let us know the status of the lights on the dash and one more thing, when you insert the key and turn the ignition key to the "on" position, can you hear the fuel pump prime?
ssjr0498 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 11:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think you will have to check with local mechanic/scrapyard fellows.
And poach one from a dumped Honda City.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 07:54   #5
BHPian

Have you tried Pudupet? There is a lane which only has engines for sale from broken down cars. Even if they don't have one they could source one for you. Alternatively you can contact Race Dynamics for a standalone ECU.
flipsyde is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Are you sure it's the ECU? Its very rare for the ECU to break down. Did you get the car hooked up to an OBD analyzer? If so, what codes did you get?

Jeroen
Hi Jeroen,

i have been told by my garage that it is the ECU. I will talk to them and get the codes.

Hi All,

A "BIG THANKS" to all of you for your immediate response and queries.

Sorry, I was busy preparing for the big day in my life. I am getting engaged today (also sad that I am not able to have my car present @ the big day)

My car is being serviced and cared for by "Performance Motors", Chennai, a garage owned by my friends. Answering each one of your questions,

@ssjr0498

My ECU went kaput long ago. My friends at garage told me this. for a few days, there was another Type 2 @ garage, from which i borrowed the ECU and was running my car. Now, that car is ready to step out and thus i am left with no ECU. I was getting the "Malfunction Ligths" when i turned on the ignition. I am not sure about hearing the fuel pump prime. will confirm with garage and let you know soon. Thanks!

@alpha1

Seriously! I am hunting nook and corner of Chennai to poach one. Thanks!

@flipsyde

Haven't tried pudupet till now. Will do that next week. Can Race dynamics provide me with an ECU? I thought RD can give something that goes "on top of an existing" ECU! Thanks!

Last edited by GTO : 22nd August 2014 at 15:48. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 22nd August 2014, 15:50   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: B13B ECU required for a Honda City VTEC

Quote:
Seriously! I am hunting nook and corner of Chennai to poach one.
Before spending big money & time on a new ECU, why not try SS-Traveller's recommendation out? Link to Rajender Khan. Might save you $$$.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2014, 09:57   #8

Hi,

Finally managed to source an ECU for my baby

there seems to be another issue now. mine is a 2003 VTEC and i managed to get a 2002 VTEC's ECU. i am experiencing heavy jerks (sluggishness) in low gear & RPM.

can someone please suggest what i can do to arrest this issue?

Thanks in Advance

Old 10th September 2014, 03:33   #9
BHPian

Hey There, Congrats on your Engagement, May god bless you both.
regarding ECU, are you sure Car didn't go any major update between 2002-2003, I mean spec wise.

Also I would suggest you to ask the Garage to do another "ECU Reset" after you have run the car for couple of days, this might solve the issue in first place.

Also do mention how much the it costed you, as it would help future visitors on this thread.
Old 10th September 2014, 09:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Hey There, Congrats on your Engagement, May god bless you both.
regarding ECU, are you sure Car didn't go any major update between 2002-2003, I mean spec wise.

Also I would suggest you to ask the Garage to do another "ECU Reset" after you have run the car for couple of days, this might solve the issue in first place.

Also do mention how much the it costed you, as it would help future visitors on this thread.
Thank you

I believe all the ECUs that came along with the VTEC prior to OCT 2003 had this jerking issue @ lower RPM.

Sure! I will do an ECU reset and let you know the result.

I managed to get the ECU from OLX for 7500/- it was from a 2002 VTEC that was totalled.
Old 10th September 2014, 09:49   #11

Also,

I am thinking of installing HONDATA s100 or s300.

is this a good option? are these products compatible with my car?

please advise

Thanks in Advance
Old 10th September 2014, 12:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Also,

please advise

Thanks in Advance
Its good to know that you sourced yourself an ecu! It is true that the pre 2003 vtec's had the low end jerking issue. Resetting the stock ecu is of no use. This issue can't be solved unless you have a piggyback or a standalone ecu. There are some more jugaad's, which are not easy and not recommended unless you know the ABC of modding. (Not that I know jack, that's why saying not to do it!)

I am currently running a Hondata S300 in my vtec and it is 100% compatible and very easy to use. Still, I would recommend you using a Neptune/Chrome to a Hondata as it is more VFM.

I wouldn't recommend any piggyback or standalone ecu over the Honda stock ecu unless you plan on doing some extensive mods and enter this dark world.

Please understand that it is very difficult to better the factory tune using an aftermarket ecu on a "STOCK" setup.

Putting headers and a filter is by no means considered a mod good enough to look for a substitute ECU. Believe me, when I say that the HONDA factory tune is that good!!

No matter what people say, unless you have messed with the internals of the engine, like increasing the compression considerably or changing the lift and duration of the camshaft, stick to the stock ecu for reliable and a trouble free drive.

My 2 paisa

Cheers
Shrey
ssjr0498 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 13:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Its good to know that you sourced yourself an ecu! It is true that the pre 2003 vtec's had the low end jerking issue. Resetting the stock ecu is of no use. This issue can't be solved unless you have a piggyback or a standalone ecu. There are some more jugaad's, which are not easy and not recommended unless you know the ABC of modding. (Not that I know jack, that's why saying not to do it!)

I am currently running a Hondata S300 in my vtec and it is 100% compatible and very easy to use. Still, I would recommend you using a Neptune/Chrome to a Hondata as it is more VFM.

I wouldn't recommend any piggyback or standalone ecu over the Honda stock ecu unless you plan on doing some extensive mods and enter this dark world.

Please understand that it is very difficult to better the factory tune using an aftermarket ecu on a "STOCK" setup.

Putting headers and a filter is by no means considered a mod good enough to look for a substitute ECU. Believe me, when I say that the HONDA factory tune is that good!!

No matter what people say, unless you have messed with the internals of the engine, like increasing the compression considerably or changing the lift and duration of the camshaft, stick to the stock ecu for reliable and a trouble free drive.

My 2 paisa

Cheers
Shrey
Thank you ssjr0498

I didn't want to install any standalone ECU, wanted to use the car as stock as possible. But, the sluggishness is making me feel that i am not behind the wheels of a VTEC

Can you please give me some more details on s300? what were to referring to when you said "Still, I would recommend you using a Neptune/Chrome to a Hondata as it is more VFM"

where can i buy HONDATA s300? should i get it in India or ask some of my friends to buy in the US and bring it when they come?
Old 10th September 2014, 14:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Also,

please advise

Thanks in Advance
Quote:
Thank you ssjr0498

I didn't want to install any standalone ECU, wanted to use the car as stock as possible. But, the sluggishness is making me feel that i am not behind the wheels of a VTEC

Can you please give me some more details on s300? what were to referring to when you said "Still, I would recommend you using a Neptune/Chrome to a Hondata as it is more VFM"

where can i buy HONDATA s300? should i get it in India or ask some of my friends to buy in the US and bring it when they come?
To begin with, let me ask you a question?

1. Which area do you feel your Vtec to be sluggish? Low, mid or top? Depending on this we can figure out a way to solve it.

2. How many km's have you clocked and what is the condition of the car? Have you ever got a compression test done?

Neptune/Crome are more or less like hondata's but way more easier to work on (read tune) than the hondata.

You can get it from some folks in B'bay but at a exorbitant rate, the best bet is to have someone carry it for you from the US.

Lastly, let me reiterate, there are a very few (stock) cars in the country even today that can match/ come close to the performance of the wheels that you own!

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 10th September 2014 at 14:27.
ssjr0498 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 14:53   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
To begin with, let me ask you a question?

1. Which area do you feel your Vtec to be sluggish? Low, mid or top? Depending on this we can figure out a way to solve it.

2. How many km's have you clocked and what is the condition of the car? Have you ever got a compression test done?

Neptune/Crome are more or less like hondata's but way more easier to work on (read tune) than the hondata.

You can get it from some folks in B'bay but at a exorbitant rate, the best bet is to have someone carry it for you from the US.

Lastly, let me reiterate, there are a very few (stock) cars in the country even today that can match/ come close to the performance of the wheels that you own!
Hi,
  1. My ride feels sluggish @ the low range. When i shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd at slow speeds (Chennai traffic ). Also, after a near-stop (<15kms speed), with AC on, i feel the car struggles to pick up to 50+kms speed (I Have not experienced this before when i had my STOCK ECU running )
  2. I have 98900kms on the Odo and the condition of my car is pretty decent. I have OHC 1.3's gear box installed, custom header and air intake system. I haven't done a compression test till date. (should I do it? can i do it @ Honda service station?
I am willing to pay for "Neptune/Chrome" as i am deeply saddened to drive a VTEC in this condition. "Anything for my baby" If you can let me know the model/make of the Neptune/Chrome product that i should procure, i would be very grateful.

Yes! I do agree that I own a rare and cherished set of wheels.

Thanks a ton!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks