Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: I have personally used their services and would rate them as:
Recommended 2 22.22%
NOT recommended 7 77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2018, 13:00   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)

Got into a spot of trouble on my recent Valparai drive with other BHPians and thanks to Yahya Bhai for doing a great job. Reposted from the Valparai trip report thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The journey was sort of interrupted for me by my Scorpio being kissed by a truck that I tried to overtake on a two lane part of the road, which would have worked but for a tractor unexpectedly coming into the opposite lane from a side road.

Getting back to my side of the road in a hurry, I discovered to my cost that the Scorpio isn't quite as agile as my other ride, a Ford Fiesta. But thank God, a lot sturdier than the Ford. End result - a scraped ORVM skull cap, and a long scratch that covered the bonnet, front fender, front door, missed the rear door but continued onto the rear of the car, leading to a bashed in left side tail assembly glass.
Well, I felt I owed the forum an update. The Scorpio is back. Let me post some before and after pictures.

I also took the downtime offered to have Speed Motors fix some other minor niggles (loose screws in the front passenger side door, loose nut in the gear knob etc) and also to get a set of LED lights installed from the same Aliexpress vendor CN Sunnylight that I used for my Fiesta. Pretty good build quality, with both a fan and a heat sink, and well engineered components.

Here are some before and after pictures.

Before

Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)-9fffa96a95524c69879a94909d6148cd.jpeg

Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)-09615a7cc1594697a4e715d1e7324a81.jpeg

Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)-a924ba00029d4972a7ad496fecd8af00.jpeg

Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)-fb97ea2425174676b5cf1dba9ea7d8e2.jpeg

Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)-6a91c4191cc44e0f9ddb5d7613e2e938.jpeg

Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)-5cbb56c9940b468480b275f24ba94c0c.jpeg

Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)-f4309118305542628ea907ec0e7b028a.jpeg

After

Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)-66b3d7e89c3d4ba19cd939dcebd24c47.jpeg

Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)-d21370529c1b40048c440959185455cb.jpeg

Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)-575f1b496778488fa49baf93c7a08403.jpeg

Last edited by hserus : 27th May 2018 at 13:07.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 19:38   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
http://www.chennaispeedmotors.com / 98412 81481 / Yehaya Salim.
I did not search six pages on from the first post to see if the new one is here already, but that link is no longer valid. Anyway, probably no harm in repeating it...

Speed Motors.
Old 15th June 2018, 17:44   #78
BHPian

I've given my Car last Wednesday for replacing glow plugs and ABS sensor along with the general service. Yehaiya took 2 days to diagnose and report me the list of problems after multiple follow-ups and now will take another 5 days to source them and fit. I'll get my Car back only by next Wednesday.
Also strangely he has asked for 10k deposit (out of the estimated 14k bill).

I'm not sure if this is because he is too busy or doesn't care to service a 7+ year old Car but the delay is inexplicable. Let me see how soon he is going to deliver and the quality of work!
Old 15th June 2018, 18:13   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxvistian View Post
I've given my Car last Wednesday for replacing glow plugs and ABS sensor along with the general service. Yehaiya took 2 days to diagnose and report me the list of problems after multiple follow-ups and now will take another 5 days to source them and fit. I'll get my Car back only by next Wednesday.
Also strangely he has asked for 10k deposit (out of the estimated 14k bill).
He charges in advance for parts. And who keeps ABS sensors in ready stock? Not even authorized parts dealers, as it is a rather slow moving item, so he will need to order them and wait till they're supplied.

Further it is Ramzan tomorrow, followed by Sunday so I doubt he will work over the weekend.
Old 15th June 2018, 18:48   #80
BHPian

Quote:
He charges in advance for parts. And who keeps ABS sensors in ready stock? Not even authorized parts dealers, as it is a rather slow moving item, so he will need to order them and wait till they're supplied.

Further it is Ramzan tomorrow, followed by Sunday so I doubt he will work over the weekend.
Hello Hserus, Yeah I've thought about Ramzan too and hence didn't push him hard. Moreover he just needs to place the order and I'm sure Tata Vista's parts are not that hard to source and can very well get them by Monday.
Anyway I'm not in a hurry, can wait if the work is clean and good.

I find him genuine though with the price quote and the labor cost too is reasonable. I'll reserve my further comments till I get the car back.

BTW, Thanks for starting this thread and for the useful review on this work ship. Hope my experience will turn out to be positive too.
Old 15th June 2018, 20:09   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I find him genuine though with the price quote and the labor cost too is reasonable. I'll reserve my further comments till I get the car back.

BTW, Thanks for starting this thread and for the useful review on this work ship. Hope my experience will turn out to be positive too.
It's a pleasure. Let me know when you're next headed to Speed Motors and I will try to join you, I live fairly close by.

He does a good job but his yard is quite full so if you are in a real hurry you might need to follow up and request him.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 17:18   #82
BHPian

I wanted to give a quick update but couldn't keep track of this and forgetting to do so for long.

Yehaiya had given the car back with lots of delay and in fact he wasn't honest to accept the fact that the delay was not for sourcing the sensors but for the facts that he couldn't get around the replacement. He gave the car back for a few days without the ABS sensor work citing the delay in getting them. I could clearly sense that the braking system has completely gone for the toss and he told me to bear with that until he could fix the new sensors.

I had to keep following up and gave the car again in the following weekend for completing the work. I got a message from Tata Concorde motors ECR that there was a service appointment against my Car and I called up to check and understood that he gave my Car for the sensor replacement. I was not informed about this at all. By evening the work was completed which I came to know through the message.

He handed over the Car without providing any of these updates. The interiors were not cleaned at all with black marks all around the door pads and dashboard. Again the tools set were missing and got most of them except the towing rod which I've yet to receive and I'm sure I won't. Also I don't bother to get back to him. A total disappointment and will never suggest to anyone based on my bitter experience.
madmaxvistian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th July 2018, 17:25   #83
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry to hear that. He usually isn’t that sloppy. And he’s honest when it comes to not having stuff flicked out of the car. Wonder what happened.
Old 6th July 2018, 19:45   #84
BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry to hear that. He usually isn’t that sloppy. And he’s honest when it comes to not having stuff flicked out of the car. Wonder what happened.
That's okay, Thanks for the concern! A variety of experiences are needed to get a good FNG and it didn't work out well for me, that's all!
Old 6th July 2018, 21:09   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's okay, Thanks for the concern! A variety of experiences are needed to get a good FNG and it didn't work out well for me, that's all!
So, I spoke to him as I had gone there to trouble shoot a hissing noise in my Scorpio that I thought was a turbo air leak, it turned out to be low level of gas in the AC, which topping up the gas has fixed for now.

Anyway - a large part of the delay was that Tata dealers he reached out to refused to sell sensor parts over the counter so he needed to rely on Concorde to fix your sensor. And they had kept your car hanging around apparently, the first time.

I showed him your post and he said he’d speak to you and sort out any issues to your satisfaction. Good luck.
Old 6th July 2018, 21:47   #86
BHPian

Quote:
I showed him your post and he said he’d speak to you and sort out any issues to your satisfaction. Good luck.
I don't think the Car was given to Concorde the first time and I usually would get SMS when they take the Car in. Moreover the lack of consistency in updating the status and making me guessing all the time of the time line. It doesn't matter even if there was a delay but the way I was not told of all these things done at concorde isn't good.

I got to know of a different source and could have sourced myself had he expressed his inability to get the part,at least ,after a few days. Nevertheless the sensor and glow plugs were replaced. I'm planning to sell the car anyway which is long due and hence any follow up with him might not be needed.

Thanks Hserus, appreciate the follow-ups.
madmaxvistian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 01:55   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok - so, my first impression & goodwill (though expensive service) is down the drain. Mr. Bhai had taken an advance of 3600/- to change some part (as he had to place the order with FA$$) - he was not able to procure the part and after a month plus of waiting (with zero work on the car), I took my car back and gave it to Murugan who identified the issue correctly and also fixed it.

It's been at least 3 months and 15-20 calls, my advance is yet to be returned. I used to start my day calling him and asking for a refund, to receive some crappy response on how he struggles for money and will call back after arranging cash. I know for sure some of the bhpians vehicles have visited his garage in these months and have bills much higher than what he owes me, in addition to other vehicles.

Heads up to the potential customers - avoid advance with Speed motors. I am going to follow up one last time in the coming week - will forego the cash if unsuccessful. Will update the thread.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th January 2019 at 01:59.
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2019, 06:57   #88
Senior - BHPian

This is sad. I generally don't advance cash to him for parts, just buy them myself from GP Road and bring them along so haven't run into this. But small mechanics tend to work on very limited cash flow and this is a "I should have seen that coming" moment. I guess he will end up offering to adjust the cost against future labor charges.
Old 8th January 2019, 09:03   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Heads up to the potential customers - avoid advance with Speed motors. I am going to follow up one last time in the coming week - will forego the cash if unsuccessful. Will update the thread.
Thanks - was evaluating FNG options for my car; the last two experiences including yours seems to clearly indicate a downward trend. Please do share an update accordingly.

Quote:
Quote:
This is sad. I generally don't advance cash to him for parts, just buy them myself from GP Road and bring them along so haven't run into this. But small mechanics tend to work on very limited cash flow and this is a "I should have seen that coming" moment.
Your earlier advice/view to @madmaxvistian indicates otherwise.

I guess you meant wrt to the trustworthiness of the mechanic wrt the bold portion. But on the safer side, I'd probably agree with @swiftnfurious for avoiding this garage. I hope your future experiences with them remain fine keeping in mind your long relationship.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 22:58   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
... am going to follow up one last time in the coming week - will forego the cash if unsuccessful. Will update the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Thanks ...Please do share an update accordingly....
Went to the garage last week and met Bhai in person! He had trouble even recognizing me, may be it's been 3-4 months, plus I was on my bike.

He started with how it was festival season and he was short on funds etc etc. Told him to be upfront if he doesn't want to return the amount and also I can't waste time calling him numerous times to keep hearing excuses. He told me a final date (another final one ) that's the coming Tuesday to return the funds. Will visit him and update the post.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed