Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2008, 11:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

I think it is wrong to call this 'water powered'. Because it is not really powered by water. (How can it be anyway) A more appropriate term would be hydrogen powered or hydroxy powered...

Last edited by clevermax : 20th October 2008 at 11:43.
Old 20th October 2008, 12:04   #32

Water is fractured to produce HHO. In layman's language you may say it is a water car, but in reality it is Brown's gas (HHO) that eventually burns in the cylinders.
Old 20th October 2008, 12:10   #33

I have compiled some detailed info on HHO in the link below.
However beware, HHO is a very dangerous gas, and do not attempt to work on this subject unless you have good Chemistry / Mechanical and Electronics knowledge on the subject. Even experiments must be conducted under educated supervision of experts only.
Anjeel, hydrogen powered, run your car on water, run your generator on water, boost vehicle performance, more power, save fuel, conserver energy
Old 20th October 2008, 12:27   #34
BHPian

Hey anjeel thats sounds exciting!! How much cost is involved in this. Is your method is patented?
Old 21st October 2008, 10:00   #35

Parts of HHO Kit

let us breakdown the parts of the kit as follows

1) The HHO generator: The correct design of this must be fabricated using Stainless Steel and tested to run under pressure. The running pressure of HHO Gen is under 25 PSI max but I usually test it at 250 PSI. Do not try to use plastic cans / pipes bottles etc. You will be dealing with a potentially lethal gas.

2) The Fuel Cell. You may have a dry cell or wet cell. I have yet to test my hands on a dry cell as yet, but the wet cell have 7-23 plates depending upon how much HHO you want to generate. The material used for the fuel cell is best when it is an alloy of SS, Manganse, Carbon, nickel, etc. I use 0.03% Carbon, 1-2.5% Manganese, 0.30-0.65% Silicon, 18-20% Chrominum, 11-14% Nickel, 2 - 3% Molybdenum. This is quite close to the 316L config we can get in India. Jindal produces this alloy in India. Thickness of approx 1 mm, a sheet of 4x8 ft can cost you around Rs 6000/-. Alternately you can also use SS316 or 304 wires (These are the same wires that are used by MIG Welders (Ask the local welding wala next door to give you some samples)

3) Safety Devices: I Use two sets of bubblers, one near the generator and one near the intake. In addition to this I also use Flash arrestors just before the intake bubbler. All that put together makes 3 safety devices. (Guys this is extremely important a step to take into consideration). In addition to this I also use blow off vales, one way valves etc.

4) Inter-Electronics. This is the most important part. My experience of most PWMs and circuits available on EBay and like sites is waste of money and time. Conventionally If you have a direct current supplied to the HHO Generator, it will not produce enough HHO and not good to get the right performance. You have five things to take care from here on:

4a. Design a state of the art PWM or alternate circuit and send a calculated frequency to resonate the HHO plates so as to generate the correct amount of gas. You may also want to use square wave oscillators for this.

4b. Magnetically align the Fuel cell so that HHO does not stick to the plates and enough gas is produced.

4c. Wattage is the key here. If you use 12volts (or say 13.5v) and 7 amps, this is peanuts to generate the gas and your unit will always under perform. This amounts to less than 100 watts of energy. You need a state of the art PWM / electronics that must be able to run at upto 2500watts and be careful with the design not to blow off the alternator or battery. Anything about 500watts will produce enough gas.

4d. Once you have enough gas you need to retard the engine. Our engines are designed for Petrol and not HHO. The efficiency of HHO is almost 1800 times more than Petrol and combustion will happen much more quickly and hence the need to retard the engine. In the modern cars this is quite a trick and has to be discussed on case to case basis.

4e. Once all the above is working fine, you need to cut down the petrol supply by an amount that is equal to the amount of gas your unit is able to produce. Again this is an electronic design. You will need to modify the signals that are sent to the car computer and vise versa. You need to design Map sensors (Manifold inlet air pressure control device) and also alter the signal coming from the Oxygen sensors to the on board computers.

Once all the above is done, you are all set to go.

Lastly for a good kit, that I feel is safe to use with Indian cars, and Indian road conditions, your cost may go up as high as 25K or even more. However if these kits are mass produced the cost can come down, the statistics is something that I have not worked on as yet.

I do not believe in patents and I am not a shop to sell things. I am an engineer and work on open source codes. I have invested almost 7 years in this technology and still believe I have yet a lot to learn, and my job as an engineer is to work on technology and not on commercial reasons. I am here to share my experience and to gain from the experience of others for the benefit of all and for the cause of the environment.

Anjeel Babbar

Last edited by GTO : 21st October 2008 at 13:14. Reason: Please do NOT cut-copy-paste from other word softwares. It results in a formatting error.
anjeel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed