Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2006, 19:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

I am led to believe that ARAI charges a fortune to homologate a car. So my guess is that they have to be incompetent/corupt and a bunch of typical babus, to be able to so totally screw up an organisation that is meant to make things better for the automobile industry.
Old 1st August 2006, 11:38   #17
BHPian

hmm in a way ur right GTO ARAI doesnt really have much for testing Mechatronics and Infotelematics ,, thats because hardly any Indian manufact supplies it , atleast their engine testbeds are the same used by TUV ,, maybe we will have our very own NARDO someday ,

hey and u can get the S class with the infrared night vision thingy.. just that u'll have to get a CBU

Last edited by Kinetik : 1st August 2006 at 11:44.
Old 1st August 2006, 13:10   #18
Team-BHP Support

Emissions test costs Rs.40,000/- per run.
Old 18th January 2012, 21:12   #19
BHPian

Re: S-Class Technology Banned in India. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The distronic cruise control actually will not work on Indian roads.Secondly there are hardly any lane markers in India.

99 percent roads are not digitized.
We actually do have lane markers on roads in India, but people choose to ignore them. We have many motorcycle riders to whom the concept of a lane is non-existent. Oncoming vehicles on dual-carriage roads seem oblivious to the idea of a road on which overtaking is prohibited.

I used my GPS (MapMyIndia 2008 maps) to go from Mehdipatnam to Chilkur and it guided me across an unpaved road, which it determined to be the shortest route.

BTW, the traffic cameras that issue a traffic fine for staying in the junction during a red light do not consider the fact that we have pedestrians and motorcycles running astray and sometimes it is necessary to stop at the junction. However, that didn't stop its adoption in India.
Old 18th January 2012, 23:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
We actually do have lane markers on roads in India, but people choose to ignore them. We have many motorcycle riders to whom the concept of a lane is non-existent. Oncoming vehicles on dual-carriage roads seem oblivious to the idea of a road on which overtaking is prohibited.

I used my GPS (MapMyIndia 2008 maps) to go from Mehdipatnam to Chilkur and it guided me across an unpaved road, which it determined to be the shortest route.

BTW, the traffic cameras that issue a traffic fine for staying in the junction during a red light do not consider the fact that we have pedestrians and motorcycles running astray and sometimes it is necessary to stop at the junction. However, that didn't stop its adoption in India.

My dear friend, that post of mine was made more than 5.5 years back. Think of Sat-nav situation then!!

Besides there were other points that I had made, referring again for a quick look

Quote:
Jokes apart , to be honest, The distronic cruise control actually will not work on Indian roads. Firstly even in US, this thing leaves more than 3 car lengths of a gap enough for other road users sneaking in that gap. Moreover in India you have the added feature of Cycles, and other slow moving objects threatening to come in its way, which would always cause it to slow down. In a country where the road users are so haphazard (and also varied) such a thing will not work. Infact if such a thing is is kept on and relied upon, it may on the contrary lead to accidents. Secondly there are hardly any lane markers in India.

We need infrastructure first, we also need general awareness as to how a road should be used in modern times. Case in point is SAT-NAV systems. Think about when they were launched and think about the fact that we cannot use it in India. 99 percent roads are not digitized.

Just to let you know, I have parking sensors (infra red) standard on my scorpio. A few days back, I was shocked to see the scorpio hit a solid object while reversing, without warning. When I got down, I saw a concrete pipe with its axis parallel to the direction of the car. The infra red rays went right through it without reflecting back. These things dont happen in the developed world. Now I note, that it even cant recognize bicycles if they are parked perpendicular to the car. Same thing with the after-market parking sensors on my Ikon.
1100D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 15:41   #21
BHPian

Quote:
My dear friend, that post of mine was made more than 5.5 years back. Think of Sat-nav situation then!!
Yes, I wanted to say that just two years after your post, the GPS maps contained even the tiny unpaved roads. We're a rapidly 'developing' country - Jai Hind!

Quote:
I have parking sensors. The scorpio hit a solid object while reversing. I saw a concrete pipe with its axis parallel to the direction of the car. These things dont happen in the developed world.
The sensitivity of the parking sensors has to be adjusted and the engineers have to draw a line at some point because a pebble sent flying by the tyres or perhaps even dust and fog should not trigger the 'alarm'.

There still is a lot that we have to do in India in terms of adopting standards and changing the way people behave.

I once reversed into a sign board (no, I don't have parking sensors) with its pole painted black (it should have had black and white stripes if it were in a different part of the world) because it was invisible in my rear-view mirror at night and this was in the parking lot of the Cyber Towers at HiTech City. I needed a new tail light after the accident.

I have motorcycles and scooters hitting my rear bumper all the time. The 'little old ladies' in cars parked next to mine hit my car with their car's door once while climbing out and once while retrieving their luggage.
Old 19th January 2012, 15:54   #22
BANNED

May be the R in ARAI now stands for Retarded or Retrograde.
Old 19th January 2012, 17:40   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The ARAI is a laughable organisation! It does not even have the facilities to test the top speed of cars now available, leave aside such advanced technologies.

They have a major ego issue. Since foreign countries dont accept ARAI certification for cars exported, our ignorant testing authorities do not accept a car that may have passed the most stringest testing overseas.

GTO
But cars costing above 50000$ do not require ARAI certification to sell in India, is this not so?
I think the ban comes from MoD or MoH or some other such ministry, rather than ARAI
Old 21st January 2012, 13:26   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

^ Yep, that rule came into place much later (from the time that I had posted). Also, I believe its applicable for cars costing $40,000 (not 50K).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks