Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2014, 19:22   #61
BHPian

I agree, I wonder how it's placed in other cars. I would never let anyone spray water into the engine bay.

Last edited by Whiplash7 : 12th October 2014 at 19:25.
Old 12th October 2014, 19:40   #62
Senior - BHPian

Re: Design Flaw with Honda i-DTEC in Amaze & City: Susceptibility to Hydrolocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If I am seeing it correctly, is the outlet facing up? I see that the pipe emerges from under the battery and then ends there with an cover on top. It looks stupid. A good splash of water can send it down the pipe. Though the upper cover protects the intake from water seepage, I don't think it can protect itself from the splashes caused due to driving in heavy rain or waterlogged roads.

Also this is the first time I'm seeing an intake pointing upwards, if that's really the intake duct.
Even if its up, its not a problem, for the simple reason, the intake has an arrangement in the piping where in the heavier water particles escape through it and the lighter air is pushed into the intake. My Swift Diesel has its air intake behind the front grill on the top side, pointing towards the front. Imagine in heavy rains if you are driving at 100 or 120, the water along with air is pushed directly inside the intake since the car is moving forward, what is stopping the water entering the Turbo which is right after the Air Intake ? Its the arrangement in the piping before it hits the turbo.

The only way the air enter the turbo and the engine later is when the intake itself is submerged in water and there is no air going in, just water.

The picture posted of the amaze, has the arrangement in the right place and definitely is not a design fault, is this the redesigned one?

The faulty one would most probably be at a much lower level than what is posted.

Last edited by humyum : 12th October 2014 at 19:41.
Old 12th October 2014, 19:59   #63
BHPian

Re: Design Flaw with Honda i-DTEC in Amaze & City: Susceptibility to Hydrolocking

[quote=humyum;3554809The picture posted of the amaze, has the arrangement in the right place and definitely is not a design fault, is this the redesigned one?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they voluntarily replaced the intake hose and I got my amaze in July 2014. I read somewhere that the old intake pipe had holes, probably to get rid of water that entered it but there is also a chance of water entering through the holes while driving through deep water puddles.
Whiplash7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2014, 22:07   #64
BHPian

Hello All ,

I sent an email to Honda today , may be somebody would have already done that however I personally wanted to get more clarity on the matter as well.

Lets see if they care to respond.

Design Flaw with Honda i-DTEC in Amaze & City: Susceptibility to Hydrolocking-email.jpg

Cheers,
pdma.
pdma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2014, 22:37   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Though being responsible, they will replace such a part in all their vehicles with or without calling a recall, I would be surprised if they will acknowledge this issue in writing and admit the same in front of you. They would rather issue a public recall instead. The best you can expect is a standard reply stating "Our cars are continuously improved to provide the best experience, performance and reliability, hence please be assured that there wouldn't be anything to cause worry"

Last edited by audioholic : 12th October 2014 at 22:41.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 12:06   #66
BHPian

I suggest all the I-Dtec owners to get this 'checked' by the authorized services either during regular service or as an ad-hoc request. Insist on getting this issue written on the issue list and in return getting the 'checked and found OK' type of confirmation while taking the car for delivery. That's what I did when I gave my car for service, though I still am not sure if the problem has been taken care of.
AmazeGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 15:40   #67
BHPian

That's really a bad thing, considering the exhaustive testing they've done prior to its launch in Brio mules.

But facing such issues is really an '!' on their engineering capabilities.
Low slung cars have their Air filter hose on the base of front bumper or behind the fog lamp but in this case maybe the hose is located high but its design might have played a havoc. As it's facing upward & just behind the front radiator grille & headlight, it is more prone to water splashes from own bumper, following & some oncoming traffic.
Can any one post the similar pics of Air inlet hose from a recently delivered or in-showroom Honda Amaze.

Initially, first gen VW Jetta in India, Honda Civic were complained of hydrostatic lock even when driven in mild water logged areas.
Old 13th October 2014, 17:05   #68

I was just going through the posts, I picked up my Diesel City in February 2014 and so far done about 17,500kms. Don't remember passing through huge puddles of water but with rains expected to hit Chennai soon, Is this something I need to worry about? I am a total Novice as far as any automobile knowledge is concerned (I don't even know how to change the tyres). Should I take my car to the service station to find out if mine is one of the affected batches? I bought my city from Capital Honda - Meenambakkam. Requesting your suggestions please!
Old 13th October 2014, 17:36   #69
BHPian

Ironically Their latest Ad on FM says.
"Honda amaze hai mere paas, jo bani hai indian roads ke liye."

When the company says made for india , i think they mean that since it is made specially for india, there is hardly any research and quality checks done for it.
Now i think i would be very skeptical of anything that has been made specifically for india.
Old 14th October 2014, 09:22   #70
Senior - BHPian

This is school boy design error from Honda! Can't believe that a brand like Honda can be so stupid.
Regardless, glad that they have taken responsibility and is fixed the bug via recalls.
Old 14th October 2014, 11:39   #71

An old Maruti 800 would have negotiated that puddle with ease. Surprising that Honda have put the inlet low down and then charge a customer to fix an issue caused by a design"flaw"?
Just my thoughts
Old 14th October 2014, 12:26   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
Ironically Their latest Ad on FM says.
"Honda amaze hai mere paas, jo bani hai indian roads ke liye."
Design Flaw with Honda i-DTEC in Amaze & City: Susceptibility to Hydrolocking-amaze.jpg

And the same advertisement shows Amaze driving through puddles of water

Source: Youtube Video Screenshot
.anshuman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 15:39   #73

It's been 3 months, and a little over 3000 kms for my iDTec, and so far the rains have been pretty bad in Bangalore, especially, the past 15 days or so. So far, haven't had any problems (touchwood!). Even in the very first drive, I drove over a "valley point" on the road with water at about 1.5 ft deep.
Not too sure if I would be that confident again, now that I've read this thread.
Any recent owners agreeing to my situation here?
Old 14th October 2014, 17:10   #74
Ice
BHPian

My 2014 Amaze has done 7500 km in the last 3 months, with the majority of the running being done in rainy Karnataka, rainy Goa, and sporadically rainy Chennai. I have driven through substantial puddles of water (1.5 ft - 2 ft.) but at a slow and steady pace. No issues seen till now.
Old 14th October 2014, 17:22   #75
Team-BHP Support

We have several owners of the i-DTEC Amaze on the forum and not a single snap of the air intake duct from the early models! Come on guys, pop up your Amaze's bonnet, click a few snaps and upload them please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
Here are pictures of what I think is the air intake and air filter in the Honda Amaze idtech E MT model.
It does look like the air intake opening to me. It is taking a bend from below the battery. When did you take the delivery of your car?

I am wondering if this is applicable to the Mobilio as well considering the engine bay of the Amaze and the Mobilio is exactly the same. Or is there a difference?
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks