Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2006, 12:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

2fast4u I said that because since the car is 4 years old some of the plastic part might have broken after usage it might not be repairable thats why.

Naveen ji please check the switch out from a car mechanice before going for a new switch.
Old 1st August 2006, 12:38   #17
BHPian

Naveen, are you still planning to go on that Ladakh trip? If you are, that switch would best be replaced.
Old 1st August 2006, 12:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil
Naveen, are you still planning to go on that Ladakh trip? If you are, that switch would best be replaced.
I would agree with Airfoil & LBM completely here. These things which are a critical component are best replaced as repairing them is nothing more than a stop-gap measure to delay their imminent failure.
Old 1st August 2006, 14:21   #19
DRC
BHPian

Stalks can be repaired. Is it recommended? hmm good question.
Again, its your call. It certainly not the forte of the car mechanic. So most dealerships replace the assembly, which is safe for their reputation and profitable too.

If the cost of replacement is too expensive, or there is a long waiting time for the spare as in case of FIAT part, I would rather repair ir myself. If it is not so expensive or easily available, get it replaced. This is how 'I' look at it.
Old 18th January 2012, 21:22   #20
BHPian

re: Baleno - Head light not turning off

The high-beam on my Esteem stopped working. I suspect I have to change the circuit-board under the steering's horn that hooks up to the stalk and I expect it to cost around Rs.3k.

When my headlamps remained switched on, the electrician found a bit of melted solder and knocked off the melted solder with the back of a screw driver about a month before the failure to get the headlights working right, which they did till one day the high beam wouldn't turn on.
Old 18th January 2012, 22:05   #21
BHPian

Revival of an old 2006 thread but the options are still the same. Unless you have a very methodical electrician, it will be better to do it yourself if you are a DIY man. Just remove it analyse and try to fix it.

You will at least know that it is beyond economical repair before replacing it just as in the old days when everything was repaired unless it was a true gonner.
Old 19th January 2012, 12:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

can we rule out stuck relays as one of the causes ?
Old 20th January 2012, 18:10   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
The high-beam on my Esteem stopped working. I suspect I have to change the circuit-board under the steering's horn that hooks up to the stalk and I expect it to cost around Rs.3k.

When my headlamps remained switched on, the electrician found a bit of melted solder and knocked off the melted solder with the back of a screw driver about a month before the failure to get the headlights working right, which they did till one day the high beam wouldn't turn on.
The melted solder points to overheating. The most probable cause is contact arcing due to loose contact. By now the contact would have eroded completely!

Your best bet is to get the headlight stalk changed, either new one or canibalised from an accident car.
Old 20th January 2012, 19:50   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
No we cannot. I had installed Hella Wiring harness after I upgraded to 90/100W from stocks in my WagonR. I faced similar issues where the lights remained on even after turning the switch off only to realize later that it was the case of relays gone 'direct'.

Earlier, I spent 1250/- on the switchgear thinking that the issue was with the switch!!

I later replaced just the relay (which was a part of the harness) and the problem was solved.
Old 24th January 2012, 01:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'm not sure of what you mean by a 'stuck' relay. Can you please elaborate? I'm a software guy so when something is 'stuck', I would fix it by turning it off and turning it on again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The most probable cause is contact arcing due to loose contact. get the headlight stalk changed, either new one or canibalised from an accident car.
You're right - the high beam miraculously started working again yesterday. All I did was let the car sit in the parking area for about 3-4 days and voila! The circuit board underneath the horn does need a replacement for the lights to work reliably.

BTW, does anyone know of where I can get parts from accident vehicles in Hyderabad? Or perhaps another city?
Old 24th January 2012, 12:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Re: Baleno - Head light not turning off

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
I'm not sure of what you mean by a 'stuck' relay. Can you please elaborate? I'm a software guy so when something is 'stuck', I would fix it by turning it off and turning it on again
a relay is (usually) an electromechanical switch that can be used to turn on higher power devices remotely
Relay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The relay used in the headlight can become stuck leading to similar issues.
These relays (along with the relays for the HVAC, other lights etc) are usually found in the fusebox, inside the dash or under the hood
Old 24th January 2012, 17:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Do you have a 'cutout' installed for the headlights. Have you 90/100 bulbs in stock wiring
Old 24th January 2012, 22:16   #28
BHPian

Re: Baleno - Head light not turning off

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigy View Post
Do you have a 'cutout' installed for the headlights. Have you 90/100 bulbs in stock wiring
I had a 'cutout' (relay) hooked up to 130/100 bulbs. I just tossed out the old one today and fitted a cheap Pooja relay for Rs.250/-.

Next, I'll see what can be done about the headlight plastic enclosure. I've already got a pair of fog lamps that don't really help in driving at night.

After that, I plan to put up a small bullbar or nudge bar solely for fitting accessory lights (yes, I've seen the thread on bull bars but if I were to hit somebody at 80 km/hr, it wouldn't matter if I had a bull bar on or not - I'd much rather be able to see the person and avoid him/her with the extra lights). Any idea how much the bull bar or nudge bar would cost in Hyderabad for an Esteem?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks