Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2006, 20:33   #1
BHPian

WagonR Less than <20K and suspension Rocks

Folks,

My WagonR has just done 18K and its suspension has gone bad - which I think and Maruti Dealer is still investigating.

This is what happened - Yesterday I could hear thump thump from front wheel, I thought its a Flat - I kept on driving because it was raining and there was no way I could change - well i reached my destination and when I checked tires they were perfectly normal.

Seems to me that cars suspension is down- either a bush has gone down or shockers have gone bad - Tire does not wobble but there is thump thump noise that I can hear.

so I take my car to dealer and dealer instead of investigating issue with the car starts preparing huge Service Bill which includes oil change, brake fluid change, Brake pad check, wheel alignment and to Top it all ENGINE DECARBONISER PACKAGE at 20K are these guys nuts or what ? who gets car engine DECARBONISED at 20K
Only reason I am at the dealer is because I think suspension needs to be checked and corrected by Maruti under warranty

Well suspension is my guess which is usually 100% correct or it could be transmission shaft problem that I read in one of the Forums.

suggest what may have gone wrong and has anyone faced this with Wagon R or a Maruti Vehicle
I am damn pissed with maruti right now....

Thanks, Shumeet
Old 26th July 2006, 20:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

my Xing was decarbed at 20k for 750rs. Ther was a problem with suspensionand had a thud sound which was due to kaput shock at fnt left which was replaced under warranty.

Check you owner's manual for things that should be done at various service intervals.
Old 26th July 2006, 21:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

The only noisy part on our Wagon R was the brake callipers. I think my dad got them replaced.

Shan2nu
Old 26th July 2006, 22:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneOp

I could hear thump thump from front wheel, I checked tires they were perfectly normal.

Seems to me that cars suspension is down- either a bush has gone down or shockers have gone bad - Tire does not wobble but there is thump thump noise that I can hear.

Well suspension is my guess which is usually 100% correct or it could be transmission shaft problem that I read in one of the Forums.

A colelague of mine with a 2 year old Wagon R Vxi also has had a similar experience. He was driving at around 60 kmph when a pothole appeared unannounced and he had no option but to drive over it at that speed on his left front tyre. Then on, he's continued to get thudding sounds from the front suspension - especially at lower speed. The sound goes away as speed picks up. There is no other behavior apart from this.

RNS Motors hads replaced some suspension components under warranty, and lot of checks thereafter have yet not made this thudding sound disappear.
Old 9th July 2008, 18:38   #5

Guys,
Any update on this thread... My WagonR seems like it has run into the same problem. Experiencing a noise in the front section while driving on bad roads or at low speeds(noise appears as if am driving on dry struts and weak coils). Checked with a highly known MAS in bangalore and they have replaced most of the front section now but the problem still persists.

Under recommendation from them i have replaced..... Struts and Coils (2 pairs), Drive Shaft (both sides), Caliper Sets, Steering Assembly Overhaul, Lower Arm and wheel drums... and donno what but then the problem still persists. And the worst part of these guys was when they could not solve it ... they say this is normal with a WagonR as the suspensions are designed hard by the company to avoid body roll (as if i have never seen a car before and if this is normal why was the suspension kit replaced..)

I have then moved to another MAS (this time a small scale one) and tried un-mount and re-assemble and re-mount the entire front section but then the problem is still seen...
Any ideas what i could check now? I have lost heart at this moment and thinking of disposing my car (which i love a lot and would want to avoid disposal)

Any help is highly appreciated..
Thanks
Old 11th July 2008, 21:39   #6
BHPian

@ Crash drive : Same problem here buddy. I have a 2005 lx model with 18000 kms done. I have exactly the same problem and have approached the MASS for help and after everything has been done, the problem EXISTS .
Old 11th July 2008, 23:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdrive78 View Post
Guys,
Any update on this thread... My WagonR seems like it has run into the same problem. Experiencing a noise in the front section while driving on bad roads or at low speeds(noise appears as if am driving on dry struts and weak coils). Checked with a highly known MAS in bangalore and they have replaced most of the front section now but the problem still persists.

Under recommendation from them i have replaced..... Struts and Coils (2 pairs), Drive Shaft (both sides), Caliper Sets, Steering Assembly Overhaul, Lower Arm and wheel drums... and donno what but then the problem still persists. And the worst part of these guys was when they could not solve it ... they say this is normal with a WagonR as the suspensions are designed hard by the company to avoid body roll (as if i have never seen a car before and if this is normal why was the suspension kit replaced..)

I have then moved to another MAS (this time a small scale one) and tried un-mount and re-assemble and re-mount the entire front section but then the problem is still seen...
Any ideas what i could check now? I have lost heart at this moment and thinking of disposing my car (which i love a lot and would want to avoid disposal)

Any help is highly appreciated..
Thanks
hey you almost changed the whole thing and nothing worked ? but gave nice service bill for Maruti ?

I had the same issue, Maruti A.S.S SA told me needs suspension overhaul (around 7k) , went to a local mechanic and spoke to him, he gave me a good dump of all suspension parts etc and then went to different Maruti A.S.S armed with knowledge and they replaced the bearings & bushes only (+ arm ) and things are fine now.

The noise one gets while travelling at certain speeds and at turnings is due to bearing. get the bearing replaced ...it's around 800/- per bearing.

what I do not like about many Maruti A.S.S is they are trying to replace complete sets when things can be changed/fixed by replacing 50% of parts. My suspension setup was good, only the bushes had worn out+bearing and they wanted to do complete suspn. overhaul.

Always get 2nd opinion from others, just like we get for major diseases. Everybody is after meeting their monthly billing targets.

Don't suspect the coils so soon, they are damn sturdy stuffs and can handle many many bad road abuses.

Last edited by ownerofazkaban : 11th July 2008 at 23:25.
Old 12th July 2008, 08:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

When my FIAT had such a issue where is was hearing a thud every time one of my front wheels hit a small pothole. It happened that i had just ran into quite a deep hole before this problem started.

They changed the Shock Bush Kit. Its a small rubber like thing that covers the top side of the shocks. I guess it provides an extra cushion for the shocks while they are moving. THis has solved the problem. But i dont think maruti A S S guys would be ignorant as to not check this up.
Old 12th July 2008, 14:03   #9

those have been replaced.... and so are the ball-joints for the steering assembly.
- Crash
Old 12th July 2008, 14:08   #10

i have been telling them that its not suspension, but the guys in that sevice station give an attitue like "u know better or we know better" ... :( .... i think i am nearing a solution now... waiting to hear back from the small scale MASS guys.. they tested replacing some of the parts from their vehicle and were mentioning that it might have gone away.. just waiting for the final verdict...

@mnhegde: Same problem here buddy. I have a 2005 lx model with 18000 kms done. I have exactly the same problem and have approached the MASS for help and after everything has been done, the problem EXISTS

is it the one on Hosur Road by any chance.. ? if yes.. time to change the place [not mentioning any names at this moment]
Old 13th July 2008, 17:01   #11
BHPian

@crash drive : no buddy the one on bannerghatta road and basavangudi. got it?? .
Old 13th July 2008, 21:35   #12

@mnhegde: looks like most of the MASS in bangalore works on trial-n-error n suspicion basis and no1 really understands the technical depth of the car's. I have tried getting in touch with Maruti (infact spoke to their customer care team) and they believe that unless their authorized engineer who visits the dealer cum service station once a week gives a verdict, they cannot take any further action. U might wanna get in touch with one of them, involves deciding on a dealer and taking an appointment with them. Sagar Auto at bannerghata road possibly ? The engineer "might" be able to identify the source of the sound.

As for the issue with my car, the problem lies somewhere between the horizontal bar of the steering assembly and the arms that help turn the wheel (not sure of the exact technical name). I will update the thread once i get the delivery of my car (expecting it back on Tuesday). Testing the solution Monday Evening for confirmation.
Old 22nd August 2008, 13:54   #13

Hi all - Seems I'm having the same problem - 2006 Lxi model, done 29K kms, ran out of warranty some time ago. The funny thing is that my trouble started after the previous paid service - on a smooth stretch of highway, I began feeling a hint of thumping from the left front wheel, which alarmed me. I pulled over and went around tightening all the wheel nuts since the dealer's mechs had just done wheel alignment at the servicing (and I have had careless mechs forget to reattach brake rod and other stuff on my bike). All nuts were reasonably tight, except one nut on the front left wheel, which I could tighten about a quarter turn w/out excessive force.

Roads in Goa get pretty horrible in the monsoons, big potholes and the kind of deadly thumps mentioned in this thread are common. So probably that is the root cause of my problem.

Anyway, the problem has worsened over days - the thumping was shaking the whole front of my car an inch or two from side to side. I took the car for 30K km servicing early, hoping they would fix this, but no such luck - after a lot of rubbish (the SA told me that the tyres bulge at the bottom - I'm like "they're radials!!! they have always done that!!??" his verdict is that my tyres' grip is gone - they are "unevenly worn", and I need to replace the whole set to sort out my problem.
Trouble is, I don't believe him! My tyres still have quite a bit of tread left, and while I guess 30K km is around the max I should use one set of tyres for, I don't see why there should be a sudden degradation in handling and on only one wheel, after doing wheel rotation as prescribed. I feel sure the causes discussed in this thread are actually the problem.

@crashdrive78:
I know just what you feel! I'm going through the same cycle right now... feeling pretty unhappy - and your experience of replacing SO many components - my sympathy! Have you finally had any success in tracing the fault and fixing it? I would be very grateful to hear about it, if you did...

@theMAG: yes, yes! The problem is most noticeable at lower speeds. After the SA put the spare wheel on the left front yesterday, it has improved slightly - but before that I was getting very fast shuddering even at high speed. I guess it will get back to that state unless something is done :-(

@ownerofazkaban: I agree about the monthly targets :-( :-( Everything about profits, who gives a d**n about the customer satisfaction! Thanks very much for your info, though - I will look for a good local mech and see if he can isolate the fault, and maybe even replace the bushing/bearing for me rather than pouring cash into the darn dealer's monthly targets.

Would appreciate ideas and suggestions. My boss, for example, said that a nut had come loose on her Santro and was rubbing the tire and causing a similar problem - since she used her car for a few days like that, she had to replace tie rod and tyres, I think she said - but her problem went away. Perhaps Hyundai has more competent mechs

Thanks in advance for your comments...
Regards
Ed.
Old 27th August 2008, 17:33   #14

Sorry Guys... was out on long drives so could not update the thread.
My problem was resolved by replacing the steering assembly (not sure about the technical name but the horizontal unit that helps move the wheels left and right). Had to replace the complete assembly since the centre rod had worn out due to the prev guys not maintaining the correct damper bolt setting and assembling it after a steering overhaul. Cost me about 4k i think but then that solved the problem for me. atleast.
Ed: - do u feel the road jerks and vibrations on the steering wheel while u drive? if yes then u might be looking at the troubleshooting that i did. suggest the MAS guy to put in another steering assembly from a spare vehicle (which does not have the problem) and then check if that resolves the problem. If yes, then you know the solution . Am sure its not the tyres coz i have exceeded the 40k and had no issues.
Old 27th August 2008, 18:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

I have the same issue with my 2005 Alto. I get thud-thud sound when I go over rough stretch. On servicing it goes away for two days and it is back again. I got used to it.

And yes, my steering assembly is also gone kaput! Gives a creek sound when I do full turns either to left or right, mostly right. I was told it will take 4k to fix but it is safe to drive for some more time. So doing so. Hope that correcting the steering assembly also fixed the thud sounding.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks