Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: I have personally used their services and would rate them as:
Recommended 2 22.22%
NOT recommended 7 77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2014, 11:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)

I first saw my neighbor's Figo, which had a front bumper twisted and almost wrenched off after a speeding innova sideswiped his vehicle. He sent it in for repairs and got it back in a pristine condition.

A few days afterwards, my brand new Honda Amaze had some twit park too near it outside my daughter's school, and then slam his door open, leaving a big dent in my front passenger door. He then sped off, of course leaving no note or anything of the sort.

The dealer was quoting ~ 5k for denting and painting work, so I asked my neighbour for a contact. Got my car back with a very good denting and painting job done on it for about half the cost the dealer was quoting.

Speed Motors is a tiny garage at the very end of a narrow lane - in Shastri Nagar, take the right next to Khivraj Motors, then on your left there's an apartment building with an unmarked lane next to it, that's full of auto garages and at least one warehouse.

Barely enough clearance left and right to drive your car in - and once you do, it is at the end of the lane, on the right hand corner. The owner (Mr.Yehaya) speaks good English, and the garage has a couple of elderly dogs and a rooster that appear to be pets - good fun to watch while your car is being worked on.

http://www.chennaispeedmotors.com / 98412 81481 / Yehaya Salim.
hserus is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 19:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)

I took my car to the Hyundai free car care clinic and i was told that silencer has a hole and needs to be replaced. I was quoted 5500 + labour + tax to replace it . They strictly said they do not repair it, but will replace only.

I immediately searched for FNG recommendations here and foung two options. Speed motors and Ignite garage. I am choosing speed motors due to proximity to my workplace.

I spoke to Yehaya now. He appears to be a nice person. He has quoted me Rs 300/- to 400/- to "weld" the probable holes in the exhaust pipe / silencer. I am surely going to take it to him in a day or two. Will update the experience post his work
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 09:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Did you take it in yet? If your car is a 2007 model it is surely better to patch it up rather than spring for new parts unless absolutely necessary.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 11:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Did you take it in yet? If your car is a 2007 model it is surely better to patch it up rather than spring for new parts unless absolutely necessary.
I am yet to take it. Too much office pressure this week. I might do it on Monday.

Yes !! My Santro is a 2007 model. I am more interested to patch it up only as it would work for 400/- . A new one is almost 15 times more
Old 10th November 2014, 16:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yehaya / Speed Motors is by the way not just a denting and painting outfit, he also does electrical, engine rebuild etc work. From what I saw of his workshop he does a pretty good job of it.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2014, 17:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

I visted the place and fixed my Santro's exhaust pipe today. I will give a full 10/10 for the work done.

The owner Yehaya Salim is very polite and responsive. He has complete autmotive workshop facility

Provides:
  1. AC Services
  2. Denting and Painting
  3. Accident repair
  4. Regular service and maintenance
  5. Minor repairs and fixes

• I was quoted 6000/- to replace the silencer. Got it welded from Salim for 200/-
  • Trained mechanics
  • Very friendly
  • Was telling the importance of delivering on time
  • competitive pricing
  • Car Detailing not available

Dislikes:
  • Road to his hsop is always blocked by tempos and trucks. Need to wait before getting out.
  • No seating/reception area

Directions:
Turn into MG Road from LB Road and head towards Besant Nagar.
Pass by Adayar Anandha Bhavan sweet / hotel on the left
Look out for Konica Studio/Lab on the left, a couple of blocks after the hotel
Turn left onto First main road (the next left after Konica) and after 300-400 mts, look out for Ayyappa tea stall on the right
There is a mud road adjacent to the tea stall
The garage is the last outlet after the old paper / cardboard stockist

Google Maps search query for GPS: Adroit Urban Developers Aura One, Adyar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 10th November 2014 at 18:17.
scopriobharath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 07:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
  • No seating/reception area
Ha ha. Seating and reception area is one asbestos sheet / tarpaulin covered area with a desk and a couple of chairs. Else it is an open yard with another shed for tool storage.

Very basic - like a roadside mechanic shed, but that's how he is able to offer quality service at low cost I guess.

Quote:
Directions:
Turn into MG Road from LB Road and head towards Besant Nagar.
Pass by Adayar Anandha Bhavan sweet / hotel on the left
Look out for Konica Studio/Lab on the left, a couple of blocks after the hotel
Turn left onto First main road (the next left after Konica) and after 300-400 mts, look out for Ayyappa tea stall on the right
There is a mud road adjacent to the tea stall
The garage is the last outlet after the old paper / cardboard stockist

Google Maps search query for GPS: Adroit Urban Developers Aura One, Adyar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Adroit Aura One apartment building is as good a landmark as any - and right next to the lane where this shed is.

Lane right next to the State bank adjacent to Khivraj motors is easy enough to get. Khivraj is a Maruti dealer that has been there in the same spot for at least a couple of decades.

Last edited by hserus : 11th November 2014 at 07:20. Reason: misplaced quote tags
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2014, 14:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

My Santro's "Bonnet opening cable" had come loose. I went back to Salim today and he fixed it in 2 mins.

I met fellow BHPian VVVijay's Friend Ravi. He had come for some body work for his Accent. The word of mouth and reviews from Team BHP is really helping him. He is getting lot of oppurtunities. I am sure he will get lot of business if he keeps up the good work.
scopriobharath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 20:33   #9
BHPian

Re: Multi-brand Car Workshop - Speed Motors (Shastri Nagar, Chennai)

Hi

I need to get regular service done for my i10 which is close to 7 years old now. Hyundai dealers extort money and are a strict no-no to me. I was getting it serviced by Mr. Chicky. Since he has moved out of BV Automobiles Arumbakkam, I am looking for a new workshop to get the regular service/oil change done. Would you recommend Speed Motors for a service? I plan to get it done this week. Speed motors is close to where I live now.

Thanks and regards
Madhav
maddyoni10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 20:42   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyoni10 View Post
I need to get regular service done for my i10 which is close to 7 years old now. Hyundai dealers extort money and are a strict no-no to me. I was getting it serviced by Mr. Chicky. Since he has moved out of BV Automobiles Arumbakkam, I am looking for a new workshop to get the regular service/oil change done. Would you recommend Speed Motors for a service? I plan to get it done this week. Speed motors is close to where I live now.
Yes I recommend him. I am planning to take my Santro for service early next year to him only. He seems to be geniune guy.

He guarantees a 40% increase in efficieny if he services the vehicle, compared to the Hyundai A.S.S and also mentions that he would replace a component if necassary and not do preventive maintenance. Cost will be approximately 4000/- and turnaround time is 1-2 days.
Old 20th November 2014, 15:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Wanted to replace my Santro AC knob. The knob has stopped working. The A/C on off switch is jammed and also the rotary blower control is not working. Hyundai A.S.S HMP asked close to 3200/- for replacement. I am getting it done for around 2000/- with Yehaya.

I called him and he picked up the car from my office in Taramani. He even offered to drop it back once the work is done. He himself said, it would take 2-3 hrs and waiting is a waste of time.

I will update the effectiveness of the service once i get back the car in the evening.

Name:  santro AC.PNG
Views: 7303
Size:  218.5 KB

Last edited by scopriobharath : 20th November 2014 at 15:17.
Old 20th November 2014, 22:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

The car was delivered back to my office. I would rate the work done as 10/10 . Could not have expected anything better. He used geniune hyundai spare parts, which is a big plus for me. . I will definetly recommend him and go to him the next time. The AC switch had burnt and this was the reason the switch was failing to work

I was charged 1450/- for the part + 300 for labor including delivery. I would rate this as a very VFM service and job.
Old 23rd November 2014, 14:00   #13
RSR
Senior - BHPian

@ hserus and scopriobharath, thank you very much for this recommendation, gentlemen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Yehaya / Speed Motors is by the way not just a denting and painting outfit, he also does electrical, engine rebuild etc work. From what I saw of his workshop he does a pretty good job of it.
Quote:
I visted the place and fixed my Santro's exhaust pipe today. I will give a full 10/10 for the work done.

The owner Yehaya Salim is very polite and responsive. He has complete autmotive workshop facility.
Wonderful!! Just the sort of option I was looking for! The silencer on our i10 1.1 has developed a very sporty note and needs to be fixed soon or replaced. I hope Mr. Yehaya Salim can fix it. The clutch pedal also needs to be adjusted, for it has developed massive play.

How long did it take to fix the silencer - does he have a dug-out or a lift to work on the underbody? Can I hang around there while they fix it? I'm curious because it's far from my place and I would prefer to get it done in a couple of hours or so, instead of travelling back and forth.

Last edited by RSR : 23rd November 2014 at 14:09.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2014, 15:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
How long did it take to fix the silencer - does he have a dug-out or a lift to work on the underbody? Can I hang around there while they fix it? I'm curious because it's far from my place and I would prefer to get it done in a couple of hours or so, instead of travelling back and forth.
Hi RSR - No !! He does not have a pit or a vehicle lift. He just makes a mechanic lie on the ground and did it. I was okay with it, because of a selfish motive. If he had those lifts, that would mean we would need more money for the job done, as he would have to break-even that lift.

He jacked up the car and placed some metal stands to support the car. Then they put a cardboard sheet under the car and one of the mechanics lied down underneath the car and initially inspected the same. The welding was done in less than 30 mins. Yehaya is very interactive and one can roam around and just observe the work being done on other cars .

Yes !! you could wait and take the vehicle but please note that there is no place to wait other than one plastic chair. Also, the nearest hotel for meals is a good 15 min walk from there. I predict 30 mins for welding and another 45 mins for clutch adjust.

Let me PM you with some questions.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 23rd November 2014 at 15:18.
Old 23rd November 2014, 15:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Actually just round the corner and to the left - there is a small shop called "Rotiwala" run by some north indians, that serves chat / samosa / cutlet / jalebi, and in the afternoons / late evenings, they also serve roti subzi and parathas.

Go a little farther to the main road (LB Road) and there's this place called Adyar Sree Bhavan on the opposite side of the road (the side that goes from adyar depot towards the adyar signal). The best tiffin in south chennai - far cheaper and tastier than fancier alternatives nearby such as Sangeetha.

[I live in adyar so you can trust me on that]
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks