Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: I have personally used their services and would rate them as:
Recommended 2 22.22%
NOT recommended 7 77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2015, 16:08   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
O am yet to get the car. I will definitely write about the quality of paint finish. The delay is because of rains in Chennai.

Take it to Yehaya - he will inspect and tell if it can be fixrf. If just clamps are broken, we can weld it into place / use a screw / bolt and fasten it, else it needs replacement.

Bharath any updates did you get your car back how is the work and the finish. If you have delivery some pics along with feedback will be good
Old 30th November 2015, 13:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knownstrangerr View Post
Bharath any updates did you get your car back how is the work and the finish. If you have delivery some pics along with feedback will be good
Hi - the painting quality was very good. It was almost on par with the A.S.S.

He has done a very god job but I personally wasn't happy with the time taken. I know there were rains in Chennai, but still the turnaround could have been better. I will post a detailed review soon.

I do not have pics today, as the bumper is dirty due to waterlogging in Chennai.
Old 11th December 2015, 13:50   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Is this what is called a multibrand workshop...it appears to be a regular 'mechanic shop' as we used to call them !
Also, how do we know that the spares used are original as someone has posted ? The market is rife with fake parts.
I am not finding fault with Speed Motors but I feel that calling this a multibrand workshop is overdoing it.
Multibrand simply means what "multicuisine restaurant" means in chennai

He services all brands of cars, and does a decent job of it. Don't expect high class paint quality - and calibrate your expectations. As you point out, he's a skilled street side motor mechanic.

You can buy parts from any authorized parts dealer and get them to him, so you're sure. The other thing is, it is always wise to remove memory sticks, hood ornaments, gps or other stuff that you care about when you give your car for servicing, I'd have thought. I've given my car with a windshield mount and that has remained intact.

I guess the delay people note is because he's kind of overloaded with work - his yard is always crowded these days and I think he's bought the adjoining garage too (the one at the very end of the road).
Old 20th December 2015, 18:04   #64
Senior - BHPian

Have given my Santro for service as it got flooded in the recent Chennai rains.

I will be getting it back within a couple of days - Will update the status of the same once I get to drive it.
Old 27th December 2015, 10:50   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have given my Santro for service as it got flooded in the recent Chennai rains.

I will be getting it back within a couple of days - Will update the status of the same once I get to drive it.
i got back the car - I would rate it 95 / 100. Except for minor works almost everything is rectified. I happened to drive it around town and am quite pleased. I did a Velachery - Egmore & a Velachery Mettukuppam run.

I paid 65,000/- for fixing it and it was delivered in about two weeks time. A.S.C quoted two months and 1.5 lacs for my santro. Chose Yehaya and am happy with the decision.

Yehaya also shared with the fact that there are almost 100+ cars waiting to be serviced with him. It seems he got lot of customers who read this thread on our forum and used his services

Last edited by scopriobharath : 27th December 2015 at 10:54.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 23:10   #66
Senior - BHPian

By the way based on the post by GTO here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ink-again.html ..

You have a 2007 model Santro that cost 65k to repair after flood damage - that would probably be a large fraction of the residual value of the car.

The buy vs keep decision certainly factors in here on how confident you are of keeping that vehicle - already old and now flood damaged - in running condition for say two or three years more.

Your thought process in making the repair vs replace call would be interesting
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 22:35   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Your thought process in making the repair vs replace call would be interesting
Although buying a new one makes sense at this point, I am actually planning on taking my first home loan, so I am not in a position to take a car loan.

Whether the economics work out or not, I need to live with the old car and repair as and when something fails.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 13:28   #68
Senior - BHPian

Does someone have a trusted engine oil sales sort of place in adyar or nearby? I plan on getting my oil changed the next time I drop my car into speed motors for some minor repairs (the honda ASS will overcharge for their idemitsu cobranded oil).

Yehaya @ speed motors will probably source the oil for me but I prefer to pay by card as far as possible for such stuff. Else has someone had good luck buying engine oil online off Amazon / Flipkart?
Old 7th August 2016, 07:42   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hi Hserus,

He told me that water wash and wheel alignment will be outsourced. There is no way wheel alignment can be done manually, as the imperfections in alignment are not visible to the naked eye.
Here is the outfit he uses for water wash by the way - I have used it too since he told me about it a few months back.

Josh Car Spa - it is in a small lane one or two lanes away from the Thiruvanmiyur Depot when coming towards the LB Road signal.

http://www.joshcarspa.com/

No 163 , Thiruvalluvar Salai ,
Thiruvanmiyur,( Near Thiruvanmiyur Signal )
Chennai - 600 041.
Phone: 8939 89 3636

Google Maps - https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...dc7c5c5f128991

For Wheel Alignment - RR Tyres which others (including Phamilyman eariier in the thread) have mentioned. Bridgestone dealer. Just one or two doors before the S2 Thyagaraja theater, next to Bharani Restaurant.

Door No:-97, LB Road, Near by Thyagaraja Theatre, Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600041
Phone: 044 2452 3386

Google Maps - https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/....2561505?hl=en

Last edited by hserus : 7th August 2016 at 07:45.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 10:20   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Josh Car Spa - it is in a small lane one or two lanes away from the Thiruvanmiyur Depot when coming towards the LB Road signal.
For Wheel Alignment - RR Tyres which others (including Phamilyman eariier in the thread) have mentioned. Bridgestone dealer. Just one or two doors before the S2 Thyagaraja theater, next to Bharani Restaurant.
Thank you for the info - Unfortunately, I am NOT satisfied with the Quality of Car wash or wheel alignment

1) If it is a Car-Spa - their quality ought to be higher than water-wash garages or man with a bucket wash. I am personally not happy with the soap used and also their attention to details seems to lack (dirt stuck on alloys etc). I get the same quality of that of my car wash person at office, who used a bucket and cloth. Since a car spa should use foam / car shampoo and a pressure washer, I assume their quality should be better.

2) The steering was misaligned, and the car was pulling to left when I got the car after steering box issue. Since they are a wheel alignment only outlet (And not an A.S.S or a garage) I expected the alignment to be perfect the first time around. I then went to another guy (Ramesh tyre Velachery / Tarmani) and got them aligned perfectly.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 7th August 2016 at 10:21.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2016, 11:23   #71
Senior - BHPian

I've had more than decent results with Josh - including some grease marks on the back of my car near the license plate that cropped up for some reason

If he brings it back to his garage first, rather than straight to your house, that is a very muddy lane so you might get dirt on the alloys

Josh uses pressure washes and wuerth cleaning fluids, I am not sure if wuerth meets your tastes or not, if not there's always the much more expensive but certainly top notch 3M car wash down the road (near the Marundeeswarar temple)

I am not sure who he uses for tyre alignment, I have used RR tyres in the past and it has worked out great. Phamilyman also vouches for him somewhere earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Thank you for the info - Unfortunately, I am NOT satisfied with the Quality of Car wash or wheel alignment

1) If it is a Car-Spa - their quality ought to be higher than water-wash garages or man with a bucket wash. I am personally not happy with the soap used and also their attention to details seems to lack (dirt stuck on alloys etc). I get the same quality of that of my car wash person at office, who used a bucket and cloth. Since a car spa should use foam / car shampoo and a pressure washer, I assume their quality should be better.

2) The steering was misaligned, and the car was pulling to left when I got the car after steering box issue. Since they are a wheel alignment only outlet (And not an A.S.S or a garage) I expected the alignment to be perfect the first time around. I then went to another guy (Ramesh tyre Velachery / Tarmani) and got them aligned perfectly.
Old 7th August 2016, 15:38   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Josh uses pressure washes and wuerth cleaning fluids, I am not sure if wuerth meets your tastes or not, if not there's always the much more expensive but certainly top notch 3M car wash down the road (near the Marundeeswarar temple)

I am not sure who he uses for tyre alignment, I have used RR tyres in the past and it has worked out great. Phamilyman also vouches for him somewhere earlier in the thread.
Well - Yehaya in general keeps the car wash to the end, before delivery. I am NOT referring to dust but to black dirt on alloy wheels, which can easily be cleaned with a pressure washer and wurth. All they need is a little more attention to detail at least for Yehaya's vehicles. If a customer likes the quality of the wash, he might get back to josh for a full interior + exterior detailing package. Secondly, they might use the most expensive compounds available but end of the day, its not upto the mark.

Since we are paying Yehaya, I would tell that it is his responsibility to ensure washing is done properly, whether it is done by him / Josh or magic. The price of service includes washing, so it should be good, as he charges for it.

Same goes for Wheel alignment as well. The cost of steering box repairs includes wheel and steering geometry alignment. Whether he uses RR tyres or any other outlet or even does it the trial-and error method, at the end of the day, the steering if offset 5 degrees to the right. 1) machine would point out the alignment error, second, when its driven back from RR Tyres to speed motors, the imperfection is easily visible to the naked eye, leave alone trained mechanics.

So net-net - ball dropped

So my conclusion is that at least wheel alignment / steering geometry and washing quality was below expectations.
Old 17th November 2016, 20:15   #73
Senior - BHPian

Speed Motors now accepts credit cards thanks to this demonetisation.

I happened to be there when another bhpian came in to collect a skoda fabia that had rat bitten wiring, and he was able to pay by card.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 12:49   #74
Senior - BHPian

A rather unsatisfied customer this - used Speed Motors to restore a flood damaged Getz and didn't get much service from the mechanics there. [Yahya seems to have been busy / away for the most part]

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ndai-getz.html
Old 9th June 2017, 15:11   #75
BHPian

Another happy customer of Speed motors here. Had previously gone to him about 3 years ago to fix a broken silencer for my old Alto which Maruti A.S.S. suggested full replacement. Yehaya had done that job with a bit of welding for 200 rupees.

This time, the accessory shop guy who replaced my Punto Evo's headlight bulb had messed up the reflector and one of the locking clips had broken. Took it to Yehaya after confirming from the A.S.S. that this is totally damaged and the whole assembly needs to be replaced. He fixed it in about 15 mins. Overall, a place I would recommend highly provided you're okay with the less than sophisticated decor.

Most Viewed