Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2016, 12:11   #76
BHPian

Re: All about car dent repair & painting - Processes, methods & tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
How bad is the damage really? Could you post some pictures ?
I do not have pictures of the damage. However the dent was mild and the impacted area was less than the palm of the hand on both the panels.
Old 5th April 2016, 15:59   #77
Senior - BHPian

I don't think even for the panel with the dent - there would be any necessity to go back to bare metal. Normally the preference is to sand back to base, then apply top coat and clear-coat.

You would really need to ensure that the colour match is perfect. Even with chassis colour codes, there is always some difficulty - however as it's the rear , it would hardly be noticeable.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2016, 10:17   #78

I got this scratch from an auto rickshaw's bumper. I am not sure if it's deep but after wiping with some oil the visual ugliness has reduced. It's not whitish anymore but the red metallic color has faded and it does not feel smooth when I touch by hand.

Now, can anyone please suggest if I should immediately repair it or can it wait? I can ignore the scratch visually but don't want to compromise with the health of the body. But as I am still learning driving I am expecting more scratches on the body in future. So can I do the repairing after few months?
Attached Thumbnails
All about car dent repair & painting - Processes, methods & tools-img20160405wa0002.jpg  

Old 6th April 2016, 16:50   #79
BHPian

Paint spray mist removal

I had given my white Duster to Trident Renault for replacement of rear bumper. They assured that the replacement bumper black in color would be painted and refixed and would not impact other parts of the car body. Well it did not happen exactly like that as I found paint spray on the black plastic below the bumper; not a big issue. Then I find that the even the front wheel arches and bonnet are no longer smooth to touch even though I did couple of waxing myself. I took it to 3M car care in Coimbatore and they are certain there is a fine spray/mist of paint and that has to be removed to get the smoothness back. Any idea how to achieve that without affecting the clearcoat? Any DIY idea with suggestion for sourcing cleaners/brands.....Much appreciate. Cheers
Old 6th April 2016, 18:40   #80
BHPian

Re: Paint spray mist removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
I had given my white Duster to Trident Renault for replacement of rear bumper. They assured that the replacement bumper black in color would be painted and refixed and would not impact other parts of the car body. Well it did not happen exactly like that as I found paint spray on the black plastic below the bumper; not a big issue. Then I find that the even the front wheel arches and bonnet are no longer smooth to touch even though I did couple of waxing myself. I took it to 3M car care in Coimbatore and they are certain there is a fine spray/mist of paint and that has to be removed to get the smoothness back. Any idea how to achieve that without affecting the clearcoat? Any DIY idea with suggestion for sourcing cleaners/brands.....Much appreciate. Cheers
This is probably because of an over spray from other cars being painted in the vicinity.
Buy a rubbing compound and gently buff the paint with a soft cloth.
Old 7th April 2016, 12:46   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahid View Post
Now, can anyone please suggest if I should immediately repair it or can it wait? I can ignore the scratch visually but don't want to compromise with the health of the body. But as I am still learning driving I am expecting more scratches on the body in future. So can I do the repairing after few months?
Other than hastening the process of attracting dirt in the furrow, wiping the area with oil does not serve any useful purpose.

Since you are still learning to drive, it's possible that you may have a few more marks to show for your endeavors at some point along the way.

Hence, my advise would be to wait for at least a year before attempting repair.

Having said that, the photo clearly shows the bare metal is not visible, hence rest assured that no rust will set in - if that's what you are concerned about.

Keep revving!
Old 7th April 2016, 14:53   #82

Quote:

Having said that, the photo clearly shows the bare metal is not visible, hence rest assured that no rust will set in - if that's what you are concerned about.

Keep revving!
Thank you very much for the reply. I was loosing hope on getting a reply as I was expecting that everyone will understand the heartache when you get first scratch on your first car.

Now I have learned about the level of depth of a scratch from various threads including yours and I myself understood that it did not go to the metal. After your assurance I am no more concerned about the rust and decided to go to repair shop at least 6 months later.

Last edited by Nahid : 7th April 2016 at 15:00.
Old 12th April 2016, 19:37   #83
BHPian

A query on the "3M polish" routinely done at Honda service centres. I understand this of the type where a few microns of clear coat is removed to eliminate minor scratches. How many times over an ownership period of say 8 years can this be done without having to re-apply the clear coat?
Old 1st May 2016, 18:00   #84
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Within 2 months of getting my polo Gt tsi its been vandalized 3 times. Ive gotten professional help in these instances, but this has happened again yesterday and with a vengance. This delinquent has even tried to scratch the sticker.

Please see the image

After reading several threads here and watching detailing videos on youtube, i now feel the urge to give this a try myself as i cant bring myself to spending 3k each time.

I dont think the clear coat has been breached as these scratches seems less deep compared to the ones that were inflicted earlier and those were removed by the pros compeletely

So

1. Would this need wet sanding or would just a compound/polish do the trick?

Be advised that im a complete newbie when it comes to detailing and the only "detailing" that i do is use Ultimata waterless wash plus and finish off with Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax.

So i dont own any rotary, DA or orbital machine and will be using good old elbow grease

If it needs wet sanding, is this an easy process and can i mess it up more than how it is now due to inexperience?

Where can i source 2000 grit sandpaper that most experts on youtube recommend. Couldnt find any on autofresh.in or ultimatedetailerz

2. If this can be cleaned up with just compound or polish, can i use a single dual action product? perhaps meguiars scratch x? or would A filler based polish like Autoglym work better?

If one of you experts could guide me with regards to product choice and some tips, I'd appreciate it a lot, specially some guidance from you, JoyBhowmick

Also please suggest products that are easily available in India and in smaller packs as i dont think i would need these again in the near future as I have now installed surveillance cameras which should serve as a deterrent against future vandalism

Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 10:31   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Hi Guys,

I dont think the clear coat has been breached as these scratches seems less deep compared to the ones that were inflicted earlier and those were removed by the pros compeletely

So

1. Would this need wet sanding or would just a compound/polish do the trick?

2. If this can be cleaned up with just compound or polish, can i use a single dual action product? perhaps meguiars scratch x? or would A filler based polish like Autoglym work better?

Thanks
I would suggest to apply a clear coat pen very carefully in the furrow followed by a simple polishing compound such as 3M brand - as a first choice.

Wet sanding is not recommended under the circumstance, as you don't gain anything by scraping the clear-coat and/or a few microns of the top-coat - it will just end up showing the patch in the sun.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 5th May 2016 at 10:38.
Old 5th May 2016, 17:43   #86
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest to apply a clear coat pen very carefully in the furrow followed by a simple polishing compound such as 3M brand - as a first choice.

Wet sanding is not recommended under the circumstance, as you don't gain anything by scraping the clear-coat and/or a few microns of the top-coat - it will just end up showing the patch in the sun.
Thanks for your advice, Joy.

Are you referring to the "fixit pro pen" ?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/252376845756

On amazon it has some real bad reviews

Could you also please give me a link to the 3m polishing compound you are referring to. Is it this one?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/131358816421

Also have you suggested this solution as i said i was looking for products easily available in India and in smaller packaging, or is the best solution in your opinion.

Thanks
nova9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 18:51   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Are you referring to the "fixit pro pen" ?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/252376845756

On amazon it has some real bad reviews

Could you also please give me a link to the 3m polishing compound you are referring to. Is it this one?

http://www.ebay.in/itm/131358816421

Also have you suggested this solution as i said i was looking for products easily available in India and in smaller packaging, or is the best solution in your opinion.

Thanks
Yes fix it pro. I dont like it either because it does not have a smooth flow from the applicator. But you are supposed to just touch up ... something like how it says in the video here.

The better way (but you need to do some legwork here) is to locate an automotive paint retailer, and buy 50 ml of clear coat in a bottle. Then use a fine paint brush to dab at the furrow with a very light touch. Essentially fill it up to the best of your ability.

This is the polish I have used with good results.. or you can use any polish as you wish- so long as its not rubbing compound.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/3m-c...a-127520450000

Finally , this will never bring it back to status quo. But it will stop being an eyesore - when glanced at from a distance. A closer examination under the bright light will expose what you did - but who's looking?
joybhowmik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 16:54   #88
BHPian

Quote:
This is the polish I have used with good results.. or you can use any polish as you wish- so long as its not rubbing compound.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/3m-c...a-127520450000
Joy, my car suffered a dent few days back. For the garages, it is only a full painting job. But I don't wish to spend that much money. I think I cannot fix the dent on my own but if I can even do the scratch removals, that would be good. I have checked the youtube for help and saw a video by ChrisFix. Now I have a specific question.

The guy used soap water, sand paper, polish and wax (two different tubes). But when I checked online for 3M or formula 1, they have cream wax like the one you showed. So is polish and wax same? The one shared by you here is listed as wax on Amazon. But I not able to find polish.

Also, for removing the paint (of other car) that got rubbed on my cars panels, what is the solution to use?
Old 11th May 2016, 09:32   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
So is polish and wax same? The one shared by you here is listed as wax on Amazon. But I not able to find polish.

Also, for removing the paint (of other car) that got rubbed on my cars panels, what is the solution to use?
The listing on snapdeal says polish - not wax- and that's why it showed up when I searched for polish. The labelling on the product is wax - and is not the product I intended to mean. Apologies for the misleading information

The polish comes in a bottle - from memory I think it was "Fast cut +". You can also look for other brands - Turtle/Coido/Meguiar etc
The wax comes in a can as shown above. There are other brands apart from 3M offering these.

The polish contains fine abrasives (unlike rubbing compound with coarse grained abrasives) - and is better applied on scratches that are about 1200 grit or less deep (15 microns or less).

Waxing after the polishing - leaves a layer on the paint -helping protect it from the environment.

For removing the paint transferred to your car :
1) use soap, water and a microfiber cloth to remove the majority of the deposit.
2) For deeper deposits - use the polish with microfiber cloth. Do so vigorously and check progress repeatedly - to ensure you are not abrading top-coat as well.
Old 13th May 2016, 21:05   #90
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I drive my 5yr old black Vento. Planning to repaint it to silver as we are bored of black, car gets really hot in summers and scratches all visible.

ASS gave a quote of Rs 60000 while got quotes from regular garages ranging from Rs 25000 to 40000 all claiming that they use DuPont paint.

Please let me know if you any friends have an experience of getting their car entirely repainted. Any good references will be appreciated.

I got a quote of Rs. 25000 from a company called Steero.in which is apparently the lowest and again claim to be using DuPont

Any expert help on the topic will be appreciated.

Regards, Nitesh

Most Viewed